PDA

View Full Version : Cream of tartar?

loocyloo
21-09-2015, 05:48 PM
hello!

does anyone know which supermarkets are still selling cream of tartar in tubs, rather than those silly little sachets? £1.15 for 6 5g sachets!!! I need to make a huge batch of playdough!

I've looked at Asda and Lidl, and I think already know that Tesco don't!

I've found some online - about £15.00 for a KG !!!

thanks x

snortlet
21-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Aldi and Waitrose sell the 140g Dr Oetker brand ones if there are any of those stores near you.

Lal
21-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Aldi had some of their own brand tubs too the other week.

mumofone
21-09-2015, 07:41 PM
hello! does anyone know which supermarkets are still selling cream of tartar in tubs, rather than those silly little sachets? £1.15 for 6 5g sachets!!! I need to make a huge batch of playdough! I've looked at Asda and Lidl, and I think already know that Tesco don't! I've found some online - about £15.00 for a KG !!! thanks x

Lol, I can only get sachets at my supermarket too, drives me mad!

moggy
21-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Sainsburys only did sachets last time I looked.
Waitrose does tubs.

loocyloo
21-09-2015, 08:10 PM
thanks everyone ... no idea WHERE my closest Waitrose is, nearest Aldi is about 45min drive away!

blue bear
21-09-2015, 09:48 PM
You can buy bigger quantities off e bay

tess1981
22-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Do you have home bargins or bm bargins near you ... normally get all the baking stuff in there

mama2three
22-09-2015, 07:01 AM
I have a feeing dr oetker have stopped doing the 140g size , even amazon is out of stock now. Ive started getting it on Ebay , any quantity you like!

hectors house
22-09-2015, 08:37 AM
I saw M & S had big tubs of their own brand a couple of months ago so I stocked up - I did email Dr Oetker (however you spell it) 2 years ago and complain when our local Asda started selling the silly little sachets, they said they had been asked to do it in sachets by bakers!

Maza
22-09-2015, 09:02 AM
I think all of our supermarkets sell the tubs. Could you speak to the managers of the stores and order some in? I'm off to Sainsbury's in a minute so I'll see if they still do the tubs - maybe only the bigger stores do them? Could you do an online supermarket shop and get it that way? Some of our corner shops sell it too.

loocyloo
22-09-2015, 11:15 AM
I think all of our supermarkets sell the tubs. Could you speak to the managers of the stores and order some in? I'm off to Sainsbury's in a minute so I'll see if they still do the tubs - maybe only the bigger stores do them? Could you do an online supermarket shop and get it that way? Some of our corner shops sell it too.

Like mouse , when i enquired i was told that people wanted it in sachets! My local 'sell everything' shop said even the cash and carry only had sachets! As the tubs were old stock and were out of date.

No hope online ... sachets only!

My nearest home bargains etc are by aldi ... but I'm heading that way at the weekend, so may look!

Thanks everyone

crumpet54
22-09-2015, 12:25 PM
I went into morrisons and asked if they had any - the assistant took me to the sauces aisle and pointed to the tarter sauce for fish ???? Lol

Maza
22-09-2015, 01:10 PM
I went to my big Sainsbury's today and...only sachets.
If anyone finds a tub they must come back and tell us all!

smurfette
23-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Do dealz do it? They have quite a good range of baking stuff now

Kirstylob
24-09-2015, 02:50 PM
CREAM OF TARTAR-VALUE JAR - Cosy Direct - http://www.cosydirect.com/cream-of-tartar-value-jar.html
Cosy do it, is that any help?

loocyloo
24-09-2015, 03:55 PM
CREAM OF TARTAR-VALUE JAR - Cosy Direct - http://www.cosydirect.com/cream-of-tartar-value-jar.html
Cosy do it, is that any help?

Thanks .... that's all i need ... an excuse to make a cosy order ;0)

Seriously though, thank you, that is a great help and a reasonable price. Although i haven't factored in postage.

Kirstylob
24-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Sorry. I was only trying to help! Promise I don't work for Cosy. ;-)

BallyH
24-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Someone is selling it on ebay. 500g for £9.50. Free postage. Is that a big enough quantity?

loocyloo
24-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Someone is selling it on ebay. 500g for £9.50. Free postage. Is that a big enough quantity?

:D that's who I am planning to get it from if I can't find any over the weekend! :D

Funnily enough, my mum lives in a village close to the sellers address, and if it wasn't free postage, I'd be getting her to pick it up and bring it with her next time she comes!!!

Kiddleywinks
26-09-2015, 08:31 AM
I went into morrisons and asked if they had any - the assistant took me to the sauces aisle and pointed to the tarter sauce for fish ???? Lol

I had an ASDA delivery and they had substituted 'Chorizo' for....... Salmon?!?!?! :laughing:

hectors house
26-09-2015, 07:08 PM
I had an ASDA delivery and they had substituted 'Chorizo' for....... Salmon?!?!?! :laughing:

Years ago when I worked in a supermarket, I had a man come up and ask me if what he had picked up was bicarb of soda to help with chicken pox, I looked in his basket and said that "yes it would get rid of the spots and prob the skin too as he had picked up washing soda"!:laughing:

k1rstie
26-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Years ago when I worked in a supermarket, I had a man come up and ask me if what he had picked up was bicarb of soda to help with chicken pox, I looked in his basket and said that "yes it would get rid of the spots and prob the skin too as he had picked up washing soda"!:laughing:

In my retail days, I was asked 'do you have turkey breasts?' , 'no they're mine!!' was my reply

samb
27-09-2015, 10:44 AM
I have never seen them in sachets we only have pots here? My current pot is Tesco and is 140g.

catswhiskers
30-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Both the Sainsburys I go to used to sell in tubs, then sold in sachets. Now they don't sell the sachets.

Went to Southampton Aldi with my daughter who is at university there and they had big tubs at as I remember about 59p!

Bought two tubs as I also make playdough for a toddler group that I run. Trouble is the church Sunday school sometimes nick it (the playdough) for their Sunday school morning and I end up running around the church looking for the big tub of playdough on a Wednesday!

A nanny friend of mine suggested I put a copy of the recipe for playdough inside the tin next time :laughing:

Maza
16-11-2015, 09:02 PM
I saw tubs of the stuff the other day. I know I am going to sound annoying, but I can't remember where I saw it, sorry. It was either Tesco, Sainsbury's or Waitrose (I chop and change where I shop). I thought of this post as soon as I saw it and thought 'Oooh, I must let them know!' Anyway, it's nice to know that you can still get tubs somewhere. I didn't buy any as I had just stocked up on sachets the week before. x

FloraDora
16-11-2015, 09:27 PM
I saw tubs of the stuff the other day. I know I am going to sound annoying, but I can't remember where I saw it, sorry. It was either Tesco, Sainsbury's or Waitrose (I chop and change where I shop). I thought of this post as soon as I saw it and thought 'Oooh, I must let them know!' Anyway, it's nice to know that you can still get tubs somewhere. I didn't buy any as I had just stocked up on sachets the week before. x

Waitrose - 140g for 99p .
Our Aldi sells bi carb at 59p but not Cream of tartar.
Only sachets in our Sainsburys, Morrisons' Asda and Tesco.
I did the search two weeks ago.

Daisy1956
17-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Thanks I use Ocado for my online shop so they may have the waitrose cream of tartar.