PDA

View Full Version : Childcare qualification advice

mumofone
13-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Im after some help...I did the CYPOP 5 course in order to start childminding but can someone tell me if this is what's also know as the "level 2"?

I want to do the next course up from this but still can't find the info I need on how much it costs and where I can do it etc.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide as I still can't figure it out on my own!!!!

Simona
13-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Im after some help...I did the CYPOP 5 course in order to start childminding but can someone tell me if this is what's also know as the "level 2"?

I want to do the next course up from this but still can't find the info I need on how much it costs and where I can do it etc.

If you google EYE Level 3 you will find all the information as nothing has changed in recent times....that is the next step from Level 2
If you belong to an association such as Pacey or PLA check with them as you would get discount for the course....the cost can vary and can be up to £3000....best to research and see what suits you and your pocket best!
I would also contact your EY team for advice.
There is a thread on this here but not sure how long ago we were discussing this very subject.

mumofone
13-10-2015, 02:45 PM
If you google EYE Level 3 you will find all the information as nothing has changed in recent times....that is the next step from Level 2 If you belong to an association such as Pacey or PLA check with them as you would get discount for the course....the cost can vary and can be up to £3000....best to research and see what suits you and your pocket best! I would also contact your EY team for advice. There is a thread on this here but not sure how long ago we were discussing this very subject.

Loads of people do the course though, surely everyone's not paying £3000?? I'm not with Pacey or pla...

Simona
13-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Loads of people do the course though, surely everyone's not paying £3000?? I'm not with Pacey or pla...

The cost can vary according to who you do it with.
EY team may be able to signpost you or you can contact any company of your choice if you do not belong to an association.....you can still do with PLA j but you will not get a discount.
My local college charges around £3000...they are all different.

Forgot to say that it also depends on your age....for under 24 there are grants.....otherwise it is a loan repayable when you earn a certain amount...which I believe is £21,000 but check on that.
Good luck in your research!

bunyip
13-10-2015, 06:26 PM

I think you won't find "the next course up" because CYPOP5 isn't recognised as a full course in the sense that you can compare it to the next level.

IIUC, CYPOP5 is not a complete course accreditation. It is one 'unit' or 'module' taken from the larger Level 3 qualification, so not a full qualification to any level. If you wanted the full Level 3, you'd have to do a whole heap of additional modules. I believe Level 3 roughly equates to an A-Level qualification. As a rough comparison, if A-Level English literature required you to show an understanding of 6 novels, 3 plays and 3 poets, you just about read and demonstrated a good understanding of Romeo and Juliet but you don't get a recognised certificate to say so.

Ofsted/DofE/whoever consider that, plus paediatric first aid, plus safeguarding, to be sufficient training to introduce a newbie to CMing at entry level.

natlou82
13-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Hi mumofone I'm currently studying the EYE level 3 and Simona's spot on its about £3000 but I'm doing the 24+ advanced learning loan option and you don't pay back until your earnings are over £21k (can't see that happening anytime soon lol). I'm studying through @homechildcare and recommend them as I've had no problems and feel well supported. Whatever you do avoid Stonebridge at all costs as they gave me the runaround and I lost £100!

VeggieSausage
13-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Parenta have funding for level 3 and level 2 qualifications at the mo- phone them and find out what your qualification is and if they can fund.. the next step....I used them for my level 3 which was free with them (paid £60 to do it)

mumofone
16-10-2015, 05:43 PM
I think you won't find "the next course up" because CYPOP5 isn't recognised as a full course in the sense that you can compare it to the next level. IIUC, CYPOP5 is not a complete course accreditation. It is one 'unit' or 'module' taken from the larger Level 3 qualification, so not a full qualification to any level. If you wanted the full Level 3, you'd have to do a whole heap of additional modules. I believe Level 3 roughly equates to an A-Level qualification. As a rough comparison, if A-Level English literature required you to show an understanding of 6 novels, 3 plays and 3 poets, you just about read and demonstrated a good understanding of Romeo and Juliet but you don't get a recognised certificate to say so. Ofsted/DofE/whoever consider that, plus paediatric first aid, plus safeguarding, to be sufficient training to introduce a newbie to CMing at entry level.

Not sure I follow. So I've got my CYPOP 5 and an a level so am I eligible to do the level 3 course?

mumofone
16-10-2015, 05:44 PM
The cost can vary according to who you do it with. EY team may be able to signpost you or you can contact any company of your choice if you do not belong to an association.....you can still do with PLA j but you will not get a discount. My local college charges around £3000...they are all different. Forgot to say that it also depends on your age....for under 24 there are grants.....otherwise it is a loan repayable when you earn a certain amount...which I believe is £21,000 but check on that. Good luck in your research!

Do you know what the Loan repayment rate is Simona?

mumofone
16-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Parenta have funding for level 3 and level 2 qualifications at the mo- phone them and find out what your qualification is and if they can fund.. the next step....I used them for my level 3 which was free with them (paid £60 to do it)

That sounds very good, are you much you get than me maybe?

mumofone
16-10-2015, 05:46 PM
That sounds very good, are you much you get than me maybe?

Argh - much younger than me I meant!!

VeggieSausage
16-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Argh - much younger than me I meant!!

I am 44 - did my level 3 for free 3 years ago.....some training providers have government funding available, also try your local development officer and see if there is funding available in your area....my assistant has just signed up to do her level 2 with them and she is getting that free too, she is 38....

mumofone
16-10-2015, 05:53 PM
I am 44 - did my level 3 for free 3 years ago.....some training providers have government funding available, also try your local development officer and see if there is funding available in your area....my assistant has just signed up to do her level 2 with them and she is getting that free too, she is 38....

Thanks veggie I'll look into that further :-) Is the course difficult? How is it done? Is it modules/coursework/online etc?

Simona
16-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Do you know what the Loan repayment rate is Simona?

Google Cache...who is the awarding body and do some research.
Then contact any EYE training provider and they will give all the info you need....that is their duty to do.
Unless you are going to earn £21,000 you need not worry about paying the loan back....to do so your 'turnover' may have to be around £ 40,000 before expenses.....check that too.

My understanding is that the loan is repaid over a very long time and deducted from your earning....please get all the right info on that
As said before do check with your EY team....they do know where to signpost you.