PDA

View Full Version : Nice childhood learning quotes

mumofone
12-10-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm after a nice quote (famous or from someone known, respected!) about children and them learning or similar. Anyone have a good one? :-)

sing-low
12-10-2015, 07:25 PM
How about this: Creative people are curious, flexible, persistent and independent with a tremendous spirit of adventure & a love of play. Henri Matisse.

sing-low
12-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Also, 'Play is the highest form of research'. Albert Einstein

mumofone
12-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Also, 'Play is the highest form of research'. Albert Einstein

Oh I like this, thank you :-) :-) x

bunyip
13-10-2015, 06:38 PM
The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce) defines "childhood" as:-

The period of human life intermediate between the idiocy of infancy and the folly of youth: two removes from the sin of manhood and three from the remorse of age.

There's a Philip Larkin one about what your parents do to you, but I'm sure it would get me deleted. :rolleyes:

mumofone
13-10-2015, 06:54 PM
The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce) defines "childhood" as:- There's a Philip Larkin one about what your parents do to you, but I'm sure it would get me deleted. :rolleyes:

Lol Yeh not sure the Larkin one is quite the one I was after thanks bunyip! ;-)

bunyip
13-10-2015, 07:57 PM
This is probably a bit off the wall too, but I can't help thinking Ofsted and DofE would do well to hear and understand the lyrics to Wake Me Up (Avicii)

lisbet
13-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Just a few ;) - although I'm not sure that Ofsted would approve of any of them!

"In order to develop normally, a child requires progressively more complex joint activity with one or more adults who have an irrational emotional relationship with that child. Someone's got to be crazy about that kid. That's first, last and always." Urie Bronfenbrenner

"It’s a journey. No-one is ahead of you or behind you. You are not more “advanced” or less enlightened. You are exactly where you need to be. It’s not a contest. It’s LIFE. We are all teachers and we are all students." Reggio Children Inspired

"If children feel safe, they can take risks, ask questions, make mistakes, learn to trust, share their feelings and grow."
Alfie Kohn

"We can best help children learn, not by deciding what we think they should learn and thinking of ingenious ways to teach it to them, but by making the world, as far as we can, accessible to them, paying serious attention to what they do, answering their questions – if they have any – and helping them to explore the things they are most interested in."
John Holt

“Children when given support are capable problem solvers and solution finders…Conflict situations contain rich possibilities for learning, including respect and understanding difference. We need to come from the premise that children don’t ‘misbehave’ but make mistakes. If we see children’s explorations of the world as ‘mistakes’ not ‘wilful misbehaving’ then we can respond more constructively…to children’s social mistakes as opportunities for new learning not events that require punishment.” Betsy Evans

“All play is associated with intense thought activity and rapid intellectual growth. The highest form of research is essentially play.” N.V. Scarfe

“And at the end of the day your feet should be dirty, your hair messy and your eyes sparkling.” Shanti