PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Registration after giving up

keohane1
30-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Ime sure this question has been asked lots of times but I can't find anything.....

I gave up childminding 2.5 months ago but would like to keep my registration as I may do after school care in the future or who knows may even go back to childminding (very unlikely)!

How long can I keep my registration with no children on my books?

Pacey Insurance - I haven't cancelled this...should I be cancelling?

Also I am helping a childminding friend a couple of days a week as an after school assistant. I am assuming that because I am still registered this will cover me to be her assistant?

Thanks for your help x

BallyH
01-10-2015, 07:29 AM
As the other Cm's assistant, if you are to be left alone with the children, up to 2 hours a day, you should still have a current 1st aid certificate, done safeguarding and gotten her parents permission to be left with the children.

With regard to the other questions, I would phone Ofsted and ask them. (Information straight from the horse's mouth). I've found them very helpful on the phone in the past.

Simona
01-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Ime sure this question has been asked lots of times but I can't find anything.....

I gave up childminding 2.5 months ago but would like to keep my registration as I may do after school care in the future or who knows may even go back to childminding (very unlikely)!

How long can I keep my registration with no children on my books?

Pacey Insurance - I haven't cancelled this...should I be cancelling?

Also I am helping a childminding friend a couple of days a week as an after school assistant. I am assuming that because I am still registered this will cover me to be her assistant?

Thanks for your help x

Yes you can keep it for 2 years I believe...it is in one of the Ofsted guidance but cannot recall precisely which one.

You will need to keep up your membership with Pacey to keep your PLI valid even if you have no children on roll, pay your ICO and continue paying your NI and keep your Safeguarding and First Aid up to date....keep your business ticking over

You could be inspected with no children on roll but that is not a problem as you will get a judgement on your registration only...if you get the call explain to the designated inspector.

While you are still registered it means you still have your CRB/DBS and that allows you to work anywhere you like...in another settings if you wish or as an assistant....you can work elsewhere as 'free lance' so you pay your own tax and NI not those you work for....if so make sure you get invoices for the money they pay you

When you decide to deregister that is final and you can claim part of your m'sip back but not ICO...they do not refund

Keeping up your registration is a little expensive but ...personally...I feel it is worthwhile until you decide to give up altogether

You can return to childminding anytime you wish but if you have given up your registration it is along and expensive road to re registration.

Good luck!

Maza
01-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Thanks Simona, great advice. I'm in the same position and am definitely keeping it open. It's also like a security blanket until one gets settled in a new job/life style.

keohane1
01-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Yes you can keep it for 2 years I believe...it is in one of the Ofsted guidance but cannot recall precisely which one.

You will need to keep up your membership with Pacey to keep your PLI valid even if you have no children on roll, pay your ICO and continue paying your NI and keep your Safeguarding and First Aid up to date....keep your business ticking over

You could be inspected with no children on roll but that is not a problem as you will get a judgement on your registration only...if you get the call explain to the designated inspector.

While you are still registered it means you still have your CRB/DBS and that allows you to work anywhere you like...in another settings if you wish or as an assistant....you can work elsewhere as 'free lance' so you pay your own tax and NI not those you work for....if so make sure you get invoices for the money they pay you

When you decide to deregister that is final and you can claim part of your m'sip back but not ICO...they do not

Keeping up your registration is a little expensive but ...personally...I feel it is worthwhile until you decide to give up altogether

You can return to childminding anytime you wish but if you have given up your registration it is along and expensive road to re registration.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Simona, are you sure I have to keep my insurance with Pacey on the go as I won't be working from my house, although i want to keep paying my registration which is £35 I won't be having children in my home.
Thanks

Simona
01-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info Simona, are you sure I have to keep my insurance with Pacey on the go as I won't be working from my house, although i want to keep paying my registration which is £35 I won't be having children in my home.
Thanks

Yes...in order to keep your registration as a cm you need to also be insured ....that is PLI because should you be inspected without children on roll that is a must or you will get a 'not meeting' requirements at inspection.
When you decide to de register Pacey may pay a pro rata amount back to you but you need to check with them.
Good luck and hope everything works for you :thumbsup:

keohane1
01-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Yes...in order to keep your registration as a cm you need to also be insured ....that is PLI because should you be inspected without children on roll that is a must or you will get a 'not meeting' requirements at inspection.
When you decide to de register Pacey may pay a pro rata amount back to you but you need to check with them.
Good luck and hope everything works for you :thumbsup:

Thanks Simona x

Rubybubbles
01-10-2015, 06:31 PM
I'm currently working in a nursery and have kept my registration open, I was told by ofsted I just need to pay my yearly fee, insurance and have all valid certificates. With regards to hmrc- I am logged now employed with different pay roll number, they were really helpful on the phone

I'm not wanting to give up childminding but I moved and had no interest coming in and need the money!!

mummyMia
06-10-2015, 12:01 PM
I was told by my LA that you can keep your registration going without informing Ofsted until you get the call for your next inspection, however long that may be. At that point you would need to tell them you are not working. Depending on how long it has been since you last had children they would then either do a 'no children on roll inspection' or close you down.