PDA

View Full Version : #EYTALKING with Ofsted Gill Jones and Sean Harford

Simona
15-09-2015, 08:40 PM
We have just had a good session on twitter with Ofsted Gill and Sean.

It covered CIF, SEF...guidance on the way apparently!!! ....EYPP, British Values with good advice from Gill Jones on continuing what we are 'already' doing with PSED ...so no need to get the flags out!!
She mentioned that anyone getting low grades must inform LA who will support.

One good piece of news on CMs ratios and increase in numbers.
I said to Gill that this issue is still causing confusion because the EYFS is so unclear and needs updating

Her reply was :
' Gill Jones ‏@GillJonesOfsted · 2h2 hours ago
Simona, the DFE have produced some additional guidance to help with ratios #EYTalking

Gill didn't say where we could find it but I am sure we will in time....fingers crossed!

As soon as I get the collated tweets from EYTalking I will post the link.

BallyH
15-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Thank you. I look forward to reading more.

mumofone
15-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks Simona :-)

Simona
15-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Here is the link
Scroll to the bottom then read all the way UP so it makes sense...it was very busy but I am sure you will get the gist of it!

https://storify.com/EYTalking/ofsted-15th-september-20-2015?awesm=sfy.co_e0lL7&utm_content=storify-pingback&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=sfy.co-twitter&utm_campaign=

Simona
16-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Following the Eytalking session many continued with the discussion focussing on British Values and it continued this morning.

There is a real worry on how providers are trying to evidence BV and what is available on the Internet

Many trainers and consultants....including those who belong to NEYTCO....are against posters, or any sort of merchandise, eating a roast...incredible that one...and some say training is not required on this issue.

Those values are universal and have been embedded in the EYFS since 2008
The evidence will come from the children themselves as they show their attitudes to respect, Liberty, rule of law and understanding about diversity and other cultures

As Gill Jones said ...carry on exactly as you were doing ....that is important.

sarah707
16-09-2015, 08:07 PM
this is the clarification guidance provided by Ofsted about variations - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/frequently-asked-questions-childminder-ratios/)

It was written partly after we lobbied for it during the OBC meetings - I spoken to Gill and explained how badly it was needed when she came to a Manchester meeting a while ago as well :D

Simona
16-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Yes that is the FAQs on the Foundation Years website based on DfE guidance which the dept suggested after several emails and phone calls
I have an email from the DfE saying the website was to put a FAQs to clarify matters for CMs.

Ofsted' s Gill Jones made an additional announcement on ratio at the more recent Pacey conference after the FAQs were published.

I don't feel that either of those have made things easier for CMs when they come across a situation where an increase is possible....some are still confused by 'continuity of care' and ' new business' and our overall ratio.

This issue was brought up to the attention of both DFE and Ofsted since EYFS was reviewed in 2012
I am more than sure that it was brought up at OBC on several occasions and still nothing has been done because the EYFS is still very cloudy on that.

I have not had time to contact Gill Jones but will do so as soon as I can and also get back to the DfE

Simona
17-09-2015, 07:30 AM
To confirm what I commented on last night below is the message from Gill Jones at the Pacey conference regarding the ratio for CMs.

It clearly states that the DfE has put some FAQs on the Foundation Years website
Gill is merely reinforcing the point about cms ability to increase their numbers when suitable and appropriate and what to do if misinformed....if unsure please double check if you need to increase your numbers.

We must make clear the DfE sets the ratios for CMs....Not Ofsted...Ofsted have to adhere to the EYFS and make sure cms are doing it correctly.

It has often been reported that Cms have been downgraded for increasing their numbers...that is incorrect.
Cms have been downgraded for not 'meeting the needs of all children' and not for increasing their numbers.
At the last London OBC in June this was reinforced by the Ofsted Enforcement Officer who attended and was questioned on the ratio.
I personally put many questions to her on Cms ratio.

please contact Ofsted if you have any problems with this issue...and also the DfE.
in order to resolve this issue we need hundreds or even thousands of CMs raising this problem not just the few.

Gill Jones' message in June 2015 is as follows:

''Following on from PACEY’s spring conference, where the issue of child ratios for childminders was raised, Ofsted has helped clarify the issue and has shared the following guidance, which has also been given to their inspectors and helpline staff:

The EYFS provides the standard ratios but also recognises circumstances where these ratios can change so that the needs of children and their families are met. Paragraphs 3.30 and 3.42 advise that: ‘exceptionally, and where the quality of care and safety and security of children is maintained, exceptions to the ratios may be made’. For example exceptions can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies or when caring for their own baby. There may also be other adjustments to the ratios, for example where children need continuity of care.

Inspectors must ensure that the quality of care is not compromised by a childminder caring for more children and that they meet the needs of all the children in their care. Exceeding the ratio is not a breach in itself unless the childminder is failing to meet the needs of all children.

The Department for Education (DfE) has published some frequently asked questions (FAQs) which provide further guidance.

If you receive information that is different to the above guidance, Ofsted has advised that you take the name of the person, the date and time of the call and report it to them to investigate further''

Further information can be found on the 4 Children Foundation Years website under the FAQs section
Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2015/03/frequently-asked-questions-childminder-ratios/)