PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Minibus

Steve Francis
13-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone, pleased to say my wife's business has really taken off so fast - she is now hiring an assistant and is in need of bigger transportation

I've seen threads on here from several years ago about minibus with lots of different conflicting answers from different people on what is required - her license already allows her too.

Just wondering if anyone currently using one for childminding can offer some definitive advice on whether permits are actually required or not - the whole "is it class as hire or reward" question!!

Thanks very much

hectors house
14-09-2015, 11:59 AM
I haven't got a minibus - so just bumping your post hoping that someone who has got one will give you an answer soon. Although we did think we could get a VW transporter van with rows of seats and then have it converted into a camper van in a few years time when I retire from childminding - so will be popping back to see the replies :thumbsup:

loocyloo
14-09-2015, 12:19 PM
I haven't got a minibus either! but DH is very tempted by 'upgrading' my touran into a T5 ( transporter van ) that we could then remove the seats from for use as a 'van' and possibly camping in the future! ( although we have a '79 vw bay campervan! )

lisa1968
14-09-2015, 01:31 PM
It is a very grey area.I've been driving a 12 seater minibus for years. I passed my test in 1987 so it shows on my licence that I can drive a minibus with passengers without having to do a PSV test. None of the insurance companies that I've used have ever asked if I have passed a PSV test-they just note down that I'm a chidminder and that's it.
The confusion comes around hire and reward. Technically speaking, because parents pay us to care for their child, then it may be classed as hire and reward, even though the parents/children are not physically handing you the cash every time their child gets into the vehicle ( as they would if it was a taxi for example).But that then means that you become a private hire taxi and would need to get the vehicle plated, like a taxi! It is a very grey area. I have never been approached by VOSA about it, and I think it would be very difficult for the police to bring a prosecution against a childminder not having a PSV licence as they are only using it as part of their childminding business and not for the general public! A minibus is a vehicle with between 8 and 16 PASSENGER seats (not including the driver),so if you want to avoid any issues, you need a vehicle with less than 8.