PDA

View Full Version : I would like just unburden

Hello you
22-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone,

The child that I am nannying, she is 14 months, everything I cook to her I have to put milk or yogurt otherwise she does not eat, it is frustrating....her mother puts yoghurt in her food since ever, because, she uses curry and she cuts the flavour with yoghurt...now, the child has an association when eating solid, it has to be like porridge .... :(
Some help would be appreciated, thank you!

hectors house
22-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Could you slowly start to cut down on the amount of yoghurt you use until the child gets used to a slightly thicker texture? Is it the look of the food, the taste or purely just a runny texture you are trying to change?

Hello you
23-09-2015, 05:38 AM
Thank you for your help! She is quite difficult to eat, she does eats lumps, but not much and also the thing is her mother because if she keeps putting yoghurt it's difficult for me to make changes, you know what I mean?
I feel frustrate to cook for this child...

QUOTE=hectors house;1408564]Could you slowly start to cut down on the amount of yoghurt you use until the child gets used to a slightly thicker texture? Is it the look of the food, the taste or purely just a runny texture you are trying to change?[/QUOTE]

mama2three
23-09-2015, 06:46 AM
How is she with finger foods . I would have things she can grasp and chew on alongside her meals , and gradually change the texture. Let mum know what youre doing and the reasons behind it - its not just about nutrition she needs to chew to develop the muscles she needs for speech too.

Hello you
03-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks for your attention....she is very bad with finger foods, she throws and she does not eat at all...
Nobody can get her to umprove it, even mother...I am living a nightmare with this child, she spits everything
I take 1:20 to finish feeding her, she screams, cry etc....

How is she with finger foods . I would have things she can grasp and chew on alongside her meals , and gradually change the texture. Let mum know what youre doing and the reasons behind it - its not just about nutrition she needs to chew to develop the muscles she needs for speech too.

lollipop kid
03-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your attention....she is very bad with finger foods, she throws and she does not eat at all...
Nobody can get her to umprove it, even mother...I am living a nightmare with this child, she spits everything
I take 1:20 to finish feeding her, she screams, cry etc....

I feel for you.

Personally, what I've done in the past with a fussy eater is to let them guide me on what/when they will eat. If they close their mouths, and won't take the food, then I take the food away, give them a drink, do something else, such as an activity that they enjoy - even going into the garden to look at the birds - and try again later if/when they appear hungry.

It sounds to me as if you are in a battle of wills with this child. You might find it easier if you relax a little, and the moment the child starts refusing the food, just make that the end of the meal, do something else, then try again later. Keep your cool and just give the child lots of praise when she eats for you, and don't make a big deal of it when she doesn't. Just do something else. I'm sure she'll want to eat more when she's hungry.

Others will be along with better advice for you soon, I'm sure. Bear in mind that, if the situation doesn't improve for you and you feel you are still struggling, then it's OK for you to decide that perhaps this family is not the right one for you and to move on somewhere else.

Stay calm and be kind and patient with the child. I'm sure you'll get there. If it starts to get you down too much, then think of your own needs and start looking for something else.

Big hugs,

LK

samb
03-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I would agree with LK. If she throws it she doesn't get it. If she clamps her mouth shut she doesn't get it etc. she is communicating that she doesn't want to eat it for whatever reason. I wouldn't make her. In terms of yogurt again I would just cut back on the amount added to the meal slowly.

I used to get upset about parents doing the opposite to what we had agreed etc but I have mainly found they get used to home and mine being different eventually. So I don't get hung up on it anymore.

Hello you
03-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Thank you, I have done all those possibilities, it does not work...

I feel for you.

Personally, what I've done in the past with a fussy eater is to let them guide me on what/when they will eat. If they close their mouths, and won't take the food, then I take the food away, give them a drink, do something else, such as an activity that they enjoy - even going into the garden to look at the birds - and try again later if/when they appear hungry.

It sounds to me as if you are in a battle of wills with this child. You might find it easier if you relax a little, and the moment the child starts refusing the food, just make that the end of the meal, do something else, then try again later. Keep your cool and just give the child lots of praise when she eats for you, and don't make a big deal of it when she doesn't. Just do something else. I'm sure she'll want to eat more when she's hungry.

Others will be along with better advice for you soon, I'm sure. Bear in mind that, if the situation doesn't improve for you and you feel you are still struggling, then it's OK for you to decide that perhaps this family is not the right one for you and to move on somewhere else.

Stay calm and be kind and patient with the child. I'm sure you'll get there. If it starts to get you down too much, then think of your own needs and start looking for something else.

Big hugs,

LK

Hello you
03-10-2015, 01:01 PM
I do not agree about changing the job, because, childcare is very hard anyway and everywhere, life is not like that, we have to face to what we have instead of escaping to another situation...
The job is very nice, parents are ok, etc... The only problem is make the child eating and she has always been hard anyway...it is not my fault, parents are struggling since she is 9 months...for sure, all started when the mother missed her weaning and also her routine is a mess. But I am not there to say to her mother she made a bad job, so it is a difficult situation...she is lovely child, we do lots of things, activities...I find her a little bit hyper active as well, she does not share when she is in a group, she steals toys from others, throw balls into children's head, etc...