PDA

View Full Version : Inspection outcomes of EY providers by staff qualifications

Simona
15-10-2015, 11:17 AM
These statistics...very short...cover the period up to March 2015 and published today
They only include nurseries and pre-schools...not CMs.
Dose anyone know why CMs were excluded from the statistics as I can't get an answer on this question?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inspection-outcomes-of-early-years-providers-by-staff-qualifications

BallyH
15-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Would it have anything to the with the heading 'providers of childcare on non-domestic premises' and we're classed as domestic?

Simona
15-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Would it have anything to the with the heading 'providers of childcare on non-domestic premises' and we're classed as domestic?

Not sure...maybe?....it has also to do with the CIF and inspectors taking account of qualifications at inspections.

All very well for nursery staff but not cms....the DfE refuses to make L3 compulsory....but I believe 65% of cms are qualified to that level or above ...so why exclude cms? ad why would Ofsted judge qualifications knowing full well cms are not included?
I cannot help but feel cms are being 'excluded' from too many issues...no mention of us for funding or even the latest news that nurseries will be judged on SEND.

Nurseries with majority of staff qualified to level 3 more likely to be rated 'outstanding' (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1571674/nurseries-staff-level-3-outstanding)

rickysmiths
16-10-2015, 09:26 PM
During my recent Inspection the Inspector when through my CDP file with a fine tooth comb. She wanted to know in detail what effect certain training courses I had done have had on my practice and the children. She went back to training I did long before my last inspection as well. She looked at all my certificates and said she was impress at the amount and varied Training I did. So impressed she commented in my report about the way 'the childminders parents had spoken so highly about their very experienced and qualified childminder'.

They are looking at all our CPD in depth and recording it.

The table above I think is confusing and a bit contradictory, but you know what they say about Statistics!

Simona
17-10-2015, 08:52 AM
During my recent Inspection the Inspector when through my CDP file with a fine tooth comb. She wanted to know in detail what effect certain training courses I had done have had on my practice and the children. She went back to training I did long before my last inspection as well. She looked at all my certificates and said she was impress at the amount and varied Training I did. So impressed she commented in my report about the way 'the childminders parents had spoken so highly about their very experienced and qualified childminder'.

They are looking at all our CPD in depth and recording it.

The table above I think is confusing and a bit contradictory, but you know what they say about Statistics!

Yes...I thought so as cms who are feeding back on their inspection do say they are asked about qualifications...see JCrackers who is even an NNEB!!

Indeed the CIF ...being common to all those inspected under its mantle..says qualifications need to be taken into account.
so why not include CMs in the statistics?...RS I was not questioning the quality of the statistics just CMs exclusion...just to be clear on that....despite Nutbrown's recommendations which the DfE has totally ignored... then along comes Ofsted who says qualifications matter?
who is in charge?

if qualifications are a huge factor in the CIF ...why are Cms excluded from entering that level playing field?

Pacey was speaking at a conference yesterday and stressed the importance of qualifications...not sure how they would justify the disparity of those they represent when it comes to qualifications....nurseries versus cms?
other associations are in the same boat but many agree we are discriminated against....why?

I have to admit that I know of many more CMs with a high level of qualifications...such as the old EYPS... than I have met in nurseries
when are we going to do something about this?...or shall cms always remain the Cinderellas of the sector, even others in the sector have started calling us that?
I find that unacceptable....or is there another agenda behind this? you work it out

catswhiskers
17-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Oh dear, I await my next inspection with a bit of worry and then I just want it over and done with. I got an outstanding at my last inspection 4 years ago.

I have no formal qualifications, other than school O levels and going on lots of local authority courses. I've not got round to doing an NVQ and until it becomes compulsory for childminders to have it, then I might make time, even though my local authority have just stopped funding for it.

Simona
18-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Catwhiskers.....I hope this will not worry you...if you got O in the past ...no reason why you should not get it again...good luck with your inspection when it comes!

it seems to me this issue has been seen in a light that suits some ...not others and as usual very puzzling

More high-qualified staff in the best settings | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1154261/more-high-qualified-staff-in-the-best-settings?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

JCrakers
19-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Oh dear, I await my next inspection with a bit of worry and then I just want it over and done with. I got an outstanding at my last inspection 4 years ago.

I have no formal qualifications, other than school O levels and going on lots of local authority courses. I've not got round to doing an NVQ and until it becomes compulsory for childminders to have it, then I might make time, even though my local authority have just stopped funding for it.

Don't worry. The inspector will probably ask you what you are doing to further your qualifications. If you can reassure her that you are looking at personal development and how it will benefit the setting you will be fine. You might not even have time at the moment to study but if you show that you are thinking about it sometime in the future then that's what she/he will be interested in hearing.

I don't have any intentions to do my next level yet as I have two teenagers (1 started college, another highly emotional and it's really stressful) I was truthful with the inspector and said I will look at it in the future but not something I can accommodate a the moment due to family. She was happy that at least I was thinking about it. :thumbsup: