PDA

View Full Version : Hand washing versus wipes

mumofone
18-09-2015, 08:12 AM
After the toilet I encourage hand washing at the basin with soap and water and when we come from outside in but when children have just eaten at the table for lunch and snacks I give them a wipe to wipe round their mouths and hands because otherwise they would get dirt on the rooms and walls before they reached the basin in the downstairs toilet. Just wondered if this is seen as "acceptable" in ofsteds eyes? Would they be required to wash hands in addition to using the wipe too?

Mouse
18-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Consider the reason why children are washing their hands. Is it to get rid of germs or to get rid of dirt?

If it's primarily to get rid of germs (so after the toilet or playing in the garden) use hot running water.

If it's to get rid of dirt (after eating) wipes are fine.

i keep a supply of fleece squares or small flannels. I fill a bowl with warm soapy water (usually baby bath) and put some cloths in it while the children eat. When they've finished they get a warm, wet cloth to wipe their hands and mouth.

Maza
18-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Mine know from a very young age that they must not touch ANYTHING on their way to the bathroom to wash their hands. I have had to train them to not do so, but they quite enjoy the 'drill' now. (Sorry, I'm still talking in the present tense and I'm not child minding any more!) Occasionally I do give them a wet flannel (prefer not to use wipes) instead. I think the important thing is that you are taking some time each day to teach and reinforce proper hand washing, like how you described. It doesn't have to be the whole rigmarole each time - in my opinion.

Simona
18-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Mumofone...a word of reassurance

It is not what is 'acceptable' to ofsted........it is how you promote Health and Well being in your practice according to the EYFS

it is how you teach the children that the inspector will be observing....your boundaries, your way of explaining and the outcomes of that.

BallyH
18-09-2015, 11:42 AM
If on inspection day, you went through the same scenario in silence, I doubt Ofsted would 'accept it'. However if you chatted continually to the children, asked them how they got dirty, what do we do now? Germs on hands, walls etc etc and in chatting to the children, listening to their questions and answers you are explaining indirectly to the lovely Ofsted lady, who is watching and listening to everything, that this is why we do what we do. Just keep chatting and asking the mindees questions.