PDA

View Full Version : Childrens after school clubs

mumofone
12-10-2015, 07:03 AM
For those of you who do multiple after schoolers do you stick to one school pick up only or would you ever pick up at school close time and then go back an hour later for those that attend clubs?

FussyElmo
12-10-2015, 07:14 AM
For those of you who do multiple after schoolers do you stick to one school pick up only or would you ever pick up at school close time and then go back an hour later for those that attend clubs?

No I don't do the club's it's too much to expect the other children. But I walk so that's a factor in my decision

chris goodyear
12-10-2015, 07:16 AM
I pickup 4 times a week for the after school activities an hour or so after the end of the school day as well as the normal finish time but------------------ only because my daughter works with me! One of us goes at 3 and the other at 4/4.30. I wouldn't entertain it if I still worked alone as it would mean taking all the other children back as well. I did do it in the past for one little girl once a week who went dancing but then I didn't have many other children so it was o.k.

BallyH
12-10-2015, 09:25 AM
No, once we are indoors we are indoors. I also have to factor in the walk home and it would mean either waiting in the playground for a mad half hour, for one child, or walking home then turning around again. One of my mindees goes to a club for half an hour on e a week. I refused straight away so mum gets a friend to drop her at my house after the club ends. I charge mum the normal fee as if I had picked her up from school.

AliceK
12-10-2015, 10:19 AM
No, I pick up at the usual school time and that's it. My own children have had to turn down after school clubs too because it's just not fair to make everyone walk to school and back at 3pm and then to school and back again at 4pm. Plus I need to get the minded children their tea done and eaten for 5pm finishes so no time. My own DS has just started secondary school and walks himself there and back so he is currently loving staying for some of the after school clubs as he could never do it at primary school.

xxx

mumofone
12-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Yeh my first thought was "no way" but my partner says its a really bad move the child who does attend the clubs. So now I'm not so sure...

FussyElmo
12-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Yeh my first thought was "no way" but my partner says its a really bad move the child who does attend the clubs. So now I'm not so sure...

Why does your partner think it's a bad move??

bunyip
12-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Like other PPs, I'll do it only as long as it does not mean dragging other mindees to and fro. IOW, if this is my only after-schooler that day or I have MrsB (assistant/superior being) available to stay with the others. I also make it clear that my flat rate, hours and time at which tea is served remain the same. So the mum won't get anything knocked off the fee; no extra hours; a 2nd sitting for tea if the child misses it; nor the option of collecting the child later than usual - that's that.

MoO, if you're undecided but toying with the idea, could you propose a 'trial period' where you could see if it works? You would have to agree the terms very carefully. You'd have to be clear whether you're committing to a certain number of weeks, or if you're reserving the right to stop it ata day's notice (which mum might not like if she has to pay/commit to a whole term's activities, frinstance.) And don't look out the window and decide to give it a go today just because the sun is shining; you have to think what the weather could be doing on another very different day in October and it will be doing it on you and any other mindees you'd have in tow. :p

If you are going to do it (or even trial it) then I'd say to do it on your terms. As it's 'above and beyond' the existing arrangement, there's no need to feel you have to compromise. Just make an offer that mum can take or leave. Don't get talked into anything you don't want to do, as it usually leads to regrets/resentment.

If you try it and it works out, that can enhance the business relationship and your reputation. But you shouldn't feel you need to submit to 'childminder doormat syndrome' if it's not for you.