PDA

View Full Version : How often do you send LJ's home

JCrakers
02-10-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm having my inspection next week and quickly sent some questionnaires out to parents. One Mum filled it out and popped it through my door.

One comment was she would like to see his folder sent home more. Although she's never mentioned it to me....So I looked through his folder, bearing in mind he only attends for 9hrs a week on 1 day a week.
Whenever I do a progress summary I send it home so...

I did a progress summary Feb 14, Sept 14, Then his 2yr check in Feb 15 and I'm in the middle of finishing another.

So 7 months between, then 5 months, and 7 months. (I do admit that I'm a couple of weeks behind, having finished 4 LJ's and now I'm on to his)

How often do you send them home? I was in a good mood until I read this.

moggy
02-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Mine are online so always viewable by parents. But, what this parent has given you is great feedback- you can now act on it and reflect and in time you can see if the changes to your practice have had resulted in better outcomes for the children and families. With an inspection looming this is good stuff. If parents all said everything was perfect in their questionnaires that is nice for one's ego but not much use for acting on and showing how you improve.

JCrakers
02-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Yes! I like your response. :D

I don't take well to criticism...lol

But I can see how that helps now.

lollipop kid
02-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Hi, there JC

I do mine on Tapestry, so my current period of observations runs 1/9/15 to 1/1/16. I do them 3 times a year in January, May and September. They roughly coincide with the school terms/holidays.

I hope that helps. Our LA used to suggest we aimed for every 12 weeks, but I found that a bit much. The 3 x times a year works for me, and the online system I use makes it really manageable, even if I sometimes have to do 4 or 5 at the same time! I book the parent meetings over a weekend, then bash the reports out so I've got a copy for me and one for the parents. I then get the parents to sign that they've seen and received a copy of the review, and get them to write some comments onto my version about their little one's progress. Then back into the file. (Parents love the printed copy. I must have killed a lot of trees by now! They also love it when I take them through the LJ on the Ipad - I think I got that idea from FloraDora - top woman!)

Show the inspector that you're working in partnership with other Childminders by asking this question on here. Reflective Practitioner, or what? :thumbsup:

Good luck,

LK

Mouse
02-10-2015, 04:43 PM
It's always a bit deflating when a parent gives you a negative comment, even if you have asked for ideas on what they would like to change.

See it as a positive and move on from it. Use it in your reflective planning to show what you now plan to change. They've actually done you a favour and saved you from having to think up something for yourself!

At the end of the day it's not a big criticism and you are already doing as much as is required by Ofsted, so they're not pointing out a big failing. If that's the only thing they could come up with then I'd say you're doing very well :thumbsup:

Maza
02-10-2015, 05:36 PM
She'd like to see his folder sent home more because the folders are so fantastic - she just loves reading all your observations and comments about her son because it helps her to know what to do with him and what his next steps are. She really values your input. She wasn't criticising the folders in any way - if she thought they were naff she wouldn't be bothered about having them sent home at all. So, well done you!

I think sometimes people think they have to put something, anything, when we ask them for ideas for improvements. I agree, see it as a positive way that you can show the inspector that you are working with parents. One of mine wrote that they would like to see more eggs on the menu (her son was a vegetarian) and again, that was an easy one to manage. Also, the mum is not asking for more work in the folders, so don't stress. I think the amount of times you send them home is fine, but you could probably take it up to termly now that she has said that. x

Ripeberry
02-10-2015, 05:48 PM
I used to send the LJ's home (A4 book), at Xmas, Easter and July.

FloraDora
02-10-2015, 06:33 PM
I shouldn't worry too much.....Have evidence of working with your parents as this comment may spark the Inspector to look at this area in more depth...but don't get wound up about it!!! ..perhaps some notes of comments between you and them?? A summary of how you work with parents on ensuring children's progress : notes in diaries, pick up drop off conversations ...your 3 times a year LJ summaries...do you set next steps together/ have a verbal conversation and parent agrees? Texts/ emails?? Comments verbal or written about diaries ....

Try and have at least one section of your weekend relaxing ...thinking of you.