PDA

View Full Version : Ratio.

Happiness
19-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone :)
When I started childminding a few years ago I was always told that my own children were also included in the ratio which made sense.
Has this lately changed please?
My daughter goes to preschool once a week ( she is already 3). I have been told by 2 fellow childminders lately that the new EYFS allows us to care for additional children when our own are at a different setting or someone else cares for them.
I look after 3 children ( including my daughter) on the day she goes to preschool.
Any advice will be appreciated. Xx

Rick
19-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Hi everyone :)
When I started childminding a few years ago I was always told that my own children were also included in the ratio which made sense.
Has this lately changed please?
My daughter goes to preschool once a week ( she is already 3). I have been told by 2 fellow childminders lately that the new EYFS allows us to care for additional children when our own are at a different setting or someone else cares for them.
I look after 3 children ( including my daughter) on the day she goes to preschool.
Any advice will be appreciated. Xx

This letter from Ofsted implies it is viable to take your own children out of your numbers when they are in the care of someone else.

You would need to demonstrate to an inspector that you have thought this through by informing other parents and risk assessing. You need a plan B for if the arrangement for your own child fails and I wouldn't use this as a one off but a regular arrangement eg pre school or at dad's on regular days if he doesn't live with the child etc.

Simona
20-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Happiness.....The best advice would be for you to give the EYFS 2012 a quick read so you are informed....it has not changed since 2012 ....but...the DfE guidance has been updated so I would look at those too .

Worth remembering that the DfE is the 'legislator'...they decide via EYFS and legislation what the requirements are ...OFSTED is simply the regulator....they do not 'expect' anything other than we follow and 'comply' with the law.

If your daughter is at preschool you can fill that space...nowhere in the EYFS says you cannot do that and Ofsted cannot change those rules.
When she does not attend preschool you have to then look at your ratios...so again the EYFS would be very helpful.
I was not able to read the letter because the print is too small but Gill Jones clearly refers to the EYFS in there