PDA

View Full Version : Childminding for irregular days

spflynn
15-10-2015, 09:22 AM
I joined this forum not realising that its for childminders rather than parents but I thought I'd try post this question anyways!

I am moving over to Sutton, London from Ireland. I have a six month old and a 3 year old that I will need to get minded from 9am to 5pm.

I have two questions, what is the average rate per hour and is there generally a concession for the second child?

My mother-in-law will be coming over to mind them for the first 10 days of every month. Would it be difficult to find a childminder for such an ad-hoc arrangement or would the childminder
need you to have more full time requirements?

BallyH
15-10-2015, 12:45 PM
You could get 20 responses for your questions and each one will be different. All cm's are unique and run their businness how they want too. Why not phone Sutton LA and ask them to point you in the right direction for the cm's that will be local to you. Ring a couple and ask. You might be what a cm is looking for or not. Best of luck in your search.

Mouse
15-10-2015, 12:46 PM
It's really hard to answer your questions as all childminders work differently.

Some childminders do offer a reduction for 2 children, although not all do. Some need to fill their spaces at all times, so couldn't offer a contract where the children were away so much, but others might be happy to do that. It's down to the individual childminder.

If you haven't already done so, I would register with www.childcare.co.uk. You could add a profile explaining what childcare you will need and asking your questions. Childminders would then be able to contact you and let you know what they can offer. Register for the area you are going to move to so you will reach the childminders local to that area.

JCrakers
15-10-2015, 01:01 PM
I agree.
It all depends on the individual childminder as everyone works differently. As childminders only have 3 spaces for under school age children then you may find it difficult to get someone who can provide what you need. But you may find someone who could offer you an ad-hoc place. Contact the local council for a list and ring round a few. :D

There might have to be an agreement for you to pay so much a month and a discount might not be available if you are wanting Ad-hoc but each childminder is different and there is someone out there for everyone :thumbsup: Hopefully

Simona
15-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I joined this forum not realising that its for childminders rather than parents but I thought I'd try post this question anyways!

I am moving over to Sutton, London from Ireland. I have a six month old and a 3 year old that I will need to get minded from 9am to 5pm.

I have two questions, what is the average rate per hour and is there generally a concession for the second child?

My mother-in-law will be coming over to mind them for the first 10 days of every month. Would it be difficult to find a childminder for such an ad-hoc arrangement or would the childminder
need you to have more full time requirements?

I think you will find a cm able to offer this contract for you...many do it for airline staff so not difficult it just needs organisation.

If your mother looks after the children for 'the first 10 days in each month' the rest of the 20 days would be contracted so I can't see a problem with that....or at least I would not have had a problem accommodating that.
CMs are very flexible when they can accommodate all needs...theirs and the parents!

Discount is very individual for each cm when it comes to 2 children...don't forget you may be entitled to funding and childcare vouchers and tax credits too...all helps towards your costs.

Good luck...I am sure you will find childcare regulations different from Ireland!