PDA

View Full Version : Retainers and fee's charged during nursery sessions

emma_lubylu
19-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Hi,
I am due to go on maternity from December and have decided to review the way I charge, contracts etc for when I'm up and running again. I have been minding for two years (and have learned ALOT already from experiences!) but have swapped and changed the way I charge so many times, I feel I need to be more consistent and straight with my fee's.

I was wondering what people charge during school holidays for term-time only children (if anything). And do you charge for children when they are in nursery if you drop them and pick them up? If you do charge, what kind of reaction have you received from parents?

I have never charged while a child is in nursery (although I have only ever had one child who attends during my care) but have changed from charging a retainer to not charging.

Any view will be appreciated :)

Thanks!

chris goodyear
19-10-2015, 10:44 AM
For term time only children I don't charge as I also have holiday only children who can take their place but if they want some days ad hoc then obviously they get charged just for these. If I take and pick up a child from pre school/ nursery I used to charge (if just pick up then only charge from pick up time) but now we have the funding I don't think we can charge for the time they are in their funded session as then they won't be getting it free! I expect someone will say different but this is what I am happy doing.

AliceK
19-10-2015, 11:48 AM
For term time only children I don't charge as I also have holiday only children who can take their place but if they want some days ad hoc then obviously they get charged just for these. If I take and pick up a child from pre school/ nursery I used to charge (if just pick up then only charge from pick up time) but now we have the funding I don't think we can charge for the time they are in their funded session as then they won't be getting it free! I expect someone will say different but this is what I am happy doing.

Same here.
For TTO children I don't charge anything during school hols.
If I take and then collect a child from nursery I charge for the duration but if I only collect then I charge from the time I leave home to go to nursery.

xx

BallyH
19-10-2015, 11:59 AM
I also don't charge TTO school children in the hols, but if they did attend it would be the normal hourly rate. But it's happening less and less each holiday. TTO lo's paid half retainer. I don't have any preschool children during my working days so can't comment on charging. Mine lo's all attend the preschool the one day I don't work. I know other cm's who drop off and collect from preschool and charge normal hourly rate during those hours. Parents seemed to accept it as they can't hang aroung till 9.00 am waiting for the preschool to open. Cm's have said they can't get another child to fill the 3 hour slot so parents need to pay her.

k1rstie
20-10-2015, 05:42 AM
I don't charge in the holidays for TTO, they just pay normal is they have arranged to come in.
I don't charge whilst at preschool/nursery, I feel that free education should be free. Only charge until drop off, then pick up again.

I have in the past filled my missing 3 hours with funded children.

emma_lubylu
20-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Ok guys, thanks for the advice. Think I should stick with what I'm doing 😀
K1rstie, very true, some of my parents are relying on those free hour to take pressure off

vals
20-10-2015, 06:54 AM
I don't charge retainers etc,

I don't do nursery drop offs and picks ups - to me a nursery is in direct competition with me, i they want to use a nursery, use them for the whole day. I also don't like the disruption of pick ups to the other children whose parents are paying for a full days care. I do school runs and I think that's enough time used up.

mama2three
20-10-2015, 07:20 AM
I charge if they are at preschool or nursery,
They are perfectly capable of accessing free education - with me!!
If they choose to go elsewhere that's their choice but as I still cover the hours in holidays and other days when preschool isn't open etc I charge full fee.

I charge half fee retainer through the school holidays for ''tto'' children in early years but not for my schoolies.

Simona
20-10-2015, 07:54 AM
I charge if they are at preschool or nursery,
They are perfectly capable of accessing free education - with me!!
If they choose to go elsewhere that's their choice but as I still cover the hours in holidays and other days when preschool isn't open etc I charge full fee.

I charge half fee retainer through the school holidays for ''tto'' children in early years but not for my schoolies.

Totally agree...they could stay with you and you can do the early education!

I wonder if this will all change when the 30 hours is up and running...and assuming providers join the scheme?
if the govt gives in to parents...as they are asking ...and spread the funding over 48 weeks of the year....I can envisage the whole system changing?
If we can have children for 48 weeks will we take TTO with no income for over 13 weeks of the year?

It is so hard for cms to lose all that income during half term and school holidays...If they charge the parents will not be happy...if they don't the loss of income is a lot without having any sort of retainer until the children come back
When the children are on holidays we still have expenses to cover for being able to offer that service to them.

Just thinking aloud ...but many questions about the future !...could it be linked to Cms asking to open wraparound care in schools?....