PDA

View Full Version : Paint drying racks

BlondeMoment
30-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Aaagghhh!
Have no space in my kitchen for loads of drying paintings lol.
I looked on ebay for one of those pre school/nursery style drying racks and they're are averagely about £100!!!!!:eek:
Does anyone know where I can get one for about a fiver lol?
Or, well much cheaper than £100 anyway.

BallyH
30-09-2015, 11:04 AM
If I found one for a fiver, I'd buy it myself. Yes, it's a problem here also so I'll be reading all the suggestions that this thread produces, hopefully.

Tulip
30-09-2015, 11:07 AM
I use the little whirly gigs normally used for hanging wet socks on to hang childrens paintings on, you can get them for a pound or two x

NightOwl
30-09-2015, 11:15 AM
In nice weather I hang mine on the line. I also have hooks that go over the top of doors that hangers can hang from. I use the 'triangle ' shaped metal hangers and hang paintings on them.

Maza
30-09-2015, 11:41 AM
I just lie mine flat on the kitchen counters and then on the dining room table and big shelf if they are feeling very productive. I find if I hang them the paint/glue runs, ruining the pictures and potentially dripping onto my floor. They do take over don't they?!

smurfette
30-09-2015, 11:46 AM
I use the little whirly gigs normally used for hanging wet socks on to hang childrens paintings on, you can get them for a pound or two x

Me too !!!

Mouse
30-09-2015, 12:03 PM
I use cake cooling racks, similar to these

3 Stackable cake cooling rack - Wire frame: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stackable-cake-cooling-rack-frame/dp/B000NVTDJA)

They easily hold an A4 piece of paper on each shelf. I bought 2 sets from Sainsburys once when they were selling them off £3 a set. I can stack both lots together, so they only take up the space of one shelf but can hold 7 bits of artwork (one of the worktop and 6 on the shelves). And when we've finished, they fold flat to store :thumbsup:

EDIT: Here's my original post about it. Turns out they were only £2.70 each and worked so well I went back and bought another one!

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/130210-my-new-picture-drying-rack.html

loocyloo
30-09-2015, 12:17 PM
I use stackable cake cooling racks too.

Mine are from pampered chef but i got them from carboot for pennies!

I have, in the past, used the inside of the oven (turned off!) But sometimes still warm to dry very wet paintings! I have an aga now, so dry everything on the top.

blue bear
30-09-2015, 01:09 PM
I have a string hung with pegs on in my cloak room for the paintings, parents unpeg and take home at collection.

Mouse
30-09-2015, 01:36 PM
I have a string hung with pegs on in my cloak room for the paintings, parents unpeg and take home at collection.

Don't you find they drip? Some of the pictures my little lot do are so full of paint, glue, glitter etc that they can only be dried flat.

Mouse
30-09-2015, 01:38 PM
I have, in the past, used the inside of the oven (turned off!) But sometimes still warm to dry very wet paintings! I have an aga now, so dry everything on the top.

If I have very wet or gluey pictures I slide them onto the top of the tumble drier and chuck a load of clothes in! I've always have a pile of clothes or towels waiting to be dried, so it kills 2 birds with one stone :thumbsup:

loocyloo
30-09-2015, 01:49 PM
sometimes I put them on the floor in the sun to dry ( during nap time! ) but last time I did that, the kittens walked through them, and I spent the rest of the afternoon removing glittery/painty pawprints from everywhere! :doh: children thought it was hilarious!

Mouse
30-09-2015, 02:13 PM
sometimes I put them on the floor in the sun to dry ( during nap time! ) but last time I did that, the kittens walked through them, and I spent the rest of the afternoon removing glittery/painty pawprints from everywhere! :doh: children thought it was hilarious!

:laughing::laughing:

Kerry30
30-09-2015, 04:01 PM

Me too! Not good for dripping pictures but hang them up once they've dried off abit.

blue bear
30-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Don't you find they drip? Some of the pictures my little lot do are so full of paint, glue, glitter etc that they can only be dried flat.

The really drippy ones go on the floor, I have a large cloakroom area

Mouse
30-09-2015, 05:46 PM
The really drippy ones go on the floor, I have a large cloakroom area

Ah, that makes sense! I imagined drippy pictures hanging up and all the glue and glitter slipping off!

Maza
30-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Ah, that makes sense! I imagined drippy pictures hanging up and all the glue and glitter slipping off!

I don't know about everyone else, but sometimes my little ones put SO MUCH paint on their paper that if I hung them up they would just tear in two!