PDA

View Full Version : Grandparents leave

mumofone
04-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Has anyone heard about this new story?

Simona
04-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Yes it has just been announced by the Chancellor

Grandparents will be able to take paid shared parental leave to look after grandchildren, George Osborne announces | City A.M. (http://www.cityam.com/225740/grandparents-will-be-able-take-paid-shared-parental-leave-look-after-grandchildren-george)

bunyip
04-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Has anyone heard about this new story?

Hmmmmmmmm.................

I suspect Mrs Bunyip must know of it. She's a grandma and she's always telling me she's leaving. ;)

Simona
05-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Hmmmmmmmm.................

I suspect Mrs Bunyip must know of it. She's a grandma and she's always telling me she's leaving. ;)

Mrs Bunyip will be listening to the Chancellor today...I think she will find he is going to make her leave even more appealing ...maybe she will emigrate altogether? :rolleyes:

bunyip
05-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Mrs Bunyip will be listening to the Chancellor today...I think she will find he is going to make her leave even more appealing ...maybe she will emigrate altogether? :rolleyes:

She'd never get past quarantine. They're very careful about venomous creatures. ;)

mumofone
05-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I just ask because I wonder if, like the 30 hours proposal that it's another threat to our jobs as childminders?

Simona
05-10-2015, 12:32 PM
I just ask because I wonder if, like the 30 hours proposal that it's another threat to our jobs as childminders?

Yes and no Mumofone...grandparents cannot deliver the EYFS or do funding so their grandchildren would end up in a setting where they can access the 'free' childcare.

My take is that grandparents would fill the huge gap in lack of childcare places that are is short supply and ...the govt is appealing to older voters because many vote for them...it's all about politics.

bunyip
05-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I don't suppose it's worth asking what you do if you are a grandparent and a CM, already providing childcare for the grandchildren? :p

Probably the same as trying to claim 15 hours funded care for them, no doubt. :mad:

Simona
05-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Has anyone received an email from 4Children/Foundation Years about events around the 30 hours of childcare?

If not this is the message:

The 30 hours childcare entitlement – planning for success
Central London
Date: 19 Oct 2015 Time: 10.00am - 12.00pm
The Department for Education and 4Children are holding an early engagement event on the 30 hours childcare entitlement in Central London. The event is free to attend.

The event will help childcare providers network and get to grips with some of the challenges and solutions in delivering the new 30 hours funded entitlement. As well as a presentation from the DfE updating on the latest news of the 30 hours there will be two workshops. Key points from these table discussions will be shared before the event closes.

The event is designed to:

explore what the 30 hours childcare offer might mean for children
understand how providers see the child’s experience
explore some high level solutions of the 30 hours for providers
gather approaches to delivery

Who should attend:

school heads
nursery owners
nursery leaders
nursery finance or business managers
child minder agencies
registered child minders
LA early years leads
Early years sector organisations

Nothing wrong with the events but why just London?
It also feels like they want to convince us we should say yes without knowing what the funding will be?
'Planning for success' is the title or should it be: planning for more underfunding? :angry:

Mumofone....cms will be well placed to offer the 30 hours with a lot of 'juggling'
The ones in trouble are preschools who cannot extend their premises rental or extend the offer if it will be stretched to 48 weeks...they will need to link with cms and schools.

The govt is due to reply in November so we have time to keep informed and have an educated response by then...we live in hope!

Simona
05-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Apologies I have posted the 4 Children email here rather that the Funding thread so it will make no sense here...I'll copy it for those interested.

Mouse
05-10-2015, 05:47 PM
I don't suppose it's worth asking what you do if you are a grandparent and a CM, already providing childcare for the grandchildren? :p

Probably the same as trying to claim 15 hours funded care for them, no doubt. :mad:

I've been trying to figure it out!

My DIL will go back to work before she has to, so theoretically I could share her maternity leave. But then I'll be looking after the baby as his cm anyway.

bunyip
06-10-2015, 08:27 AM
The latest Tory announcement is that parents of children who miss school will have their child benefit suspended.

So I won't be surprised if their next move is to suspend old age pensions for grannies who refuse to attend EYFS training. :(

Simona
06-10-2015, 08:47 AM

Personally I believe the 2 are totally different

Excluding Cms' relatives from accessing funding is actually singling out cms and discrimination as the law does say children can be educated wherever parents choose.

Unfortunately that issue remains unresolved and cms discriminated against because no one has actually battled that with the DfE apart from a few empty and shallow words of disappointment...who is carrying the flag for cms and who keeps saying cms are 'vital' in delivering funding?...empty words and no one willing to challenge.

just imagine if the DfE said the same of nursery staff whose children attend the same nursery as a relative...I can imagine NDNA and PLA going out for a fight.

The 2nd is to do with grandparents taking leave to look after their grandchildren...if you...as a grandparent took time off your daughter/son would end up with the same problem as before? No?

I hope I got that right but I don't expect anyone to come out and fight this for CMs....again we are singled out and the govt looks at gaining votes!

I also heard that having benefits cuts is good for workers...less benefits means we work as hard and the Chinese....that is from the mouth of Jeremy Hunt himself!

I am worried we are being taken over by the Chinese and the DfE will have to rewrite British Values to go hand in hand with chines human rights!...and I blame Truss for visiting China last year and selling them cheese and starting a pork market!

bunyip
06-10-2015, 08:54 AM
I also heard that having benefits cuts is good for workers...less benefits means we work as hard and the Chinese....that is from the mouth of Jeremy Hunt himself!

A basic tenet of Late Capitalism:

People who have very little can only be made to work by threatening them with homelessness and starvation.

People who have a lot can only be made to "innovate", "invest" and "generate wealth" if you reduce their taxes.

Go figure.........................

Simona
06-10-2015, 09:05 AM
A basic tenet of Late Capitalism:

People who have very little can only be made to work by threatening them with homelessness and starvation.

People who have a lot can only be made to "innovate", "invest" and "generate wealth" if you reduce their taxes.

Go figure.........................

It has just been announced that parents who do not pay their fines for truancy will have their benefits cuts...dear oh dear this is getting beyond the joke.

rickysmiths
06-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Yes and no Mumofone...grandparents cannot deliver the EYFS or do funding so their grandchildren would end up in a setting where they can access the 'free' childcare.

My take is that grandparents would fill the huge gap in lack of childcare places that are is short supply and ...the govt is appealing to older voters because many vote for them...it's all about politics.

No this is not it at all. The money all comes out of the Maternity pot. A few years ago they said the father could take time off and the money would still be paid now they are adding grandparents to the mix. It would only be for however long Statutory Maternity leave is.

Simona
06-10-2015, 04:34 PM
No this is not it at all. The money all comes out of the Maternity pot. A few years ago they said the father could take time off and the money would still be paid now they are adding grandparents to the mix. It would only be for however long Statutory Maternity leave is.

Ah yes...that explains why so many are complaining due to the fact the paternal leave has not been that successful so now they have thrown grandparents in the pot too.
It has to be a vote winner too...can't believe the govt is so generous....and addressing lack of childcare spaces.