PDA

View Full Version : Term time only

mummyemma
16-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Helloooo

Advise again sorry, If you take some one on who only wants term time then do you charge them a bit more or do you just put money aside for the six weeks !?

Thanks Emma

Ripeberry
16-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Charge them more per hour. I never charged a retainer for holidays as I didn't want to work them.

BallyH
16-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Eyfs children pay half during the holidays and full payment if they come for a day. I now don't take retainers for term time only schoolies as don't want any schoolies in the hols. I'm happy with eyfs only in holidays.

mummyemma
16-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your replies, what do you charge for lateness ?

Thanks emma

Snowwhite
17-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Out of interest how much extra per hour and also per day (when using a daily charge) would you charge during term time in order to make up for loss of earnings if no fee charged in hols as opposed to half fee in the hols?

AliceK
17-09-2015, 08:30 AM
I charge 55p per hour more for TTO and then don't charge anything in school hols. I do insist on Sept's payment at the end of July though.
I don't mind doing some TTO as I know my nursery children and school children who come all day during school hols will make up some of the shortfall. Also it's nice sometimes to have some quieter days during the hols.

xx

BallyH
17-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Term time schoolies pay £1 an hour more than all day eyfs children. But then they are here for a much shorter time. I don't charge an increase in hourly rate for TTO eyfs children. They pay half in hols of their normal hourly rate. I don't do day rates because I don't have anyone on 'part time' hours. All eyfs children do full days. My income is down, especially August but I budget as I know it's coming. You have to run your business with how you can live with it. The way I work suits me at this stage of my family's busy life. I can decide to up hoilday work as and when I need it but at moment I'm happy. However when my mindees start school next year and new children start it may be a different story.

Snowwhite
17-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Emma, i say to parents and write on contract that they will be charged my hourly rate if late. Late as in 10 minutes or more. Don't mind the odd 5 mins but as long as you make it clear from the start then you usually find the parent won't take the mickey. May be the odd time when traffic has caused them to be late, but i always tell a parent to let me know if safe to do so that they are running late or they may be charged. So far i have never had to charge anyone.

FloraDora
17-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Since I also want to work TTO I don't charge any more than usual rate.
I really think it is a bit much saying to charge them more per hour and then to say I never charged a retainer as I didn't want to work them.
I understand that some CHM are all year and so if you take on a teachers child you require compensating. But if you want the school holidays off Teachers are perfect....the good news too is that they are also supportive of you having to track and observe and will be able to work with you well in this area. Mine send me their own observations and photos which means that the child's learning journal is a real joint venture. It is unlikely that there will be any payment issues and if they do lose their job you will get lots of notice!

As an ex teacher I think that it is a little unfair to charge extra for childcare per hour when you don't require it in the holidays, when your childminder doesn't want you to use them in the holidays!
But then I am amazed at what some childminder's can get away with in charges and charging for times when the childminder is on holiday!

ajc
17-09-2015, 02:48 PM
I agree with Floradora, if you don't want to work all year it's a bit much putting prices up. I just explain to teachers that if I am working in the holidays that I will charge half rate if they don't come, they can use the space if they need it for full rate. If I decide I don't want to work I don't charge the half rate, seems fairer to me.

Ripeberry
17-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Out of interest how much extra per hour and also per day (when using a daily charge) would you charge during term time in order to make up for loss of earnings if no fee charged in hols as opposed to half fee in the hols?
I charged £1 more

natlou82
17-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I charge 50p more per hour for TTO EYFS children. I don't charge retainers. All of my schoolies are on TTO contracts with adhoc during school hols, they then just pay for what they need.