PDA

View Full Version : Complementing learning in other setting

mumofone
05-10-2015, 12:21 PM
I am told what my mindee is learning/doing at pre school but feel this puts a huge pressure on me to compliment that learning with what I then do with them. Does anyone have an advice? I'm wondering if I'm overthinking this. Many thanks :-)

samb
05-10-2015, 07:43 PM
I do things like singing the songs from preschool in our song times or if they say they are doing autumn as a theme and I am too then I might plan an activity that they're not likely to be able to do within a setting like going shopping for a pumpkin and tie in maths and colours and the world etc and write that "as xxx is learning about autumn at preschool we went to the shops today ..."
Hope that helps?

BallyH
05-10-2015, 08:56 PM
I try to compliment. Recently preschool baked gingerbread men. So that week I took mine on a walk to the local bakers and they undividually bought a gingerbread man using real money. I make an effort to tick and put a date beside the preschool planning as evidence that I am complimenting it. (Someone on here mentioned ofsted what us to do this or something similiar).

bunyip
06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
There is another way..............

If you can't "compliment" then you can instead "contrast". :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Simona
06-10-2015, 09:01 AM
I am told what my mindee is learning/doing at pre school but feel this puts a huge pressure on me to compliment that learning with what I then do with them. Does anyone have an advice? I'm wondering if I'm overthinking this. Many thanks :-)

Not sure why it puts pressure on you? the child should be learning alongside the expected development...does the nursery ask you how your child is learning with you? do they tell you how they compliment that?

We can compliment that learning not by doing the same but by adding to it and extending that learning.
I think the right word now is having high 'expectations' of children...complimenting my restrict them?

mumofone
06-10-2015, 09:12 AM
There is another way.............. If you can't "compliment" then you can instead "contrast". :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Was that a serious comment bunyip? (I'm not sure haha!). This was actually my first thought that I shouldn't be repeating stuff they've just done at pre school and instead provide different experiences then they get the best of everything?

bunyip
06-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Was that a serious comment bunyip? (I'm not sure haha!). This was actually my first thought that I shouldn't be repeating stuff they've just done at pre school and instead provide different experiences then they get the best of everything?

Definitely serious. :thumbsup:

"Complimenting" learning can reinforce or extend what is learned.

But "contrasting" gives them something different. It might be related, but it might equally be totally different.

Frinstance, a child who does baking in the morning at preschool might want to bake more at mine in the afternoon (if I can find the kitchen beneath all the cider bottles*). Or they may like to go shopping for the ingredients to bake another day. Or look at books about how the crops are grown to make the flour.

Or they may be so stir-crazy from being stuck indoors all morning, they may well want to chase pigeons in the park instead.

[* I leave it to readers to judge how serious this bit is. :rolleyes:]

Simona
06-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Definitely serious. :thumbsup:

"Complimenting" learning can reinforce or extend what is learned.

But "contrasting" gives them something different. It might be related, but it might equally be totally different.

Frinstance, a child who does baking in the morning at preschool might want to bake more at mine in the afternoon (if I can find the kitchen beneath all the cider bottles*). Or they may like to go shopping for the ingredients to bake another day. Or look at books about how the crops are grown to make the flour.

Or they may be so stir-crazy from being stuck indoors all morning, they may well want to chase pigeons in the park instead.

[* I leave it to readers to judge how serious this bit is. :rolleyes:]

Quite serious and rather innovative Bunyip.
I particularly like the example of being within 4 walls or chasing pigeons...you nailed it.
I bet no nursery would want to contrast their method of teaching to cms'.

bunyip
06-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Quite serious and rather innovative Bunyip.
I particularly like the example of being within 4 walls or chasing pigeons...you nailed it.
I bet no nursery would want to contrast their method of teaching to cms'.

"Innovative" ?????

I just thought I was putting a name to something we all do. :huh:

Simona
06-10-2015, 11:15 AM
"Innovative" ?????

I just thought I was putting a name to something we all do. :huh:

Innovative in the sense that the word contrast I have not heard been mentioned before in relation to complimenting learning between 2 settings
I found it very useful and will use it in future.

bunyip
06-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Innovative in the sense that the word contrast I have not heard been mentioned before in relation to complimenting learning between 2 settings
I found it very useful and will use it in future.

Too late for me to copyright the term. Shucks. ;)