PDA

View Full Version : Taking babies outside

mumofone
08-10-2015, 01:26 PM
What do ofsted want to see with regards to taking babies outside daily? In the garden for instance for say non walkers? I'm not saying they shouldn't ever crawl on the grass but at certain times of the year I don't think it's right for babies so young to just be outside like that, I think cuddled up and a walk in the pram for fresh air is much better?

Simona
08-10-2015, 01:42 PM
What do ofsted want to see with regards to taking babies outside daily? In the garden for instance for say non walkers? I'm not saying they shouldn't ever crawl on the grass but at certain times of the year I don't think it's right for babies so young to just be outside like that, I think cuddled up and a walk in the pram for fresh air is much better?

It is not really what Ofsted want to see but how we follow the EYFS page 29 and offer opportunities for outdoor activities.
We then evidence this to Ofsted
As an example a cm in a flat will not have a garden but will plan for walks, outings and playground visits
Just down the road from me is a day nursery on the first floor but no garden but they do have the green right opposite...I assume that is they way they will provide outdoor opportunities.

crumpet54
08-10-2015, 03:22 PM
It is not really what Ofsted want to see but how we follow the EYFS page 29 and offer opportunities for outdoor activities.
We then evidence this to Ofsted
As an example a cm in a flat will not have a garden but will plan for walks, outings and playground visits
Just down the road from me is a day nursery on the first floor but no garden but they do have the green right opposite...I assume that is they way they will provide outdoor opportunities.

I agree with Simona, it's not just for ofsted it's linking to the eyfs and it's also benefitial to the babies and us! It's not just about being outdoors it's everything that comes with it. For example I've just taken my daughter to the park, we've fed the ducks, waved to the boats on the canal, looked at the airplanes in the sky, crunched through the leaves on the ground etc etc. So much can be gained through everyday free activities.

What I'm trying to say is that you wouldn't just be outside letting a crawler crawl on the grass you can be outside doing lots of things.

sarah1975
13-10-2015, 06:03 PM

I see both sides of this. In the nursery I used to work in my manager said we should have the doors open every day and offer 'free-play'. Although I agree in principal, when you have non-mobile babies it is just ridiculous on a cold day. You wouldn't have your door open at home in winter with a baby would you? BUT yes they should get fresh air each day and if you have older children (so can't give the baby one to one support) then I personally think the best option on a cold or wet day is to wrap them up, put them in a buggy and do exactly what crumpet54 said - point out what is around them and make it is interactive as you can.

Mouse
13-10-2015, 07:55 PM
My garden gets very muddy and I don't always want babies crawling round in it. I have a travel cot that I use for outside. They can sit in it to play, stand up to look round, or I put the ball pit balls in it for them throw around. It gets them outside and in the fresh air, which is what I think is important.

mama2three
14-10-2015, 07:26 AM
my crawlers get decked out in puddle suits and overshoes and explore the outdoors just as much as my bigger ones. Of course theres a place for a walk in the forest all cosy in a buggy , but even then we build in lots of time to stop , get out and explore.