PDA

View Full Version : pat testing

loocyloo
12-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Just had a rude man ring ( with held number ) and ask to speak to 'health and safety' (before i had even said anything other than hello!). I asked who he was and why was he phoning?
He said it was to do with pat testing.
I told him i didnt need pat testing and in a 'snearing' (silly little woman knows nothing ) tone he said "oh, so you don't use anything electrical then'
I said i did, it was my home and childminders don't need pat testing.

I asked again who he was and he put the phone down!

Please reassure me i don't need pat testing! But I'm cross he wouldn't give me his name/company.

I wonder how many unsuspecting people he has persuaded to buy something?

(And i only answered the phone cos dds best friend is a with held number and i was waiting for her mum to ring! )

Mouse
12-10-2015, 04:52 PM
You're right, we don't need PAT testing.

I've had the same phone call in the past and they can be very rude.

BallyH
12-10-2015, 04:53 PM
I've never heard of it. Hopefully he was trying it on. Very rude man.

sarah707
12-10-2015, 08:00 PM
No we don't! Sounds like you handled him well xx

tess1981
12-10-2015, 09:08 PM
I keep getting phone calls to say my computer is in danger from viruses... I told them I had no computer and they asked did I have a laptop I lied and said no. They asked did I have an ipad and I lied and said no ... He tried to argue I did so I firmly said I didn't have one and he hung up lol

hectors house
13-10-2015, 07:33 AM
I keep getting phone calls to say my computer is in danger from viruses... I told them I had no computer and they asked did I have a laptop I lied and said no. They asked did I have an ipad and I lied and said no ... He tried to argue I did so I firmly said I didn't have one and he hung up lol

I do this too, and then I say I don't have a TV or even a phone and then hang up! I know it's childish but it makes me giggle. :laughing:

hectors house
13-10-2015, 07:35 AM
On the facebook page people have been saying that it's a legal requirement that we have had our boilers serviced annually and also have gas safety check certificates - I don't do this but has anyone else been told that we do need to show this to Ofsted?

Simona
13-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Aren't these people called 'call callers'?
the call I receive the most is to tell me I have had a car accident...I just put the phone down!
it is well advised in the media to ignore them...not even answer any questions.

Not sure what is being recommended on FB as I don't use it but I would assume everyone has a boiler checked annually? or check any other appliances as necessary?
I would say that is keeping our settings safe.
Do we also not have our car serviced every year if we transport children?

BallyH
13-10-2015, 10:04 AM
On the facebook page people have been saying that it's a legal requirement that we have had our boilers serviced annually and also have gas safety check certificates - I don't do this but has anyone else been told that we do need to show this to Ofsted?

I do have mine checked annually but I thought I read a post on here, as I'm not on the fb page, that the person being inspected was asked to prove it. I remember thinking 'phew, got that one covered'.

Simona
13-10-2015, 10:23 AM
It is an EYFS requirement according to Health and Safety Legislation p27 section 3.54
Health & safety legislation | Workplace regulations | Healthy Working Lives (http://www.healthyworkinglives.com/advice/Legislation-and-policy/Workplace-Health-and-Safety/health-safety-legislation)

If someone on FB has declared it as a legal requirement maybe they would put a link for all to check?

Again in this case it is not what Ofsted need to see but how we follow the EYFS and evidence it in our portfolio under Safety.

hectors house
13-10-2015, 12:53 PM
I don't have my boiler serviced every year - my gas / plumber friend told me that my boiler was so reliable that it wasn't necessary, I just made sure I had 2 smoke alarms and 2 carbon monoxide alarms. I have just had a new boiler installed and again I won't be having it serviced every year. I have a property that I rent out and have a gas safety check done on it each year (which is a legal requirement) but don't have it serviced.

Also it's a legal requirement to have your car MOT'ed each year but having it serviced may make it more reliable but not necessarily safer.

FloraDora
13-10-2015, 01:44 PM
In Wales I believe, a gas service is a legal requirement for childminders.
I think a gas service is part and parcel to keeping your home in good order and catching issues before they get costly to repair is a great spin off. I have always had an annual gas service, even before I was a childminder for piece of mind, we once had a brand new expensive boiler fitted by the gas board and when they did their service about 4 months later they did a quick check on the boiler even though it was new and discovered a fault...a manufacturers fault...so I was very pleased that year.