PDA

View Full Version : Space requirements question

mumofone
29-09-2015, 08:45 PM
We've recently had some building work done and so I am having to re-do my calculations for the space requirements again. For my kitchen I just use one end of it which has a dining table and chairs/high chair etc for arts and crafts and of course meals. Can I use this area as part of my measurements in that I do use it for childminding but it's not "free floor space" as such because it has a table on it! Sorry for sounding so dumb!!!!! :-)

sing-low
30-09-2015, 06:52 AM
I'm pretty sure it's free floor space so no, you can't include the area where the table and chairs are.

loocyloo
30-09-2015, 08:05 AM
I have no idea how they do it now, but when i was first registered the inspector just measured the length and depth of my lounge diner and said i was fine. Ignoring the table and chairs and furniture. But maybe if the space had been tight she may have taken them into account.

Simona
30-09-2015, 08:51 AM
We've recently had some building work done and so I am having to re-do my calculations for the space requirements again. For my kitchen I just use one end of it which has a dining table and chairs/high chair etc for arts and crafts and of course meals. Can I use this area as part of my measurements in that I do use it for childminding but it's not "free floor space" as such because it has a table on it! Sorry for sounding so dumb!!!!! :-)

If your setting has been altered in any way you must inform Ofsted.
The space measurements and certain requirements for space have been amended although not reflected in EYFS at the moment

Best advice is to call Ofsted and seek their help or contact your EY team who will offer you advice

mumofone
30-09-2015, 09:16 AM
If your setting has been altered in any way you must inform Ofsted. The space measurements and certain requirements for space have been amended although not reflected in EYFS at the moment Best advice is to call Ofsted and seek their help or contact your EY team who will offer you advice

Thanks Simona, Yep they were informed of the changes :-)

Simona
30-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks Simona, Yep they were informed of the changes :-)

Oh Good...did they advise you on how to measure the space?
Hopefully it won't be too difficult.

mumofone
30-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Oh Good...did they advise you on how to measure the space? Hopefully it won't be too difficult.

Lol, no, hence the question! ;-) x

Simona
01-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Lol, no, hence the question! ;-) x

I hope you don't mind me asking why you need to re measure your floor space after your works as I can only think of 2 reasons you would need to?...it is unclear from your question.

Also look at EYFS p27 (3.57) then directly underneath as note 30....kitchens are not included but I think that is not in relation to CMs...we all use our kitchens