PDA

View Full Version : Rising 5 question

alex__17
14-09-2015, 09:01 PM
What exactly is a rising 5?
I thought I was clear but I've been googling last minute and have confused myself (mainly with very varying responses people have had from ofsted asking for clarification!)
I had a new after schooler start last week, he's in reception. I believe he has tomorrow and Wednesday half days at school and is full time after that, I'm collecting him at lunchtime both days.

I'm worried as I thought a rising 5 was from when they started reception class, then I read some things saying it's from full days in reception, so that would be from Thursday of this week. If this is the case Wed isn't a problem as I only have my 3 year old son and 1 other, but tomorrow I'm dropping my son at nursery at the same time as collecting the new child, then another mindee is collected at 245 so freeing up a space for my son when he finishes nursery if that makes sense, but I always count my own son in numbers so I'd have an hour and a half overlap...

Then I read something else saying they're a rising 5 until the 31st aug after their 5th birthday, which would be end of reception, and am panicking I've taken on a new child and totally got it wrong.
I'd be grateful if someone could clarify for me...I feel like the more I look into it the more I confuse myself over what is right and wrong!

muffins
14-09-2015, 09:47 PM
I have always understood it to be when at school full time, so in his case on Thursday!

alex__17
15-09-2015, 06:35 AM
Ahhh right! So I'm ok as long as my son stays at nursery then, I have my parents on standby to have my son if for any reason he has to leave early...seems mad when by Thursday I can have exactly the same kids and he's in the next age group!
I should read things more carefully, I just read once at full time school didn't count the slightly shorter sessions as not being in full time school as was thinking of it as the class/school year rather than the actual time spent there.

Kiddleywinks
15-09-2015, 08:10 AM
...seems mad when by Thursday I can have exactly the same kids and he's in the next age group!

Yup it is mad :thumbsup:;)