PDA

View Full Version : Science experiments!

alex__17
17-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Current after schoolers want to do science experiments, any easy ones people can recommend that they can see the results and little ones can join in too if they want?
I was thinking of white flowers in food coloured water but they'd take that home (only come on a Thursday) so wouldn't take them long to set up...

mumofone
17-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Current after schoolers want to do science experiments, any easy ones people can recommend that they can see the results and little ones can join in too if they want? I was thinking of white flowers in food coloured water but they'd take that home (only come on a Thursday) so wouldn't take them long to set up...

Lol I tried one recently with baking soda and vinegar or something which didn't work at all! If you find any good ones that actually work let me know! :-) :-) x

BallyH
17-09-2015, 05:46 PM
There is a simple video on you tube about 'how to blow up a balloon with baking soda and vinegar'. It looks simple enough for several children to have a go. In fact you will get loads of ideas on you tube.

alex__17
17-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Brilliant thanks will have a look later... I'm actually a scientist so loved that they want to do something sciencey!!
Had no idea you tube would have stuff can't wait to try it out!

Maza
17-09-2015, 06:17 PM
I love doing science experiments/investigations. I have a book called 'Dad's Book of Awesome Science Experiments' which is great - you should check out your local library for something similar.

The baking soda/vinegar is a firm favourite here - mumofone you HAVE to try it again. We use little syringes to add the vinegar to clumps of baking soda.

Sorry I don't have any links as I got these ones from my book, but if you google the key words you should come up with instructions;
Cleaning pennies in vinegar and salt
Floating grapes (water and sugar)
Rainbow water stacks
Making crystals
straw rocket balloons
Mentos and coke rocket
Planting cress seeds under different conditions
Making ice shapes (rubber glove is always a good one) You could then use syringes to drop food colouring onto the ice and see how it travels - very pretty. You could put the ice in different places to see which one melts the fastest, or add salt to some and not others (reinforce fair testing so keep them all in the same place if you are adding salt)
Shadow puppets - can you make two shadows/change the size/position
Sun dials

There was a really good candy cane one to do at Christmas - this is everywhere on the web. It involves putting candy canes in different liquids and observing what happens.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head, but would love to get some new ideas.

loocyloo
17-09-2015, 07:55 PM
I have a book called 'my big science book' with lots of ideas in. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Science-Book-Simon-Mugford/dp/1843321343/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442519608&sr=8-1&keywords=My+big+science++book

This is a good blog for science ideas
http://babbledabbledo.com

Enjoy xxx