PDA

View Full Version : NAHT raise concerns over the 30 Hours 'free' childcare

Simona
09-09-2015, 09:30 AM
I take my hat off to the union...so quick to raise their concerns over the scheme

Free childcare pledge may lead to fewer nursery places, says union | Education | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/sep/08/free-childcare-pledge-fewer-nursery-places?CMP=twt_a-education_b-gdnedu)

SYLVIA
09-09-2015, 01:39 PM
nice to hear somebody talking sense and thinking of all concerned for a change.

bunyip
09-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Interesting to see a DfE spokesperson describing it as "childcare".

Does this mean they've made their minds up yet as to whether it's "childcare" or "education" ?????? :huh:

bunyip
09-09-2015, 07:01 PM
What's more to the point, if it's "education" then why does the Whitehall regime suddenly believe preschool children need twice as much education as they did previously? :confused:

FloraDora
09-09-2015, 09:05 PM
It's nothing to do with what's best for the children - it's purely about saving money and getting everyone in to work.

mama2three
10-09-2015, 07:38 AM
They have got to refer to it as childcare haven't they?
Can you imagine the outcry if they admitted that those children whose parents weren't in work could only have half the 'education' of their peers with working parents?
They will call it 'education' again when it suits them.

I really hope that this policy fails quickly. Before the gap in attainment is too big for too many children. The child whose parents are on higher incomes is already likely to have a higher attainment level than his peers , that's why funding for places for disadvantaged 2 yr olds was put in place. Then at 3 the disadvantaged child will only get half the education of his better off friend.
What makes me madder is that its being sold as a great thing , a vote winner. Amazing.

Simona
10-09-2015, 03:14 PM
If you are interested you can watch Nicky Morgan give evidence to the Education Select Committee on the 30 hours of childcare
Scroll to 10.38 for her response

Parliamentlive.tv - Education Committee (http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/cc7fa844-1d54-40ba-bf0a-cf8b33da5b9c)

bunyip
10-09-2015, 05:29 PM
It's nothing to do with what's best for the children - it's purely about saving money and getting everyone in to work.

.........but you missed the political imperative to boost the UK's position in world educational league tables (not that that will do anything to improve the lives of those children.) :mad:

bunyip
10-09-2015, 05:40 PM
They have got to refer to it as childcare haven't they?
Can you imagine the outcry if they admitted that those children whose parents weren't in work could only have half the 'education' of their peers with working parents?
They will call it 'education' again when it suits them.

I really hope that this policy fails quickly. Before the gap in attainment is too big for too many children. The child whose parents are on higher incomes is already likely to have a higher attainment level than his peers , that's why funding for places for disadvantaged 2 yr olds was put in place. Then at 3 the disadvantaged child will only get half the education of his better off friend.
What makes me madder is that its being sold as a great thing , a vote winner. Amazing.

New Ladybird publication for the decade: Peter and Jane's Mummy and Daddy are a 'Hard-Working Family'

Page 1
Here is Peter. Here is Jane. Here are Peter and Jane.

Page 2
We like Peter. We like Jane. We all like Peter and Jane.

Page 3
Here is Peter and Jane's Mummy. Here is Peter and Jane's Daddy.

Page 4
We like Peter and Jane's Mummy. We like Peter and Jane's Daddy. We all like Peter and Jane's Mummy and Daddy.

Page 5
Peter and Jane's Mummy and Daddy go to work. They are a 'Hard-Working Family'. We all like 'Hard-Working Families.'

Page 6
Here is Peter and Jane's neighbour, Wayne.

Wayne's Mummy and Daddy do not go to work.

They are not a 'Hard-Working Family'.

They are an Underclass.

Wayne does not go to Peter and Jane's nursery.

Peter and Jane are happy because Wayne does not go to their nursery.

Peter hates Wayne. Jane hates Wayne.

Peter and Jane's Mummy and Daddy hate Wayne's Mummy and Daddy because they are not a 'Hard-Working Family'.

We all hate The Underclass.

NEW WORD = "underclass".

:(

Simona
10-09-2015, 08:31 PM

You are of course right Flora Dora
I wonder how many providers will rise and resist any attempt to sideline children's needs for the economy and give the govt a run for their money?
I know my association is setting the agenda on this...I will watch with interest from the sidelines.