PDA

View Full Version : Persistent late payers?

mumofone
20-10-2015, 12:16 PM
I have a lovely family who never pay their bill on time and I'm having to chase every month which makes me feel really cr@p. But I do get annoyed as I'm not minding their child as a hobby or for fun! I don't know whether to just politely chase each month (they always then pay straight away) or to leave it a few days so the fact that they are paying late has more clout or to quietly apply my late payment fee for each day they pay late (but would rather not)...

JCrakers
20-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Ive had this in the past...its a right royal pain :mad:

Anyway, do you have mention of a late payment fee on the contract they signed? If so, I would remind them once more, tell them from now on if money isn't received on the day its due then the late payment will be billed. It's funny how once parents are reminded of this, they suddenly remember it....

If you don't have a late payment fee on your contracts I would put one in. Just say you're reviewing everyone's contracts to make sure they are up to date and you have also added in the fee. :D Then once its in, make sure you charge.

mumofone
20-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Ive had this in the past...its a right royal pain :mad: Anyway, do you have mention of a late payment fee on the contract they signed? If so, I would remind them once more, tell them from now on if money isn't received on the day its due then the late payment will be billed. It's funny how once parents are reminded of this, they suddenly remember it.... If you don't have a late payment fee on your contracts I would put one in. Just say you're reviewing everyone's contracts to make sure they are up to date and you have also added in the fee. :D Then once its in, make sure you charge.

Yeh I do have one, it's £10 a day but I just feel really crappy charging it, I know it's silly but I don't want to annoy them but in turn I'm getting annoyed!!

JCrakers
20-10-2015, 12:36 PM
It is hard when we work so closely with parents, we build up friendships and bonds with them but they need to understand that this is a job, we have bills to pay too :D

I hate confrontation with money but have learnt to be to the point.

Just take a professional yet friendly approach to it. Tell them that you have noticed that the money coming into your account is always a few days late and do they realise that when they signed the contract there is a late fee on there. Say you will waiver this month but if it happens again then you will have to add it on.
I would just state the fact that you hate talking about money but really need to be paid on the agreed date :thumbsup:

FloraDora
20-10-2015, 02:29 PM
I'd go along with JC on this..
There could be a reason for instance my payment day is 28th and one of my parents payday is the last day of the month...so that obviously doesn't gel...we discussed and I accept their payment on a different day.
The Voucher companies cause a bit of delay too if they take 3/5 days to clear and the parent gets paid later than these amount of days before your payment date.

Unfortunately it is the nature of being self employed too...when I worked for the LA they paid me regardless of their financial situation, once most of the payroll team were ill and the LA had to pay an external team to process it that month....at an extra cost....we have not got that type of security of guaranteed payment on the expected day.

Simona
20-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Most parents on a contract of employment will receive their salary on the same day each month.
Childcare vouchers receive money from HR well in advance of the day parents are paid.

There is a mitigating clause cms can put in their contract:
Parents are requested to inform the cm if, for any reason, fees are due late in any month.
With this you are putting the ball in the parents' court.
You can also state that failure to pay bills on time for a cm can result in 'negative credit' ratings!

Before you apply a penalty charge you have to state how and why you will do this...but please check with your insurance.
You can charge a penalty if you can prove you have lost financially during the late payment....double check on that....I was told that very clearly

You can add a penalty for late payment but there is no guarantee the parents will pay it
The last resort is to review your contract and state clearly : no fee...no care!

FloraDora
20-10-2015, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Simona;1410349]Most parents on a contract of employment will receive their salary on the same day each month.

Sorry Simona, I beg to differ, for 36 years my payday was the last Wednesday of the month....vast difference some months.
Also this same employee - An LA - only releases money to voucher company at the same time as payment made to employee.

mumofone
20-10-2015, 06:48 PM
I know it's not for me to judge but I think they are fairly well off so I don't think they are waiting for wages to hit their account etc. I understand with vouchers there's often a delay.

Simona
20-10-2015, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=Simona;1410349]Most parents on a contract of employment will receive their salary on the same day each month.

Sorry Simona, I beg to differ, for 36 years my payday was the last Wednesday of the month....vast difference some months.
Also this same employee - An LA - only releases money to voucher company at the same time as payment made to employee.

Yes...so the same day every month...last Wednesday in your example? Some are paid ...say on the 25 the and 26th every month...so same date
Assuming the last Wednesday was either 30 or 31 st of the month...we could still be paid in the next two days?

I received the information about vouchers from the company itself and confirmed by parents....maybe it has changed now?
It is possible to sort this out when cms interview parents and work out a date that allows parents to get paid then transfer money into our accounts.

While I believe that occasionally a parent can 'forget' ...persistent late payment is more of a worry...parents would not forget to pay mortgages or utilities bills so regularly...so a gentle reminder is not out of place

Simona
20-10-2015, 06:55 PM
I know it's not for me to judge but I think they are fairly well off so I don't think they are waiting for wages to hit their account etc. I understand with vouchers there's often a delay.

I always used to say to the parents: My Terms andConditions are to be paid on the 1st...do you have a problem with that? Is it suitable?
If there was an issue I would ask for payments on the 2nd...I feel that would be flexible enough,...it is not really a question of parents being well off...it is a contract and agreed by the parents that that would be the pay date for me....never had a problem.

natlou82
20-10-2015, 07:20 PM
I have a couple of families where I have to send regular reminders - it is annoying, but they do always pay when sent the reminder. I don't worry about offending them now I've just come to realise that some families do need a reminder.

Simona
20-10-2015, 07:24 PM
I have a couple of families where I have to send regular reminders - it is annoying, but they do always pay when sent the reminder. I don't worry about offending them now I've just come to realise that some families do need a reminder.

Good point!!!...it has made me reflect that we could put in our contract that 'a reminder will be sent 24 hours after due payment is not received'....a quick text would do the trick? thanks for that!

BallyH
20-10-2015, 07:38 PM
I also have to remind some families each month. I have spoken to them or sent a text. They are always very apologetic. Don't think I could charge them for being late or update contracts to say I will charge for late payments, I think some would really be annoyed. I take it as part of being self employed. We're all different.

FloraDora
20-10-2015, 07:57 PM
If a payment is not in my account on the set date...I always just send the invoice again,no comment on it - always works.

Simona
20-10-2015, 09:33 PM
I also have to remind some families each month. I have spoken to them or sent a text. They are always very apologetic. Don't think I could charge them for being late or update contracts to say I will charge for late payments, I think some would really be annoyed. I take it as part of being self employed. We're all different.

Yes we are...either a text or resending the invoice can do the trick!

JCrakers
21-10-2015, 07:31 AM
I had a persistent late payer that went on for months. I reminded her every month and even had a chat with her about how I was basically getting fed up of asking for money (in a kind way)
I didn't have any late payment fee in my contract because I hadn't needed one before this, but this parent was so late in paying every month and her excuses were she had forgotten or lost the invoice.

I reviewed everyone's contracts as my fee went up 25p and I added a £10 late fee into the terms. I went through the contract with her and she signed it and it was so surprising that from then on she pays on time.

It's funny what a thought of 'paying extra for something' can do to jog someone's memory :thumbsup:

I never forget to pay my MasterCard each month because I get charged interest and a £12 late fee, some people seem to put the childcare bill at the bottom of the pile.

Simona
21-10-2015, 08:18 AM
I had a persistent late payer that went on for months. I reminded her every month and even had a chat with her about how I was basically getting fed up of asking for money (in a kind way)
I didn't have any late payment fee in my contract because I hadn't needed one before this, but this parent was so late in paying every month and her excuses were she had forgotten or lost the invoice.

I reviewed everyone's contracts as my fee went up 25p and I added a £10 late fee into the terms. I went through the contract with her and she signed it and it was so surprising that from then on she pays on time.

It's funny what a thought of 'paying extra for something' can do to jog someone's memory :thumbsup:

I never forget to pay my MasterCard each month because I get charged interest and a £12 late fee, some people seem to put the childcare bill at the bottom of the pile.

Hear Hear !!