PDA

View Full Version : Tv time

mumofone
05-10-2015, 01:09 PM
How much (if any) tv time dyou allow your mindees each day? What's acceptable dyou think?

moggy
05-10-2015, 01:40 PM
EYFS-age, none at all here. Plenty better things to do and as they know it is not an option here the never ask for it.

I don't look after school-age so can't comment on that!

Lal
05-10-2015, 04:49 PM
None term time for EYFS or after schoolies. The only exception is if anyone is late. I put the TV on to cbeebies for my lg at 6pm, so if they are still here then they get to watch. I also put it on just before 11am on Armistice day last year.

In the holidays I might put a film on or a couple of episodes of something depending on what else we have been doing.

Simona
05-10-2015, 05:03 PM
I have never had parents veto the use of tv but plenty have asked what do I allow the children to watch....that is fair I think and I was always willing to show them what I had....often the children themselves brought videos especially during the holidays.

Using tv for specific aims such as rest time for those who do not sleep is acceptable.
Tv can be educational and let's be honest parents use it a lot...everything in moderation.

As for school children....towards the end of school term they will all come and tell us they watched videos at school due to no more lessons.
Discuss it with parents and hear their view...I did though say no to a parent who wanted her child to watch the 'something' garden...I too have limitations and found that rubbish.

Conkey
05-10-2015, 05:36 PM
The children I have (Both EYFS and schoolies) hardly ever ask for TV but I do make a point when parents visit to say that whilst we hardly ever have it on, it isn't banned as such. Every now and then, we will watch Something Special or similar all together which the children all enjoy and I find it stops it being the forbidden fruit that they otherwise ask for constantly as in most of their homes, the TV is on ALL THE TIME! x

loocyloo
05-10-2015, 07:16 PM
We don't generally watch tv but I might put a dvd on or we watch something in particular. Although we are more likely currently to watch something on YouTube.

We do put it on at 5 pm on a Thursday to watch Blue Peter ... But usually the LOs wander off and only schoolies watch.

FloraDora
05-10-2015, 07:36 PM
No tv here, but then we rarely watch TV anyway...we have an in built pre daytime TV issues - born in the 50's - never watch TV before 6 o'clock!!!!

I think though there is a place for an exerpt or specific for a purpose tv time.
I do know childminders who watch TV from 4.30 onwards, having tidied up...so watching TV before pickup....I personally couldn't do that, like others have said the LO's tend to watch lots at home, so no need and don't expect to here.
Too much more interesting things to do here.

BallyH
05-10-2015, 08:44 PM
During my last inspection, Feb '11, my inspector told me to put on the tv to distract the children so she could talk to me before she left!

tess1981
05-10-2015, 09:56 PM
We don't generally watch tv but I might put a dvd on or we watch something in particular. Although we are more likely currently to watch something on YouTube.

We do put it on at 5 pm on a Thursday to watch Blue Peter ... But usually the LOs wander off and only schoolies watch.

the los here love the nursery rhyme channels on youtube. Thank god I invested in a smart TV as it means they don't have to always listen to me try to sing when we learning them lol I am tone deaf :( we also do the actions the characters are doing so they are being physical as well

If weather is miserable I have tv on at home time otherwise I have them all at my heel when a parent knocks the door. I can do a hassle free handover then :) sometimes I have cooking programmes (such as Jamie Oliver or nigella lawson) on in the back ground in the hope the children spy someone cooking with different ingredients so when I try something new it's not met with disgust... has not worked yet :(

Simona
06-10-2015, 08:36 AM
During my last inspection, Feb '11, my inspector told me to put on the tv to distract the children so she could talk to me before she left!

MOH...You have just busted the myth that inspectors do not have common sense....along comes one with plenty of it!

Lots of the answers on watching TV seem to concentrate on just that....there are also videos and many of them if well chosen can be entertaining and educational which I have to say some of the CBBC programmes are not.
What about videos where children have to follow instructions and repeat movements or dance?

Apart from anything else watching TV can be used to observe children in memory recollection for names and people, sequencing events, learning words and songs .....tv is also not just cartoons

As said everything in moderation ...yes we are all different but EYFS does not ban TV and the use of it can easily be put in the daily planning
Hope it has helped Mumofone with her question?

Dragonfly
06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
What are nursery rhyme channels and how do I know if I have it!:blush:

BallyH
06-10-2015, 12:26 PM

I find mine on you tube videos. There are a lot to choose from. So you may want to test them on your own before having the lo's sitting in front of you all excited. Some play silly adverts before the nursery ryhme.

natlou82
06-10-2015, 05:39 PM
I agree with Simona about moderation. I use TV as an educational tool, or when children are tired and just want to relax (we watch together and talk about what is happening). With the after schoolers we have "film Friday" to wind down the week (some watch, some don't) or on other days it might be put on for calm before parents collect 5:30 ish. I really base it on the individual children and the day/week we are having. I don't believe in restricting anything completely and prefer a balanced approach.

tess1981
06-10-2015, 06:47 PM

I just search children's nursery rhymes and there are loads to choose from

Maza
06-10-2015, 08:19 PM
I think in your heart of hearts you would know if you were taking the micky and allowing them to watch too much tv. I think some tv is fine. I used to have a load of shows that I had recorded - Mr Tumble, Come Outside (the one with Pippin the dog), and another sweet one that I can't remember the name of. Between them they covered most 'topics' and I would pick one each/most days to watch. If we had been looking at mini beasts in the garden I would pick out a mini beast episode and so on. Actually we did watch some Thomas shows at one point and my DD still remembers her and her best friend/mindee singing along to the theme tune every day when they were about two years old. I can picture them both now snuggled up on a beanbag with a blanket each -it is a lovely memory. Sometimes mindees are with us for over 10 hours a day and there is nothing wrong with a little down time.

Dragonfly
07-10-2015, 12:17 PM
On your tv tess1981?

JCrakers
07-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I very occasionally have the TV on for 20mins over lunch or for a quiet time if babies are sleeping and I have a couple of boisterous mindees who don't need a sleep but need a rest.

Yesterday the Ofsted Inspector was here and we'd just finished our craft. My 3.5yr old mindee asked if we could have the TV on and so I agreed. It did give me time to clear up the craft table ready for lunch and she said a little bit of everything cant harm anyone.

:D

tess1981
07-10-2015, 04:29 PM
On your tv tess1981?

Yes. Had bought a smart TV at Christmas and discovered these channels soon after. The kids love it. Dancing around like eejits lol