PDA

View Full Version : Advice re Inspection

Jennifer Crooks
20-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi, I'm currently going through the process to register as a Childminder.
I have my inspection in 3 weeks and just looking for some advice please on what I need to have ready for inspection?
Any advice massively appreciated thank you !
What paperwork do I need to have in place ?
I have my policies and procedures that I had prepared for my application, do I use these for visit? Do they need to be on display ?
Fire drill procedure ? Child protection guidelines ?
Thank you

moggy
20-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Hello, to avoid confusion it is better to call this the 'registration visit' or 'pre-reg' it is sometimes known as. It is not an inspection. You are inspected within 30 months after registration and then graded.
The pre-reg visit is to see if you are ready to be a CMer and if your home is suitable, check your ID, check you know how to keep children safe and that you know the EYFS etc. Policies are good to show, they never need to be on display. The whole pre-reg visit is based on the booklet and guidance is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/childcare-registration-form-early-years-register-preparing-for-your-registration-visit

The inspector is there to help you get registered, it is not a 'test', you can discuss the questions, ask questions, ask if anything is not clear, refer to your notes/booklet. Revise your safeguarding training, know the signs of abuse and what to do, read the EYFS, check your house is safe- write or at least think through risk assessments of every room, garden and typical outings, car, school-run etc. A fire/emergency proceedure is a requirement of EYFS. Child protection should be in your safeguarding policy- look back on your training and it should all be there.

Good luck!

EDIT: Ah, just noticed you are in Scotland? Sorry, I am Ofsted/England... your process is different so maybe best to wait for Scottish advise!

Jennifer Crooks
20-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks Moggy.
I should of said I was in Scotland but advise sounds great thank you.