PDA

View Full Version : Eysf advice, am a bit confused!

rollypolly
16-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Hi, I have a lo, who was 3 in August, so they have started school nursery. They do 15 hours at the nursery and 12 hours with me. When I asked the nursery if they wanted to look at the lo learning Journal (been with me since a 6 months old) , they replied, no it wasn't necessary, and they would start a new Eyfs journey now, as the lo is at nursery more hours than with me. I'm I right in thinking that we should both be doing this? I did say to the nursery, it would be lovely if we could work together, but didn't really get much of an answer. Should also say, this is a totally new school to me, not my normal pick up.
Thanks x

FloraDora
16-09-2015, 12:56 PM
I think all nurseries work differently and some are a little slower/ reluctant to liaise more than others.
I share some funding with a school nursery and we are emailing info to each other , the teacher has also suggested we meet - she is happy to come to my setting. I am supporting the LO within her theme too.

moggy
16-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Keep evidence of every approach you have made, keep going on your own LJ- there is only so much we can do. You can quote EYFS to them but if they don't want to listen then at least keep your own evidence- copies of letters, list phone calls and outcomes, print emails etc. Then if you are asked then at least you can show your efforts. Some nurseries are great at working with CMer, some are not.

Maybe involve the parent, if they are happy to speak up to the nursery- explain the importance of working together and ask parent to ask for you to join their next nursery parents' meeting or maybe parent can ask nursery to share LJ with you?

Or be more specific with the nursery- ask for a meeting, get name of key worker and manager. Ask them how you can support them- what themes/topic/next steps are they working on?

rollypolly
16-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks, that's great advice. Will speak to the parents and get the name of lo key worker. Will keep trying to work with the school, and suggested a meeting. Have documented it all :)

Simona
16-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Rollypolly...under the new CIF providers have to get information from previous providers about a child's progress.
Your LJ will provide the assessment from you which, in turn, will become their starting points

This is clearly stated under the CIF Teaching, Learning and Assessment on page 13 of the document.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-inspection-framework-education-skills-and-early-years-from-september-2015

Make sure your input is valued and taken into account especially because the child will be with you for several hours and you will compliment what is being done at nursery.
The nursery should also communicate with you....that will be part of their Leadership and Management

Approach them again and take a copy of the CIF with you fro good measure.
I think Ofsted have put emphasis on providers working together so we all need to do our bit...when the 30 hrs kicks in that will be very much the required practice.

Good luck!

blue bear
16-09-2015, 07:40 PM
I've found asking gets you. Know where much better to tell them. Hi my name is be I am x childminder, here is a copy if my latest assessment for you to put in your file as his starting points, ofsted like this. I will send in copies of observations I have done and will need you to give me copies of any wow ones you do to please, ofsted like this and it will look good in your records. I am happy to extend child's learning from any themes you might be doing if you let me have a copy of newsletters etc.
often the workers don't actually know how to work in partnership and are much happier wen you tell them your expectations,

Simona
17-09-2015, 07:47 AM
I can see that the lack of 'co-operation' with other settings has proven to be a sore point and often caused frustration.
I have met with good examples and very bad ones myself.

Many cms have reported in the past of not being able to do as requested in the EYFS by exchanging info with nurseries and preschools their child attended.
Many settings have also reported CMs not interested in exchanging information....it is definitely a 2 way system.

It has been a very negative experience for many....BUT...there is an opportunity now to change course and get on as the CIF suggest we do....that is what providers wanted in the CIF.

All that is required is to share general progress information so the 2 settings can compliment the child's learning....make sure the parents drive that info sharing...put the ball in their court!
This will prove very good and tick the box for 'Leadership and Management' from both settings.

Think ahead...with the 30 hrs of childcare in sight ...many more children will find themselves sharing settings and school provision too.