PDA

View Full Version : Characteristics of effective learning obvs

mumofone
27-09-2015, 06:25 AM
Do you do CofEL just as you would other normal observations? (Ie. Same frequency etc)? Thanks

moggy
27-09-2015, 08:11 AM
I make an obs and link it to an Area/Aspect/age (I use Tapestry so this is very easy) then if the obs also demonstrates a CoEL I link to that too (also easy on Tapestry).
You might choose to make an obs purely because it demonstrates a CoEL, that is fine. There are no rules on this- use CoEL in a way that help you understand how the child is learning.
Frequesncy is not something I worry about- these things happen in spurts sometimes and I just keep a general overview to see if I am observing all Area over a term or so and that I am making CoEL at moments through the term too (also all easy to see on Tapestry).
But that is my way, as always, many way of doing it.

sarah707
27-09-2015, 09:33 AM
The characteristics are about how a child is learning - not what they are learning.

I tend to note characteristics children are using as I see them and then think about how I can plan using the child's characteristics :D

mumofone
19-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Does anyone have a simple sheet where I can note if I've spotted my mindee using a CofEL?

Simona
19-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have a simple sheet where I can note if I've spotted my mindee using a CofEL?

If you look at Development Matters it will guide you.

CoEL is how children learn, their style, way of thinking and so much more....just as Sarah says is how they learn.
CoEL can also be captured well in photos
You could borrow the book by Linda Pound from a library 'How children learn'...simple but good for a start

There are lots of links for you to research if you google CoEL...this is just sample
http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/councilservices/children/early-learning-childcare/Documents/PDF%20Documents/Characteristics%20of%20Effective%20Learning%20Prom pt%20sheet.pdf

mumofone
19-10-2015, 07:07 PM
If you look at Development Matters it will guide you. CoEL is how children learn, their style, way of thinking and so much more....just as Sarah says is how they learn. CoEL can also be captured well in photos You could borrow the book by Linda Pound from a library 'How children learn'...simple but good for a start There are lots of links for you to research if you google CoEL...this is just sample http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/councilservices/children/early-learning-childcare/Documents/PDF%20Documents/Characteristics%20of%20Effective%20Learning%20Prom pt%20sheet.pdf

Sorry Simona I'm after a sheet to record them that's all not information on them

Simona
19-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Sorry Simona I'm after a sheet to record them that's all not information on them

Do you not record them in their LJ when you assess the learning via your observations?...not sure if you need a separate form?

Simona
20-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Do you not record them in their LJ when you assess the learning via your observations?...not sure if you need a separate form?

Sorry I should not have asked the questions as I know you would not respond ...but...the thread did trigger reflection
If you really need a 'form' to record CoEL I would suggest a call to your EY team...they are sure to have one although I have never come across that request for CoEL ....hope you are successful!

moggy
20-10-2015, 11:36 AM

I have not heard of a seperate sheet to record CoEL... it is easier to add them to your usual obs, so 'Freddie did xyz for the first time'- link to Area, note age/stage if relevent and add a note 'CoEL- PE' or whatever. Over time you can look back and see a pattern or see gaps where the children need to be supported to improve their learning skills etc.

mumofone
20-10-2015, 11:59 AM
I have not heard of a seperate sheet to record CoEL... it is easier to add them to your usual obs, so 'Freddie did xyz for the first time'- link to Area, note age/stage if relevent and add a note 'CoEL- PE' or whatever. Over time you can look back and see a pattern or see gaps where the children need to be supported to improve their learning skills etc.

Sorry yes it's just an observation sheet after but I have one type of observation sheet which is really simple and straightforward which I love using but it doesn't have a section on it linking the observation to CofEL. I suppose I could just add this if I wanted

mama2three
20-10-2015, 12:05 PM
I would use your existing ob sheet. Some of the things you observe will link to an area of learning , some will link to a style of learning or coel , sometimes both.

moggy
20-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Sorry yes it's just an observation sheet after but I have one type of observation sheet which is really simple and straightforward which I love using but it doesn't have a section on it linking the observation to CofEL. I suppose I could just add this if I wanted

If you have something that works then I'd just adapt it. No one needs more paperwork!

Kirstylob
20-10-2015, 12:52 PM
I use this observation sheet and highlight the areas and CoEl that I have seen during that observation. Hope that helps. X

crumpet54
20-10-2015, 07:43 PM
If you have something that works then I'd just adapt it. No one needs more paperwork!

Here here! Just add it on to your existing sheet!