PDA

View Full Version : Baffled by mindee - please help!

Fitrix
24-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Hello all, I’m looking for some advice / experience of a little mindee I am concerned about. I posted a while back about her not liking my co-minder although didn’t get much response. We eventually put it down to her being jealous because there was/is just no reasonable explanation for it.
The mindee in question is now 2.5 years old. Due to the fact she has hypermobility, she is not walking. She can bumshuffle, crawl and is just about able to pull herself up to stand. Her speech is also delayed – she has about 4 words she says clearly and another 10 which I know what she means.
She and I have a great relationship and she also adores my 10 year old daughter. However, her hatred of my co-minder is escalating. My co-minder has never done anything to warrant this and we really don’t know what the mindee’s problem is with her?? It has now got to the point that wherever my co-minder is in the room, this mindee will turn her head so that she is looking steadily in the opposite direction. If my co-minder sits near her she will turn her back as much as she is able and look the opposite way – even if she’s sat up at the table eating! If my co-minder tries to give her her drink or a snack she starts screaming in anger. Unless she’s in arms (mine or my daugher’s) she whimpers constantly. This sometimes escalates into screaming, but it is usually just really distressed sounding whimpering and sobbing. I say ‘sounding’ because she can switch it on and off at a moment’s notice.
When we are out at a park/playground, she is able to get around herself (bumshuffling and crawling) but point blank refuses to and sits and whimpers loudly unless I carry her. I can’t do this constantly as we have other children in our care negotiating playground equipment. This mindee increases her whimpering if there are other people around – to the point where I often get “well meaning” people (usually grandparents!) questioning my care. It is frankly embarrassing and frustrating as I know her behaviour is completely put on. She doesn’t make a sound if there is no one around.
I have to say, this mindee is incredibly controlling and she absolutely rules the roost at home – with Mum in particular. She gets furious if she doesn’t get her way and screams and shakes in rage. Mum by admission always gives in to her which really doesn’t help. She is good as gold with me though and as I said we have a really close relationship.
My/our issues are:
1. What can we do to improve the relationship she has with my co-minder? We’ve tried everything from my co-minder providing key care and not me, from my co-minder having nothing to do with her whatsoever and to me ignoring her in an attempt to get her to seek comfort from my co-minder. Nothing works and her distress/anger is getting worse!
2. Although she does suffer with hypermobility, she is the laziest child I’ve ever known. I have cared for children with this condition before and know that muscles can become easily over stretched and sore for them, but this mindee will quite happily sit on the floor for hours and hours and do nothing. She won’t pick up a toy, won’t move, won’t do anthing unless I engage her. She is perfectly able, but she just refuses to do anything. She expects to be stimulated by me or she just sits and whimpers. I’ve dealt with separating anxiety before (with her too) and I know that’s not the issue. I believe she wants to control me and have me jump to her tune which I cannot do all the time due to other kids in my care etc. And again, the distressed whimpering (unless I am doing something directly with her) is embarrassing! It sounds harsh, but she is making us look really bad when we are out at toddler groups etc.
3. I’m also a bit concerned Mum is overmedicating her. She tells me she wakes 6 times every night with wind, or a headache or a tummyache. I don’t see how she can know this as she can’t speak and I just don’t believe a child can be that ill every single night. She’s fine and happy all day in our setting (apart from the whimpering if needs aren’t met). So she gets calpol/nurofen every single day at home. She also gets movicol twice a day which I do not believe she needs. Because of her condition she has lots of physio and doctors appointments of course. I just have a feeling that Mum is a bit Munchausen by proxy but don’t think it is serious enough to warrant taking further and I don’t think Mum would listen if I approached her about it.
I’ve tried to paint a good picture to Mum because for the most part the little girl is very happy in our care, but this hatred of my co-minder and her increasing distress is getting worse and really needs resolving – somehow?!
Please help us!!

loocyloo
24-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Big hugs, this sounds like a very difficult situation. I would be talking to my local SENCO now,for advice/support and where to go next. Does the LO see a consultant/clinic etc for the hypermobilty? Is there some support available there?

I would be documenting every incident from child ignoring co-minder, to behaviour when out, behaviour when other people around etc (pretty much what you said in your posts before and just now)

I also think mum needs to know exactly what is going on!

The LO may be whimpering etc as she suffers from withdrawal symptons if constantly medicated at home, and not at yours. She may be the same at home, hence the medication. Sounds to me like mum needs some support too (but not from you, from a professional)

Mouse
24-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Does mum know about the problems you have with mindee?

What sort of contact do you have with the other professionals who deal with her? I used to have the physiotherapist come here to show me how to work with a child I looked after. Do you think you could arrange something like that? It would be good to have a physio see how she is when she's with you. They might give you some advice on getting her moving and it would give you chance to talk with them about your concerns.
I also used to have a nursery teacher come here to work with this particular child. I didn't really need it, but this was going back to the days when no one believed childminders might actually know something about child development! Maybe you could ask you LA if they have anyone who could visit. You can tell mum it's so you know you're doing the best for her daughter (which you would be), but it might also help you to talk about it with someone who can be there to observe her when she's with you.

As she has a combination of needs I don't think you're going to find a simple solution. Maybe working with other professionals is the way forward.

Fitrix
24-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Thanks lucyloo. I have to say I don't believe the whimpering to be withdrawal related as she can have days where she is completely happy all the time (so long as I or my daughter are 'entertaining' her.)
I am planning to put mum more in the picture but have found so far that anything negative I say is met with "oh probably teething" (she has been teething non stop since she started supposedly!!) or "constipation" (trust me the opposite is more likely!) or any other medical issue which seems highly dubious!
She has physio/health visitors and paediatricians aswell as SALT now so plenty of people working with her. A lot of appointments she attends don't go that well because she point blank refuses to cooperate! Very frustrating as she is the sweetest little thing when she wants to be!

Ripeberry
24-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Maybe the only way to deal with this is by making sure the co- minder only deals with this mindee. She won't be able to keep up the 'hatred' for long. Wear her out! As for the mum 'medicating' that's a bit strange to be doing it every night.

Fitrix
24-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Maybe the only way to deal with this is by making sure the co- minder only deals with this mindee. She won't be able to keep up the 'hatred' for long. Wear her out! As for the mum 'medicating' that's a bit strange to be doing it every night.

We have tried this. But you just can't have a child screaming and trying to get away from a minder in public so invariably she "wins" the battle by getting me!

I have been kept really well informed about her physio and it is mainly me that has got her as far as she is. For the first 9 months she was with me she just sat still and even the physio was getting frustrated with mum as she seemed almost reluctant to get her moving. I've worked her hard at her exercises and help her trying to walk lots. I don't think mum does at all as she has said as much in conversation.

Ripeberry
24-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Mum needs the help it seems, as much as the child. Hope you all find a solution soon.

Maza
24-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Gosh, there are a lot of complex issues going on here. Well done you for working so hard with this little girl. I don't know what to suggest - I think you ideally should be included in lots of her reviews (with the physio etc)but that would be very time consuming on your part and you might not be able to work it around your business. I think the 'professionals' will be used to working with children who don't co-operate, although it will still be difficult for them. I would like to think there is someone you can express your concerns to about the over medicating, are you able to talk to the health visitor?

Also wanted to add that I know exactly how you feel when 'well meaning' people start to seemingly question your care as it looks like you are ignoring a distressed child. I had a baby who would do this (no additional needs) and it used to really stress me out and make me paranoid, especially if I just happened to be tending to my own child at the time. x

blue bear
25-09-2015, 03:26 PM
I would keep a log of every time mum has told you she has given the child medication much the same way you would existing injuries, it might be part of a bigger picture.
Do you have permission to speak to the hv, physio or whoever? I would be mentioning about child's disturbed nights, mums reporting of child in pain and frequent need for medication, it might be a missing piece in the puzzle if they have similar suspicions to you.

There was a super nanny programme with a child who wouldn't let daddy have a look in, totally demanded all of mums attention. She made mum leave the little one with dad for short periods and lengthen the time . Your. lol sounds very much like this little girl, lots of moaning if not picked up/stimulated by mum.

I agree mum needs to be made aware of her child's behaviour so she can tell the paediatrician Incase it is part of a bigger picture.

AliceK
25-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Is mum medicating to try and get the child to sleep do you think?? Children with hypermobility are very poor sleepers. It's a very dangerous thing to be doing if she is.

xx

Fitrix
26-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Is mum medicating to try and get the child to sleep do you think?? Children with hypermobility are very poor sleepers. It's a very dangerous thing to be doing if she is.

xx

I don't believe so. She invariably drops her off saying she was up numerous times in the night with headache/tummyache/teething/wind and so she gave her calpol. But I only get told of the medication she was given that morning - I don't honestly know if she gets given it during the night but I would imagine she does.
I will now write down all instances of disturbed nights, any pain mentioned and medication given - that's a great idea to build up a picture.

She is only with me two days a week (frustrating in itself as its such a short time a lot of my 'work' with her is undone at home) and after a day with me, Mum invariably says she slept through. I believe she sleeps better because she is properly tired. I keep expecting mum to say she was awake with muscle pains as you would expect from a child with this condition but she never does! Its always headache/teething or wind - which I just don't ever see in the child. She never has any trouble letting wind out in my setting - believe me!!!

I have to say Mum has kept me very well informed of all her appointments - hospital paediatrician / physio etc. and I don't feel it is necessary for me to attend appointments as I have been shown the proper excercises to do with her (by mum). I just wish there was someone who could come and see her behaviour with regards to my co-minder. I think I will mention her behaviour more to mum and make sure she is aware of the situation and if nothing improves I may request her health visitor come visit and see if she can help?

Thanks all who replied - its a brain scratcher. But talking it through has helped sort my head a bit.

Simona
26-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't believe so. She invariably drops her off saying she was up numerous times in the night with headache/tummyache/teething/wind and so she gave her calpol. But I only get told of the medication she was given that morning - I don't honestly know if she gets given it during the night but I would imagine she does.
I will now write down all instances of disturbed nights, any pain mentioned and medication given - that's a great idea to build up a picture.

She is only with me two days a week (frustrating in itself as its such a short time a lot of my 'work' with her is undone at home) and after a day with me, Mum invariably says she slept through. I believe she sleeps better because she is properly tired. I keep expecting mum to say she was awake with muscle pains as you would expect from a child with this condition but she never does! Its always headache/teething or wind - which I just don't ever see in the child. She never has any trouble letting wind out in my setting - believe me!!!

I have to say Mum has kept me very well informed of all her appointments - hospital paediatrician / physio etc. and I don't feel it is necessary for me to attend appointments as I have been shown the proper excercises to do with her (by mum). I just wish there was someone who could come and see her behaviour with regards to my co-minder. I think I will mention her behaviour more to mum and make sure she is aware of the situation and if nothing improves I may request her health visitor come visit and see if she can help?

Thanks all who replied - its a brain scratcher. But talking it through has helped sort my head a bit.

Have you thought of videoing the child's behaviour when she is with your co-minder? discuss this with mum so she knows where you are coming from when she sees the behaviour?

Hypermobility does present with symptoms such as anxiety in some people, also IBS which results in either constipation or diarrhoea, wind, headaches, pain in neck and night pains too which will disrupt sleep.

Hope you get help soon.