PDA

View Full Version : Jury Service

patconn2
06-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Help!

Just received notification of jury service in 4 weeks time :eek:
Brain has turned to mush!
There are no other registered childminders near enough to me that could take the children, I would also need to pay for care for my 2.
If anyone has done jury service could they let me know where to start please.

mjw
06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
You can appeal against it. I did this once and was called at a later date.
Mary

Pedagog
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Phone them explain you have childcare issues and that you are self employed, ask if you can be deferred for a later date.

EllieF
06-08-2008, 10:06 AM
I have known of other childminders appeal and been let off jury service so its worth a try. They went on the letting all the parents down, not being able to find personal childcare nor the families you care for, and the impact that it will have on everyone, not just yourself. Even a letter from a parent to this effect would help
Ellie

mum22
06-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I have skipped it twice, the first time i just didnt want to go i was still in Uni and the second time i had to cancel as it was my Grandmas' funeral.

sarah707
06-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I did 2 weeks of Jury Service in London many years ago. My employer appealed (she'd just had a baby and i was her member of staff). They made me do it - I didn't even go on a jury ... just sat there for 2 weeks reading a book :rolleyes:

Like the others say, appeal if you feel you cannot do it at the moment...

Ellie's reasons are what I would use:D

patconn2
06-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Think I will try to get out of it. I am just settling a new baby and will be starting to settle a new 2 year old at that time so the timing isn't great.
Do you just write to them explaining the situation?

elizabeth
06-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I was called a few years ago. So I thought it was my duty to go, arranged with all eight famillies whose children I care for that I needed time off. Then blow me the friday before I was due to go on the Monday they call to say we have changed the dates. I explained I couldn't that easily rearrange all eight families again and they just said thats fine and I heard no more, so give them a call explain your situation and hopefully they will not make you go.

Angela234
06-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm sure you'll get excussed i was called up years ago said i didn't have anyone to look after my children including son 3 years old who had diabeties they let me off. Hubby has been twice was called up again this month got out of it as he now works on a farm too busy time of year for him.

Angela

Alibali
06-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I got a letter 2 years ago and I wrote to them and explained that I looked after 3 los full time and for me to do jury service it would involve 4 sets of parents (me included) having to find alternative fulltime childcare at short notice and there was already a shortage of childcare in my area. I never had to go:)

LisaH
06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I did jury service before i registered as a childminder and found it a brilliant experience.

You should be able to get excused tho considering your predicament. They may ask you again in a few months instead tho.:)

miffy
06-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Think I will try to get out of it. I am just settling a new baby and will be starting to settle a new 2 year old at that time so the timing isn't great.
Do you just write to them explaining the situation?

I was excused jury service because I was a childminder - I phoned up and explained and it was as simple as that

Good luck

Miffy xx

Pedagog
07-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Have you phoned them? I'm sure they will be understanding.