PDA

View Full Version : New childminder packs - Morton Michel and Pacey

White Rose
13-10-2015, 02:06 PM
I don't even have a date for my registration Ofsted assessment yet, but am already getting myself into a real muddle about insurance - I'm swaying towards Morton Michel's Easy Mind package, but most childminders I know all seem to use PACEY so I'm wondering what I'm missing through inexperience! Please could established childminders give me their opinions as to whether the PACEY fee of £91 for membership and insurance, then buying forms as I need them, is better value than the Morton Michel Easy Mind Package at around £130 for insurance and all the forms listed below?
- Child Record Forms
- Financial Records
- Accident/Incident Records
- Payment Receipts
- Medication/Treatment Records
- Contact Sheet
- Observation/Cause for Concern Records
- Monthly Planner
- Policies and Procedures
- Weekly Attendance Records

Apologies, as I'm sure this has been done to death and put to bed years ago :blush:

Simona
13-10-2015, 02:37 PM
I don't even have a date for my registration Ofsted assessment yet, but am already getting myself into a real muddle about insurance - I'm swaying towards Morton Michel's Easy Mind package, but most childminders I know all seem to use PACEY so I'm wondering what I'm missing through inexperience! Please could established childminders give me their opinions as to whether the PACEY fee of £91 for membership and insurance, then buying forms as I need them, is better value than the Morton Michel Easy Mind Package at around £130 for insurance and all the forms listed below?
- Child Record Forms
- Financial Records
- Accident/Incident Records
- Payment Receipts
- Medication/Treatment Records
- Contact Sheet
- Observation/Cause for Concern Records
- Monthly Planner
- Policies and Procedures
- Weekly Attendance Records

Apologies, as I'm sure this has been done to death and put to bed years ago :blush:

Pacey is a representing association so you pay for membership and PLI....then you can buy all the paperwork at a discount.
MM are not a representing association so they give you just PLI...they are more expensive in all areas

Have you checked what PreScool Learning Alliance (PLA) have as a package for Cms? Their PLI is provided by the same company who provides Pacey....PLA's package is cheaper and competitive and they represent cms as well now.

There is also the Independent CM Social Enterprise...they represent Cms only...google them or call for help.

You don't have to buy any of the documentation from anyone if you can devise your own...it is your choice.

Before anything make sure you claim you Start Up Grant for Cms from the DFE....worth £500....or £1000 if you intend to look after disabled children!

Good luck!

White Rose
14-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Pacey is a representing association so you pay for membership and PLI....then you can buy all the paperwork at a discount.
MM are not a representing association so they give you just PLI...they are more expensive in all areas

Have you checked what PreScool Learning Alliance (PLA) have as a package for Cms? Their PLI is provided by the same company who provides Pacey....PLA's package is cheaper and competitive and they represent cms as well now.

There is also the Independent CM Social Enterprise...they represent Cms only...google them or call for help.

You don't have to buy any of the documentation from anyone if you can devise your own...it is your choice.

Before anything make sure you claim you Start Up Grant for Cms from the DFE....worth £500....or £1000 if you intend to look after disabled children!

Good luck!

Thank you Simona - I'd not heard of the PLA or the Independent CM Social Enterprise, will do some googling this morning. I know I can come up with my own docs but I think this first year I'll be more comfortable with the safety blanket of having commercial ones (it's one less thing I don't have to worry about doing wrong ;-) ) And thanks for the grant info - they mentioned it on the course last month but I don't think I can get it until my DBS check is back.

Simona
14-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Thank you Simona - I'd not heard of the PLA or the Independent CM Social Enterprise, will do some googling this morning. I know I can come up with my own docs but I think this first year I'll be more comfortable with the safety blanket of having commercial ones (it's one less thing I don't have to worry about doing wrong ;-) ) And thanks for the grant info - they mentioned it on the course last month but I don't think I can get it until my DBS check is back.

Yes I know ...Pacey seems to be the only association mentioned....but there is choice out there!

The Business Grant can be applied for immediately...look at the bottom of this link....and remember by the time the grant comes through you will have all the checks in place.

Childcare Business Grants Scheme - Home page (http://www.childcarebusinessgrants.dcms.gov.uk/)

May I ask if you were informed of the grant when you did your initial briefing to become a CM?

Good luck!