PDA

View Full Version : Childrens map

mumofone
08-10-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm looking for a nice large children's map to put on my playroom wall....does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks :-)

FloraDora
08-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Map of the ?????

mumofone
08-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Lol of the world! Sorry should have said!!! :-) x

loocyloo
08-10-2015, 08:52 PM
I think I got mine from amazon!

mumofone
08-10-2015, 09:03 PM
I think I got mine from amazon!

What's it like loocyloo, are you able to links to it? :-)

loocyloo
09-10-2015, 06:15 AM
Sorry ... bought it years ago and don't currently have it up! It was just a large A1 map with all the countries etc in different colours.

FloraDora
09-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Have you thought about a jigsaw instead? The children would then be part of it going together - lots of chatter about countries, animals of that country ,famous buildings etc...- I have put sticky back plastic on the back of jigsaws before to make them a semi permanant picture.
Hang it where they can point and touch in their play = opportunity for learning.
I personally do not see the point of pictures up high, which is usually out of the Childrens eye line, it might make the room look good to an adult, but wallpaper to children, and no way for a child to interact with it.

BallyH
09-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Or whatabout getting a globe for the children to 'play' with. They could spin and point to countries. Compare distance between countries, even measure it with string then on a ruler. Compare different country shapes, the countries are sometimes coloured in. When doing phonics they could look for a country beginning with 'A' etc. Close their eyes, spin it then stop it with their fingers for little ones. Etc. My boys had one that lights up. It's in the attic. I might go rummaging and get it down. Thanks for reminding me.

Have a good day everyone. The sun is shining here.

Simona
09-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Or whatabout getting a globe for the children to 'play' with. They could spin and point to countries. Compare distance between countries, even measure it with string then on a ruler. Compare different country shapes, the countries are sometimes coloured in. When doing phonics they could look for a country beginning with 'A' etc. Close their eyes, spin it then stop it with their fingers for little ones. Etc. My boys had one that lights up. It's in the attic. I might go rummaging and get it down. Thanks for reminding me.

Have a good day everyone. The sun is shining here.

I think the globe was one of the most successful resources I ever bought.
It not only triggered conversation but the children used to extend it by recalling their holidays...where their families came from etc etc....a definite must if you can buy one.

Mumofone...if you have older children you can get them to make you a map of the world, that would be a very interesting project for them and then put it at eye level so they can all use it...I agree with Flora Dora that displays at high level are not that good ...they only help to strain your neck!!

mumofone
09-10-2015, 10:20 AM
I think the globe was one of the most successful resources I ever bought. It not only triggered conversation but the children used to extend it by recalling their holidays...where their families came from etc etc....a definite must if you can buy one. Mumofone...if you have older children you can get them to make you a map of the world, that would be a very interesting project for them and then put it at eye level so they can all use it...I agree with Flora Dora that displays at high level are not that good ...they only help to strain your neck!!

I have both an inflatable globe and smaller regular globe but looking for a large world map, that I can hang landscape on my wall :-)

mumofone
09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Or whatabout getting a globe for the children to 'play' with. They could spin and point to countries. Compare distance between countries, even measure it with string then on a ruler. Compare different country shapes, the countries are sometimes coloured in. When doing phonics they could look for a country beginning with 'A' etc. Close their eyes, spin it then stop it with their fingers for little ones. Etc. My boys had one that lights up. It's in the attic. I might go rummaging and get it down. Thanks for reminding me. Have a good day everyone. The sun is shining here.

I have these already, I'm after a map for my wall specifically :-) x

mumofone
09-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Have you thought about a jigsaw instead? The children would then be part of it going together - lots of chatter about countries, animals of that country ,famous buildings etc...- I have put sticky back plastic on the back of jigsaws before to make them a semi permanant picture. Hang it where they can point and touch in their play = opportunity for learning. I personally do not see the point of pictures up high, which is usually out of the Childrens eye line, it might make the room look good to an adult, but wallpaper to children, and no way for a child to interact with it.

Yep we have a world map puzzle already :-) im looking for a large map for my wall specifically. I get your point but I am not having bare walls in my playroom and need sonething to hang landscape as my portrait posters can be got my very adventurous climbing toddler so I do need something up high out of his reach. It's not about them interacting close up to it specifically as o have jigsaws and globes already. I can't dress my home for mindee ages especially unfortunately as I have a very bright adventurous toddler who keeps me on my toes with regards to keeping things safe and up high if they pose a danger to him or he can rip stuff so this is all very well thought through believe me! :-) x

BallyH
09-10-2015, 10:28 AM
My sister has a large map on her kitchen wall. Very effective as they've been stucking in little pins of their travels. She got it from Ikea but it was a couple of years back.

Simona
09-10-2015, 10:57 AM
I have both an inflatable globe and smaller regular globe but looking for a large world map, that I can hang landscape on my wall :-)

Try Hope Education...or Amazon maybe or Early Learning Centre...the latter used to give a discount to cms!!

Hope Education - Search Results for Map of the world (http://www.hope-education.co.uk/search/search?w=Map+of+the+world)

loocyloo
09-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Have you thought about a jigsaw instead? The children would then be part of it going together - lots of chatter about countries, animals of that country ,famous buildings etc...- I have put sticky back plastic on the back of jigsaws before to make them a semi permanant picture.
Hang it where they can point and touch in their play = opportunity for learning.
I personally do not see the point of pictures up high, which is usually out of the Childrens eye line, it might make the room look good to an adult, but wallpaper to children, and no way for a child to interact with it.

I have a smaller map that was actually a sheet of wrapping paper !!!! it is stuck to the back of the toilet door, down low and the rest of the back of the door has postcards people have sent us on it, we spend hours sitting at it and looking! ( and not just the little ones, my own children find it useful! )

BallyH
09-10-2015, 11:09 AM
I have a smaller map that was actually a sheet of wrapping paper !!!! it is stuck to the back of the toilet door, down low and the rest of the back of the door has postcards people have sent us on it, we spend hours sitting at it and looking! ( and not just the little ones, my own children find it useful! )

May I be cheeky and ask where you are sitting for hours when looking at it? ☺️ Only joking.

loocyloo
09-10-2015, 12:09 PM
May I be cheeky and ask where you are sitting for hours when looking at it? ☺️ Only joking.

Lol! Usually on the floor although it can also be seen whilst sitting elsewhere!

BallyH
09-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Lol! Usually on the floor although it can also be seen whilst sitting elsewhere!

It was the quote 'WE spend hours sitting and looking at it' that made me giggle. Was imagining a very soft padded seat. But anyway. Day off, am going out to lunch now for a catch up with an old freind and your comment has put me in a happy mood as it made me giggle. Cheers.

Dragonfly
09-10-2015, 02:49 PM
99p shop have nice big posters think that's where I got my map from

FloraDora
09-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Yep we have a world map puzzle already :-) im looking for a large map for my wall specifically. I get your point but I am not having bare walls in my playroom and need sonething to hang landscape as my portrait posters can be got my very adventurous climbing toddler so I do need something up high out of his reach. It's not about them interacting close up to it specifically as o have jigsaws and globes already. I can't dress my home for mindee ages especially unfortunately as I have a very bright adventurous toddler who keeps me on my toes with regards to keeping things safe and up high if they pose a danger to him or he can rip stuff so this is all very well thought through believe me! :-) x

If it is a high picture you are looking for why not think about a famous painting that you can see from a distance? Kandinsky Squares and concentric circles ..you can talk a lot about shape colour size, Rousseau - surprise - animals in a jungle to name two.
I only suggest this because I feel that the map, although it sounds educational will be so difficult to incorporate into your learning from a distance....and I don't expect you are about to invest in a laser pointer!
A lovely famous print will make your home look more like a home too.
As far as LO's ripping ....stop them, don't mask doing wrong things with the word 'adventurous' .... your eyes are always on him...say " no" when he is about to touch something he shouldn't ...he will soon learn what he can touch and can't. I have not and would not accept a toddler ripping things off my wall, I only ever put temporary things up , but the LO's learn not to touch..this is where it all starts.

mumofone
09-10-2015, 05:58 PM
If it is a high picture you are looking for why not think about a famous painting that you can see from a distance? Kandinsky Squares and concentric circles ..you can talk a lot about shape colour size, Rousseau - surprise - animals in a jungle to name two. I only suggest this because I feel that the map, although it sounds educational will be so difficult to incorporate into your learning from a distance....and I don't expect you are about to invest in a laser pointer! A lovely famous print will make your home look more like a home too. As far as LO's ripping ....stop them, don't mask doing wrong things with the word 'adventurous' .... your eyes are always on him...say " no" when he is about to touch something he shouldn't ...he will soon learn what he can touch and can't. I have not and would not accept a toddler ripping things off my wall, I only ever put temporary things up , but the LO's learn not to touch..this is where it all starts.

You're missing the point! I'm after a map! I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting a map for my wall!!! I don't like kandinskys squares, I've seen it everywhere for years and years. They have plenty of opportunities to learn I am simply after a nice colourful childrens map for my wall.

It's my son who is just 15 months old and is learning and learning right from wrong. There will be times when they do things before I am able to jump in and stop him. I believe your children are older now but I'll be extremely suprised if you don't have at least one book in your collection that your child didn't mark or write in as a child for instance. They usually do something at least once before they learn its a "no".

mumofone
09-10-2015, 06:01 PM
If it is a high picture you are looking for why not think about a famous painting that you can see from a distance? Kandinsky Squares and concentric circles ..you can talk a lot about shape colour size, Rousseau - surprise - animals in a jungle to name two. I only suggest this because I feel that the map, although it sounds educational will be so difficult to incorporate into your learning from a distance....and I don't expect you are about to invest in a laser pointer! A lovely famous print will make your home look more like a home too. As far as LO's ripping ....stop them, don't mask doing wrong things with the word 'adventurous' .... your eyes are always on him...say " no" when he is about to touch something he shouldn't ...he will soon learn what he can touch and can't. I have not and would not accept a toddler ripping things off my wall, I only ever put temporary things up , but the LO's learn not to touch..this is where it all starts.

Your things are only temporary because you cater for young mindees but this is my home where my young child lived day in day out! I can't "dress" it for mindees only. I believe you weren't minding when your children were small so you're probably coming at it from a different perspective.

mumofone
09-10-2015, 06:02 PM
99p shop have nice big posters think that's where I got my map from

Thanks dragonfly, I'll take a look in there. Great if I can grab one that cheap too! :-)

mumofone
09-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Try Hope Education...or Amazon maybe or Early Learning Centre...the latter used to give a discount to cms!! Hope Education - Search Results for Map of the world (http://www.hope-education.co.uk/search/search?w=Map+of+the+world)

These look lovely thanks Simona, they're a tad expensive but I'll take a closer look- thank you! :-) x

mama2three
09-10-2015, 06:07 PM
These ones come in a couple of different sizes..
Map of the World Vinyl Wall Stickers, Wall Art, Wall Decals, Wall Murals | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Map-of-the-World-Vinyl-Wall-Stickers-Wall-Art-Wall-Decals-Wall-Murals-/381362055766?var=&hash=item58caf32a56)

FloraDora
09-10-2015, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=mumofone;1409676]You're missing the point! I'm after a map! I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting a map for my wall!!! I don't like kandinskys squares, I've seen it everywhere for years and years. They have plenty of opportunities to learn I am simply after a nice colourful childrens map for my wall.

It's my son who is just 15 months old and is learning and learning right from wrong. There will be times when they do things before I am able to jump in and stop him. I believe your children are older now but I'll be extremely suprised if you don't have at least one book in your collection that your child didn't mark or write in as a child for instance. They usually do something at least once before they learn its a "no".[/QUOTE

Sorry if I have offended you.

In answer to your question : Books are treated as wonderful items in my home, I am a literature graduate and books line my walls in most rooms....not one, including all the children's books, have a written Mark in unless they were studied and have pencil notes in the margins. They are read and read , left on the sofa, returned to their boxes in the reading area, so well used, but not marked.
I currently have a 14month old in my care and I find he copies the others in his respect for things, I have 2&3 year olds that have been here from young too .....and have never attempted to write or scribble in books to read.

mumofone
09-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Flora, your children however good your parenting and how ever good they were - and I'm sure they were, will have done something wrong in their lives as small children at least once. I would be amazed if, forgetting the book example, you don't have at least one tale you regale to your friends of your children's misadventures.

mumofone
09-10-2015, 06:48 PM
These ones come in a couple of different sizes.. Map of the World Vinyl Wall Stickers, Wall Art, Wall Decals, Wall Murals | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Map-of-the-World-Vinyl-Wall-Stickers-Wall-Art-Wall-Decals-Wall-Murals-/381362055766?var=&hash=item58caf32a56)

Thank you, I'll take a proper look :-) x

sing-low
09-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Not really a children's map, but I like the Peter's projection as it gives a more accurate view of the relative size of countries. It is quite amazing when compared with the Mercator map that we all know.

Simona
10-10-2015, 09:11 AM
These look lovely thanks Simona, they're a tad expensive but I'll take a closer look- thank you! :-) x

They are a bit but will probably last as they are plastic so wipeable and hard wearing....maybe you could put them on a hook and take off when you are not supervising the room and do not have to worry

I do understand about little toddlers destroying things and they do tend to be very curious and adventurous...but you can get the message across to them that NO means exactly that

Good luck and hope you find the right map and have fun!

SYLVIA
11-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Thats given me an idea for next summer; get a map and let the children pinpoint heir holiday destinations ( my lot seem to be well travelled so it should look quite good) and then we can look at each country as they go. Just got to remember to get the map though

Simona
11-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Thats given me an idea for next summer; get a map and let the children pinpoint heir holiday destinations ( my lot seem to be well travelled so it should look quite good) and then we can look at each country as they go. Just got to remember to get the map though

....and you will have Understanding of the World well covered as well as PSED :thumbsup:

blue bear
11-10-2015, 09:20 PM
A good idea someone told me about was they painted the wall with blackboard paint (use masking tape to make a straight rectangle) then draw a map of the world with chalk or a chalk board pen (the sort pubs use for menus)

blue bear
11-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Good one here
Childrens Map of the WorldWall Maps - Large World Map Posters - Dino's Maps, Atlas & Travel Guides - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's (http://www.mapsonline.co.uk/publishers/dinos/childrens-map-of-the-world/p19837_pb2239.aspx)

mumofone
12-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Good one here Childrens Map of the WorldWall Maps - Large World Map Posters - Dino's Maps, Atlas & Travel Guides - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's - Dino's (http://www.mapsonline.co.uk/publishers/dinos/childrens-map-of-the-world/p19837_pb2239.aspx)

Thanks blue bear, Yep I love this one, I can't see on this link what size it is, can you? It's got to be a certain size in order to work for me :-) x

Simona
12-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Thanks blue bear, Yep I love this one, I can't see on this link what size it is, can you? It's got to be a certain size in order to work for me :-) x

If you click on specifications it will give you the size of the map!
Also same price as the one I googled for you...both very good quality though.