PDA

View Full Version : Next steps

mumofone
06-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Is it enough to do these termly? Do they have to cover each of the 7 area learning areas or can I just do particularly relevant ones? Thanks :-)

moggy
06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I am sure you 'do' next steps all the time, when a toddler uses their hands in the paint you give them some sponges or brushes to try. You have identified a next step and acted on it. We do it every day. I think you are asking when to write them down or when to share tham with parents??

I will note a next step (like the example above) on an obs if it is relevent and obvious. I do not check what Areas I have done obs/next steps for too often- generally once a term I look on Tapestry for an overview of Obs per Area.
I write longer term next steps in my termly review with parents- then I do them for each Area.

FloraDora
07-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Sound advice Moggy.
I do ' written down' next steps half termly as I think 6 weeks is long enough to achieve if you get the next steps correct. Usually about 3 areas at a time.
But ongoing, next steps are happening daily as I observe, interact and play with the LO's. I may approach something the following day if I have observed a needed next step, not written, just in my head and a mention to parent/ or in a diary.
Each child in reality has loads of 'next steps ' going on incidental ity too: understand the reason we say please, thank you, sorry in everyday interactions, being independent in feeding, dressing, choosing resources etc.. Counting, understanding one to one counting, colours, shapes, sorting, imaginative play, finer and gross motor skills....my next steps written down tend to be areas that I have to really think about and prepare for to enable this LO to make progress in an area, rather than day to day expected areas of achievement.
I tend to focus on characteristics of learning objectives than Learning outcomes...as I personally believe that these are foundations to learning.

Simona
08-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Sound advice Moggy.
I do ' written down' next steps half termly as I think 6 weeks is long enough to achieve if you get the next steps correct. Usually about 3 areas at a time.
But ongoing, next steps are happening daily as I observe, interact and play with the LO's. I may approach something the following day if I have observed a needed next step, not written, just in my head and a mention to parent/ or in a diary.
Each child in reality has loads of 'next steps ' going on incidental ity too: understand the reason we say please, thank you, sorry in everyday interactions, being independent in feeding, dressing, choosing resources etc.. Counting, understanding one to one counting, colours, shapes, sorting, imaginative play, finer and gross motor skills....my next steps written down tend to be areas that I have to really think about and prepare for to enable this LO to make progress in an area, rather than day to day expected areas of achievement.
I tend to focus on characteristics of learning objectives than Learning outcomes...as I personally believe that these are foundations to learning.

Flora Dora...may I ask how you concentrate on just 3 areas of learning at the time? and for which age?
just interested but no worry if you do not reply.

FloraDora
08-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Flora Dora...may I ask how you concentrate on just 3 areas of learning at the time? and for which age?
just interested but no worry if you do not reply.

My ongoing next steps cover all the areas as they arise....at the end of the half term I look at my assessments and progress made and prioritise the importance of the specific to ensure progress next steps needed to the children's learning, one is usually to do with characteristics of learning so it crosses all the areas and then the parents and I choose what we think is the most important area at the time, which next steps will be the foundation for other learning usually.
Sometimes it might be two from one area of learning, but over the term it will balance out to most areas and smaller little steps will be covered in the ongoing next steps.
I'm not a big fan of choosing a next steps for each area if one area needs some catch up....children develop their different skills at different times, so they could be way ahead in one area and lack skills in another.
I think the characteristics of learning have more weighting too as without these children struggle beyond a certain point.

Simona
08-10-2015, 01:12 PM
My ongoing next steps cover all the areas as they arise....at the end of the half term I look at my assessments and progress made and prioritise the importance of the specific to ensure progress next steps needed to the children's learning, one is usually to do with characteristics of learning so it crosses all the areas and then the parents and I choose what we think is the most important area at the time, which next steps will be the foundation for other learning usually.
Sometimes it might be two from one area of learning, but over the term it will balance out to most areas and smaller little steps will be covered in the ongoing next steps.
I'm not a big fan of choosing a next steps for each area if one area needs some catch up....children develop their different skills at different times, so they could be way ahead in one area and lack skills in another.
I think the characteristics of learning have more weighting too as without these children struggle beyond a certain point.

Thanks Flora Dora...just what I thought you would answer.