PDA

View Full Version : So Upset & vunrable as a cm, unsure of what steps I need to take

Miss freckles
06-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Looking for some advice if anyone has any please.

Had a lovely quiet afternoon once all the morning children were off, just me and the baby she went off to sleep so I thought I'd have a rest and a nosey on fb to be shocked that one of my mindees parents had been tagged in a post by someone and accused of a form of abuse to her child, I obviously won't put the details on here but a bit concerned I made sure I screen shot the post, wrote it all down and was going to approach to mum and speak about ot tomorrow. I was just about finished documenting when another post come up of a private message between the two that said "my childminder told me if he bites me to bite him back"

Now I've seen red, I obviously would never condone such behaviour and have never once even had a conversation with her at any point about biting. I contacted her straight away telling her to rectify the post and put it straight as we have mutual friends and other school mums on there that know I'm the childminder. Oli mentioned it was extremely bad for my business and could get me into a lot of trouble, basically she has tried to shift the blame to me.

She can't remove the post from her wall as it wasn't her post so it's still there she has however put a seperate post on claiming her cm has never condoned anything like it, but it doesn't quite cut it for me.

My husband is saying I need to terminate her contract as she has broken all trust and put my name and business in jeopardy, but they have been with me almost 2 yrs and only last week I employed an assistant to accommodate mums different childcare needs, she is also mutual friends on fb with some of my mindees parents.

What do I need to be doing now? Shall I contact ofsted to let them know? In the post the poster claims they have infowd social services and the school, should I be contacting help regarding the matter as well?

We are so vunrable in this job I'm so hurt, upset and angry I want to make sure I do everything right to cover and protect myself :(

rickysmiths
06-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Oh dear this is the very reason I am not friends with any of my parents on FB and I don't use my real name on there either.

I think you need to ring your PLI insurers first you need legal advise asap and don't contact the parent again until you have.

Personally I wouldn't have contacted her until I had done this.

I can't say what you should do. See what the legal team say as she hasn't made a direct complaint or allegation to you.

Simona
06-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Looking for some advice if anyone has any please.

Had a lovely quiet afternoon once all the morning children were off, just me and the baby she went off to sleep so I thought I'd have a rest and a nosey on fb to be shocked that one of my mindees parents had been tagged in a post by someone and accused of a form of abuse to her child, I obviously won't put the details on here but a bit concerned I made sure I screen shot the post, wrote it all down and was going to approach to mum and speak about ot tomorrow. I was just about finished documenting when another post come up of a private message between the two that said "my childminder told me if he bites me to bite him back"

Now I've seen red, I obviously would never condone such behaviour and have never once even had a conversation with her at any point about biting. I contacted her straight away telling her to rectify the post and put it straight as we have mutual friends and other school mums on there that know I'm the childminder. Oli mentioned it was extremely bad for my business and could get me into a lot of trouble, basically she has tried to shift the blame to me.

She can't remove the post from her wall as it wasn't her post so it's still there she has however put a seperate post on claiming her cm has never condoned anything like it, but it doesn't quite cut it for me.

My husband is saying I need to terminate her contract as she has broken all trust and put my name and business in jeopardy, but they have been with me almost 2 yrs and only last week I employed an assistant to accommodate mums different childcare needs, she is also mutual friends on fb with some of my mindees parents.

What do I need to be doing now? Shall I contact ofsted to let them know? In the post the poster claims they have infowd social services and the school, should I be contacting help regarding the matter as well?

We are so vunrable in this job I'm so hurt, upset and angry I want to make sure I do everything right to cover and protect myself :(

Speak to your PLI legal dept
You will also need to address the 'allegation' made on FB and the statement that they would contact Social Services
Your EY team will also listen to your concerns and direct you to the team that can support you....there are procedures to follow when an allegation is made and how to protect yourself
Follow the procedures in your Safeguarding policy of what you would do in such circumstances...your parents will be aware of what you will do if any make an allegation against you.

The NSPCC also offers 'confidential' advice and support.
This parent has breached your confidentiality get advice on how to deal with that.

Be very careful about using FB and keep parents separate from your business.

This is worrying but getting the right support is now very important...hopefully it will not lead to anything

Miss freckles
07-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Thank you both.

Everyone that needs to be informed has been informed and I've been told I've made all the correct steps which is a relief.

BallyH
07-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Good news. You are correct in saying we are all vunerable! This will be a little reminder to us all to be careful and always, one step ahead. It's hard to be 'friendly' with our parents yet maintain a professional side. Plus at times be their social worker also. So many hats to wear.

I also am not friends with any parents on fb and am on fb under my maiden name without a photo.

Simona
07-10-2015, 01:28 PM
You make a good point MOH about wearing many hats and keeping track on our relations/friendship with parents especially when some truly breach our confidentiality.

The area cms are 'most' vulnerable on is where we have an 'allegation' made against us....we have no one to share with at work as we are a one man band.
Any allegation could damage our jobs and businesses...even close us down if an investigation is required... and unlike nurseries we can't take the problem to the person in charge because we are in charge.
Any safeguarding course must cover that aspect of cm' vulnerability because it is unique to us....if our LA does not offer that press them to do so.

Miss Freckles...hope all ends well for you.