PDA

View Full Version : Sam Gyimah's interview: 30 hours and more

Simona
19-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Exclusive interview with Childcare Minister Sam Gyimah: France, funding and the 30 hours | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1154315/exclusive-interview-with-childcare-minister-sam-gyimah-france-funding-and-the-30-hours?utm_content=&utm_campaign=19.10.15%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnur sery-world%2Fnews%2F1154315%2Fexclusive-interview-with-childcare-minister-sam-gyimah-france-funding-and-the-30-hours)

Smiley
19-10-2015, 07:26 PM
It appears we will find out more at the end of November after the funding review.

Simona
20-10-2015, 08:04 AM
From what I read the team have to report on the Funding Review Consultation in November ....then the chancellor will announce the package for the 30 hours in his Comprehensive Spending Review later that month....let's all hold our breath!

In the interview Gyimah appears rattled that the Lords have dared to put barriers in this scheme...and cannot comprehend why other parties are not backing the 30 hours?.....could it be because it is a very unfair scheme?
I am angry at what the Lords allowed to pass...including the possibility of criminal charges...that was not amended.

or is it because we don't trust the govt to come up with a sensible 'funding' rate as Cameron promised?...just like he promised not to cut tax credits!!

Every time Gyimah speaks he gives different figures on how many have come forward to do the trials.....how many parents DfE consulted by Facebook of all things why FB?

He is even getting cross because some think DfE has not been transparent...dear me!

This scheme is a big DEAL...wish more would be a little bit more vocal and not wait to sit around the table and debate with the DfE...time is running out!

mama2three
20-10-2015, 12:02 PM
While I was there I met with the OECD's Andreas Schleicher, who is an expert on early years education, to discuss findings from around the world on driving up standards and ensuring quality outcomes.
Omg , calling schleicher an early years expert is way off track. His background is finance and economics. He is certainly not an expert on early years any more than Elizabeth Truss was!!!

Kiddleywinks
21-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Every time Gyimah speaks he gives different figures on how many have come forward to do the trials.....how many parents DfE consulted by Facebook of all things why FB?

I would imagine because there is a larger audience of parents on Facebook - personally speaking, I know of far more parents on facebook than are on twitter

Simona
21-10-2015, 08:48 AM
I would imagine because there is a larger audience of parents on Facebook - personally speaking, I know of far more parents on facebook than are on twitter

I am afraid that Twitter did not even cross my mind and has not anything to do with this at all....or maybe there is a reason why the DfE did it that way?

I find the reference to Twitter rather puzzling ...or is it because I have clearly specified I am not on Facebook but use Twitter? I was not trying to score a point....but found your reply a bit personal.

The point was not which medium was used by the DfE but the amount of parents who participated and outnumbered those who replied to the actual consultation...20,000 parents against 2,000 providers!

Maybe those parents on FB should take time off their Smartphones and attend 'real sessions' were they can talk face-to-face with providers and truly understand what 'free' childcare is all about...what it means to them financially...what it means to providers and ...more importantly...what it means to their children.

Real discussions about this topic are taking place and given the importance they require....we should do so too and encourage the DfE to sit down with our representing associations as promised for the review.

Simona
21-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Sorry I hit the send button before I could explain my question further.

Parents had 3 opportunities to be consulted
1. the funding review itself which is open and public and a huge number of parents participated in
2. The DfE FB page which I understand was just for parents
3. a personal survey just for parents

while Gyimah has said clearly providers were unable to give an exact figure for the funding and DfE cannot work this out...he stated clearly that parents knew exactly what they wanted

Having a consultation in a medium that is 'closed' does not sound very fair to me...maybe I don't understand the workings of FB but that was my reason for saying 'why FB?'

Maybe the DfE should have had a FB page solely for providers?

loocyloo
21-10-2015, 11:43 AM
The reason they don't want to talk to providers and claim not to be able to understand what we have said about funding, is that it doesn't match what they want it to!

I've been talking to lots of parents lately about funding and none knew that providers frequently subsidise the funding.

Simona
21-10-2015, 02:42 PM
The reason they don't want to talk to providers and claim not to be able to understand what we have said about funding, is that it doesn't match what they want it to!

I've been talking to lots of parents lately about funding and none knew that providers frequently subsidise the funding.

Many share your doubts that they are not understanding our figures on purpose...can Deloitte be so incompetent?

The DfE is running events for providers at this very minute via 4Children...if you missed the link I posted here it is...PLA were referring to this yesterday

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2015/10/The-30-hours-childcare-entitlement.pdf

I feel, like many others and from what I am reading, that our associations should now be sitting at the table with the DfE...so far that call has not come.

I personally think parents cannot be so unaware of how the free entitlement works...it has been on every media source possible
maybe it is the providers' fault for not explaining clearly what the 15 hours entails especially when parents find they have to buy a 'package' rather than just the 15 hours?...mmmm!!

Kiddleywinks
23-10-2015, 08:49 PM
I am afraid that Twitter did not even cross my mind and has not anything to do with this at all....or maybe there is a reason why the DfE did it that way? I find the reference to Twitter rather puzzling ...or is it because I have clearly specified I am not on Facebook but use Twitter? I was not trying to score a point....but found your reply a bit personal. The point was not which medium was used by the DfE but the amount of parents who participated and outnumbered those who replied to the actual consultation...20,000 parents against 2,000 providers! Maybe those parents on FB should take time off their Smartphones and attend 'real sessions' were they can talk face-to-face with providers and truly understand what 'free' childcare is all about...what it means to them financially...what it means to providers and ...more importantly...what it means to their children. Real discussions about this topic are taking place and given the importance they require....we should do so too and encourage the DfE to sit down with our representing associations as promised for the review.

I didn't think for one minute that you were trying to score points....??
That comment has completely thrown me!

I understood you to be questioning why the DofE targeted parents on fb, I highlighted that point in my post and gave a suggestion.
I referenced Twitter as it is the only other social site I could think of, and yes, I know you prefer that medium, but I was most certainly not being personal about it....to the point where I don't actually understand what's personal about quoting different social media sites?!

Somethings definitely been lost in translation!

catswhiskers
24-10-2015, 11:35 PM
I'm not on Facebook or Twitter (wouldn't know where to start) and I know other people who don't use FB or Twitter.

All the parents want is their 30 hour 'free' childcare place. They don't understand the ins and outs of the funding like providers do.

A lot of nurseries are worried too.

I met somebody in the park the other day who mentioned a private pre-school which currently runs five 3 hour sessions and have done for years. I'm not of a fan of the pre-school as they excluded me from their toddler group some years ago (but that's another story). She said they're now going to have to think of the 30 hour places which obviously parents will want. So they will have to employ more staff, resources, pay more for venue charge, etc. to open for the rest of the day.

Simona
25-10-2015, 08:08 AM
I'm not on Facebook or Twitter (wouldn't know where to start) and I know other people who don't use FB or Twitter.

All the parents want is their 30 hour 'free' childcare place. They don't understand the ins and outs of the funding like providers do.

A lot of nurseries are worried too.

I met somebody in the park the other day who mentioned a private pre-school which currently runs five 3 hour sessions and have done for years. I'm not of a fan of the pre-school as they excluded me from their toddler group some years ago (but that's another story). She said they're now going to have to think of the 30 hour places which obviously parents will want. So they will have to employ more staff, resources, pay more for venue charge, etc. to open for the rest of the day.

You are right ...many are not on FB or Twitter although the DfE and other ministers do use both social media to get many messages across
Ofsted is another one who uses social media...Sean Harford has regular interesting discussions on twitter.

I was puzzled why the DfE would use FB only to consult with parents when the parents had already being given 2 chances of being consulted?
In terms of reaching a huge number of parents Twitter is just as well placed as FB....there is also Mumsnet for those inclined to use that medium!!

I am not sure how other members here feel about parents and their knowledge of how funding works
Sometimes I think we are very tolerant ?

I assume many parents will know a little ...but I am also sure many parents are well aware of what they can claim for 'free'...it is a duty of the LAs to make the info available and all Children Centres will have that adverts in place....FIS have to advertise that too and there is nothing better than them in providing info to parents.

I remember what Wilshaw told everyone in terms of making the free hours available to those who are out of reach...parents use social media a lot so how would they miss the info on free childcare...it is in the papers, on tv and discussed on the radio too.

When making enquiries Parents do ask if they can access free childcare...often it is the 1st question they ask
I do believe though that many Cms do not fully inform the parents of the actual ins and outs...especially the fact we do subsidise the hours in many LAs.
The vast majority of Cms have rejected doing the free entitlement.
I think we need to take a little of the blame for it too and tweak that contract fast!

Nurseries...full time ones are worried about expansion although there are grants available for that purpose...they are also being very pro active in approaching schools to deliver the extended hours

Preschools are worried about not being able to offer the 30 hours because of their restricted hours in rented accommodation and their worries made worse if the 30 hours is extended to beyond the current 38 weeks...and as you say staff, salaries and changes to employment laws
they will need support and I am sure they will work with cms.

CMs are very well placed to offer the 30 hours but many in this forum have already decided not to do so by closing the door before the DfE has even made an offer
Agency Cms will have no choice but to offer funding...so there will be a 2 tier of service...that will be unhelpful and ominous!...no need to spell that out

The current funding is inappropriate and CMs should get behind this ...get informed and make their voices heard, talk to their associations...be pro active in other words

As June O'Sullivan said on this issue organise, agitate, be a disruptive positive influence!

BallyH
25-10-2015, 10:23 PM
You are right ...many are not on FB or Twitter although the DfE and other ministers do use both social media to get many messages across
Ofsted is another one who uses social media...Sean Harford has regular interesting discussions on twitter.

I was puzzled why the DfE would use FB only to consult with parents when the parents had already being given 2 chances of being consulted?
In terms of reaching a huge number of parents Twitter is just as well placed as FB....there is also Mumsnet for those inclined to use that medium!!

I am not sure how other members here feel about parents and their knowledge of how funding works
Sometimes I think we are very tolerant ?

I assume many parents will know a little ...but I am also sure many parents are well aware of what they can claim for 'free'...it is a duty of the LAs to make the info available and all Children Centres will have that adverts in place....FIS have to advertise that too and there is nothing better than them in providing info to parents.

I remember what Wilshaw told everyone in terms of making the free hours available to those who are out of reach...parents use social media a lot so how would they miss the info on free childcare...it is in the papers, on tv and discussed on the radio too.

When making enquiries Parents do ask if they can access free childcare...often it is the 1st question they ask
I do believe though that many Cms do not fully inform the parents of the actual ins and outs...especially the fact we do subsidise the hours in many LAs.
The vast majority of Cms have rejected doing the free entitlement.
I think we need to take a little of the blame for it too and tweak that contract fast!

Nurseries...full time ones are worried about expansion although there are grants available for that purpose...they are also being very pro active in approaching schools to deliver the extended hours

Preschools are worried about not being able to offer the 30 hours because of their restricted hours in rented accommodation and their worries made worse if the 30 hours is extended to beyond the current 38 weeks...and as you say staff, salaries and changes to employment laws
they will need support and I am sure they will work with cms.

CMs are very well placed to offer the 30 hours but many in this forum have already decided not to do so by closing the door before the DfE has even made an offer
Agency Cms will have no choice but to offer funding...so there will be a 2 tier of service...that will be unhelpful and ominous!...no need to spell that out

The current funding is inappropriate and CMs should get behind this ...get informed and make their voices heard, talk to their associations...be pro active in other words

As June O'Sullivan said on this issue organise, agitate, be a disruptive positive influence!

You say Agency Cms will have no choice but to offer funding - it'll be interestng to see what their cm's hourly rates are going to be? Charging and earning. Plus how long the agency cm's, on their books, will be prepared to work for at those low hourly rates.

Simona
26-10-2015, 10:41 AM
You say Agency Cms will have no choice but to offer funding - it'll be interestng to see what their cm's hourly rates are going to be? Charging and earning. Plus how long the agency cm's, on their books, will be prepared to work for at those low hourly rates.

No one can answer that because every agency will have its own model....agency cms continue to be self employed. I don't think any agency has come out wanting cms to be employee...I have not come across that.

I can only talk from experience as I attended all the briefings with the potential agency and Sue Robb.

The agency in my area will draw the funding from the LA and pass it on to cms ...or cms can claim themselves....that is what they told us.
CMs are still self employed and charge what they want but pay the agency for the service...if this has changed I don't think the agency will divulge that information...their website is easily available for all to see but you can only get more info if you are a member.

An agency cm in my area will receive the same £3.60 for 3/4 year olds ...plus the EYPP where it applies...for 2 yo the rate is still £6.10....if not there will be appeals by local cms...I am sure of that.

When the govt comes out with a new funding rate I would guess it will apply to agency cms or Ofsted registered ones...not sure how it would be different? but all we can do is wait and see....not long now!

The message I am trying to pass on to cms is do not decide until you know what the new offer is...nurseries are saying the same: wait and see....they are not deciding anything until the offer is on the table!