PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a puppy

cornetjo
07-10-2015, 08:24 AM
My two daughters have been asking for a puppy for ages, and I don’t want my work interfere too much with our lifestyle. I have always said no, but now that they are older we are thinking about it a bit more. We would like to get a miniature schnauzer as they don’t moult (I have asthma), and seem good with young children. My husband is worried about what would happen if the puppy nipped one of my mindees, and a complaint was made against me. Obviously I would have a risk assessment and policy in place before introducing a puppy to the setting. Has anyone else had an experience of this happening?

AliceK
07-10-2015, 08:49 AM
I have had 3 dogs since starting childminding, the first was quite old when I started but I have since introduced 2 puppies. The first one was crate trained and tbh that was a god send as it made things like mealtimes etc much easier, the second (my current dog) just wouldn't crate train and it was harder but not impossible. My dog stays in the kitchen / snug whilst I'm working as he is not yet 2 and still very excitable and bouncy so he would probably knock the LO's over if he was allowed to play. I have a stair gate on the kitchen door so he can come and see us and the children can see/stroke him. When we go in the kitchen he is very good and has recently learnt that sitting under the table pouncing on dropped food isn't acceptable so he lays down and waits until everyone gets down from the table before pouncing (or if I turn my back lol).
With puppies I made a point of letting the LO's play with him, pick him up (under supervision), play with his toys etc whilst he was still very young so that he became used to them and being handled etc by them. He is now a HUGE dog but very very gentle with the children. He is not toy or food possessive. I have a 10mth old LO who loves him and the dog will pass his toys over the gate for the children to play a gentle game of tug of war through the gate.
It is very very hard work having a puppy never mind with childminding as well but it's very much worth it. You are right to be concerned about the nipping as they do go through a nipping stage but with the right training it shouldn't last too long. Just make sure you draw up a thorough risk assessment and work out how you will keep the children and the puppy separated when you need to.
Good luck xx

Louise_Oaktree
09-10-2015, 12:32 PM
I breed (and show) cocker spaniels, I have 3 adults and a puppy right now and have always worried about how my hobby fits in with my childminding business but to be honest it works really well. I always inform prospective parents and go through the measures I take to protect children and they have been happy with this.

Obviously getting a puppy is a lot of work but being at home all day really helps. I have never had a parent refuse to come because of the dogs, although I do have a pet policy and this includes not letting the children have unsupervised access to the dogs at any time - this is important for safety. I have a utility room and the dogs have a separate area of the garden when they can go when it pleases them, as soon as the children leave the dogs are allowed in the living room/dining room areas. Having a puppy can be a great learning experience for children. You will need permission from parents to allow the children to touch the dog and also you will need to keep a record of worming and flea treatment. Also the dog bowls need to be out of reach of the children. My minded children are not allowed in my kitchen at any time - we use the dining room for baking activities etc.
You can use a puppy pen or baby gates to prevent access.

Hope this helps, oh and puppy classes are a must - you need to train the puppy to respect children and general obedience will help you on a day to day basis.