PDA

View Full Version : Charging for 2 children (same family)

mumofone
08-09-2015, 06:14 PM
I know this has been discussed before but as a general rule do people offer a discount when taking on 2 children of the same family and what's your argument for and against? Thanks :-)

natlou82
08-09-2015, 06:19 PM
I charge the same amount during Term time as my spaces are precious and I don't want any of them to run at a reduced rate. In the holidays I do offer a reduced sibling rate to attract holiday only business, I'm happy with this as I am potentially quiet over school hols so this works for me :-)

BallyH
08-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Depends on how busy I am. As i've said in the past all my children are on different rate but siblings, eyfs, are charged the same as each other. No discount as spaces scarce. However I've just taken on 2 schoolies wrap around care (stole them from the after school club!) as I've got their brother full time on eyfs and I've charged them both the same hourly rate as the other schoolies but no fee for tea and no retainer in the holidays. I'm happy with this as it's 3 kids from 1 lovely family who really appreciate me, drop off and collect on time and pay on time! Mum also knows she has be given a good 'deal' as I've asked her not to discuss contract terms with other parents. But we'll see.

loocyloo
08-09-2015, 09:13 PM
I offer a '50p an hour' discount, for the ELDEST child, if 2 siblings BOTH attend for a minimum of 27hrs a week (ie; 3 days). The moment the eldest reduces hours, then they revert to normal hourly fee for both children ( including in the holidays even if they both attend for the full hours )

It works for me, and I know 2 children are still 2 lots of paperwork, 2 lots of meals etc, but it is only one set of parents!

MrsP2C
08-09-2015, 09:19 PM
I don't now because I find siblings can often be more hard work (fighting etc) and if I lose one then it inevitably means losing both. I've just taking on 3 siblings and the only concession I've made is no charge for the Middle child whilst at nursery but I don't have space for him at home anyway so suits us both.

miffy
08-09-2015, 09:30 PM
I don't offer any discounts at all for siblings because both take up a place, cost the same to feed, use the same resources etc etc.

miffy xx

Kiddleywinks
09-09-2015, 06:16 AM
I don't reduce for siblings, a space is a space...
However, I include a lot that others in my area charge extra for.

If someone was pushing for a reduction (or I needed the work) I'd charge for the extras such as meals, wipes, trips etc

Simona
09-09-2015, 08:02 AM
Business/ sustainability question....boring I know!

If you were to apply for funding for 2 siblings would the LA give you a discount because they are related? No
A family would get double benefits for 2 children in childcare...Yes
Childcare vouchers would be fully funded for 2 children...Yes
the new tax free childcare will be fully funded for 2 children...Yes
You would need 2 separate deposits...so double the initial administration fees....yes

We are all different ...yes...so each will do as they see fit but think sustainability!

bunyip
09-09-2015, 06:55 PM
I do not give sibling discounts.

1. They seem to encourage p155-taking. I did a sibling discount once and it was the only really unpleasant client I ever had, who went on to stitch me up like a kipper. :mad:

2. I've been stuck in shop queues behind mums doing the weekly shop or buying school uniform. I've never heard them ask for a discount because they are feeding or clothing siblings.

3. IME siblings can be harder work than 2 children from different families. If they're not fighting with one another, then they gang up on someone else.

4. They are a liability in terms of food standards. If they both get sick with food poisoning (cos mom can't cook or took them out for a dodgy meal) I get closed down pending EHO inspection and clearance, even though it's not my fault.

So, on balance, may I suggest a sibling surcharge would be more reasonable than a sibling discount? :thumbsup:

JoRo163
09-09-2015, 09:13 PM
No sibling discount here! I have several families of siblings and they all pay the same rate per child. I've learnt the hard way... Give an inch, some parents will take a mile. So I'm getting tough!!