PDA

View Full Version : Introduce new mindees to your current mindees parents??

Snowwhite
07-09-2015, 08:23 PM
If the title has confused you then i will make it a bit clearer. I do the handover's on my doorstep and if any new children start with me i always tell the current parents and try to introduce the new child or children to them, but that involves bringing the new child/children through from the room they are playing in and often when it's a baby/toddler they get upset as they think it's their parent at the door! Do you just tend to tell parents about new mindees and introduce or do you just tell them and leave it as that? I've noticed some parents prefer not to be kept long as just want to get to work or get home after work! Thanks

Mouse
07-09-2015, 08:41 PM
I tell parents when we've got a new child starting - you can't really keep it quiet when their child runs to the door shouting "X has been here today!"

I don't make a particular point of introducing the new child to the parents though. I don't really see any need to. What tends to happen is that over time the new child follows me to the door, or there will be a time when I'm holding the child when I answer the door. Parents always get to see the new child, but just when it happens, not in any planned way.

FussyElmo
07-09-2015, 08:44 PM
I tell parents when we've got a new child starting - you can't really keep it quiet when their child runs to the door shouting "X has been here today!"

I don't make a particular point of introducing the new child to the parents though. I don't really see any need to. What tends to happen is that over time the new child follows me to the door, or there will be a time when I'm holding the child when I answer the door. Parents always get to see the new child, but just when it happens, not in any planned way.

Pretty much as Mouse says I tell them we have a new starter but don't go out of my way to introduce them.

Snowwhite
07-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Good to know what you do, and i did actually bring my newbie to the door today to introduce to my current parent and to be honest it seemed like the mum wasn't that bothered and then her own kids started playing up a bit due to me taking up that extra minute! Perhaps i should mention to the parents and not go out of my way as such to introduce. The children usually have tv time when it's pick up time so i have no real need to bring them all through to say hello/stand by me at the door (unless i don't trust them!) but they are usually happy sat watching tv unless they know it's their parent at the door. Occasionally a young one will be in my arms at pick up time but often easier to have that little one in my highchair during that time of day.

Maza
07-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Interesting question. I pretty much do what the others have said and play it by ear.

FloraDora
07-09-2015, 09:37 PM
I know this will horrify lots but....
My home is the families I work with's home too whilst the children are here.
I unlock the door at 7.45 , the parents walk in , take off shoes and coats join us, stay and chat, interact...then go off to work, some come a little earlier in order to do this...so lots of chat about latest interest etc...sleep and anything they have been up to.
At the end of the day the front door is unlocked again, parents come in wander through to where we are if in garden, chat, play and then say goodbye.
All parents know / have met each other and all the children...it's only a few minutes extra....

We have a great relationship and the parents are very forgiving of another child's occasional pushing outburst when they know that child....its part of my unique selling point...and I like to see them interact.
My own children (24,29) went to a childminder who is still their 'go to' in tough times and they are best friends, almost like brothers and sisters to the children who went with them...attending each other's weddings, holidaying, being the first to visit new babies... Etc... I like this and secretly hope that my present LO's wiil stay forever friends too. They stand more chance of doing this if their parents know each other well.

Snowwhite
07-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Your right FloraDora this does horrify me! Ha ha. That's nice that you can do that, and you seen really happy with that, but for me it would feel uncomfortable. My home is my home, not an open house and i know my husband feels the same. Having parents in my home on first visit is a different matter but after that... Parents also always ring the doorbell and front door /side door is always locked,and for safety reasons aswell. All parents are always very nice and friendly but some don't want to be full on chatty knowing all the in's and out's and coming into my home, and having a nose at the same time, they just want to know their child is happy etc. Nurseries of course have parents come right in and stop for a chat, or at least the one i worked in did. I have always done handovers at the door as it's quicker and not so distressing for a child, and the child can really play up once a parent comes in and chats. Works for me. Even to just introduce a new child i wouldn't invite the parent in. Parent always knows that they can come in if need to discuss something that's quite private.

tess1981
07-09-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm not as opened house as floradora but all my parents chat to the other children in my care many a time I invited a parent in to chat or meet a new child. My sister recently had a baby and was in mine one collection time. I paraded all the parents into look at the new arrival. I have seen me call parents around to the back of the house where we are and stand and chat.
I do have a but though. It'd on my terms lol
I like my parents and children all to meet each other. It also helps parents put a name to the face that their children are talking about. Also makes us all a little closer as a family for want of a better word. Parents chat to the other children and if they see they are having a bad day will offer words of comfort.

loocyloo
08-09-2015, 06:23 AM
My parents tend to drop and run in the morning, but if time at pick up (neither they or ì needing to rush off!) They usually come in and have a chat/see what everyone is doing etc.
But they have to knock on the door - i couldn't leave it unlocked!

My mindees do form strong friendships that seem enduring, and are very much a family, looking out for each other both at home and at school.

hectors house
08-09-2015, 07:34 AM
I unlock the door at 7.45 , the parents walk in , take off shoes and coats join us, stay and chat, interact...then go off to work, some come a little earlier in order to do this...so lots of chat about latest interest etc...sleep and anything they have been up to.
At the end of the day the front door is unlocked again, parents come in wander through to where we are if in garden, chat, play and then say goodbye.
All parents know / have met each other and all the children...it's only a few minutes extra....

We have a great relationship and the parents are very forgiving of another child's occasional pushing outburst when they know that child....its part of my unique selling point...and I like to see them interact.
My own children (24,29) went to a childminder who is still their 'go to' in tough times and they are best friends, almost like brothers and sisters to the children who went with them...attending each other's weddings, holidaying, being the first to visit new babies... Etc... I like this and secretly hope that my present LO's wiil stay forever friends too. They stand more chance of doing this if their parents know each other well.

I have pretty much an open house like FloraDora, maybe it's easier for us as our own children have left home. I leave the door unlocked when I get home from swimming at 7.45 and parents let themselves in when they arrive, this morning one dad arrived 5 mins early and I was still upstairs drying my hair, he just shouted Hello and went into the lounge with his son to play with the toys I had already set up. Some parents will come in and sit down for a chat in lounge (they have to take shoes off first) others will just start in lounge door on the laminate flooring chatting for a few mins, doing a verbal handover.

I generally arrange new parent meetings in the afternoons when I know other parents will be picking up - they generally sing my praises and "sell me" to the new parents, sometimes it turns out that they know each other or went to school together. So my existing parents have already started asking me, when is X starting.

I know Ofsted wouldn't like my open door policy but parents like being able to sneak in without the child noticing and catch them playing nicely, sitting quietly listening to a story or playing a board game with me- it's generally unlocked between 7.45 - 8.45 am and then I unlock it again between 3.30 - 4.00 and then 4.50 - 5.10. I live in a very quiet cul-de-sac and have a lounge door, front door and porch door to prevent the children escaping - I know a stranger could just walk in but my dogs would soon bark as they seem to know when it's someone different.

FussyElmo
08-09-2015, 08:10 AM
I think its great that we all have such different ways of working :thumbsup:

No unlocked door here but that more to keep mine (children and dogs) from escaping. Like loocyloo mine parents do tend to drop and run in the morning.

I have no problems with parents coming in but it tends to be more at pick up.

Mouse
08-09-2015, 09:01 AM
My door remains firmly locked at all times and the majority of hand overs are done at the door, occasionally in the hall. Parents know they can come in for a chat if they need/want to and children do sometimes want their parents to come in and see what they've been playing with, although everything has usually been packed away by home time. Children also arrive and leave at different times, so parents rarely see each other then.

I do always have a chat with parents at drop off or collection, so I know exactly what's going on in their lives! I stay friends with a lot of the parents after the children have left my care, although some leave never to be seen again - or never to acknowledge me when I see them out and about, which is a bit strange even if I did only look after their children for a short time!

Despite me not providing an open house, a lot the children become friends away from here and the parents do get to know each other. This year they have all been to each other's birthday parties, have met up for play dates & at the park and one mum actually looked after one of the other children when I was on holiday! I love that they are in contact with each other (although I do sometimes wonder if they talk about me and compare notes :p) and the way it happens works perfectly for me :thumbsup:

Mouse
08-09-2015, 09:07 AM

The childminder I used for my children worked in a similar way...until she had one creepy dad who used to arrive extra early and she'd often still be in the shower :panic:

BallyH
08-09-2015, 09:53 AM
My door is also locked. Parents are quick to drop off in the morning but most tend to want to come inside in the evenings. New children are gently introduced, but their child tends to introduce them anyway. My parents seem to gain comfort from watching their children interact in my house with the others before they go home. This is when we'll catch up and chat before another parent arrives. The children mostly go to the same primary school so parents are keen to know who'll be leaving with them and quickly get to know the other children's names. I will introduce parents if they meet on the doorstep but in most cases they know one another or have at least seen the other parent around town or at a toddler group/church etc in the past. My children have been on play dates and to one another's parties etc which I am really pleased about. In the past, about 4 years ago, I started a book club with the current group of mums as I was loosing 3 at once to school and wanted to keep in touch. It has 8 members and is still running strong. Am thinking of starting another book club towards the end of next summer, as again I will loose 3 full timers to school and I will invite all current mums if they would like to join. I'm not sexist, as I am the only girl in a house with 4 men I do enjoy female company.

Maza
08-09-2015, 12:11 PM
It's great that we all do things differently, working within our strengths and limitations. It would be impossible for me to do 'open house' because our communal front door downstairs has to remain locked. When I first started minding the parents used to come up to our flat with their child in the mornings and settle them in and come up again in the evenings and it all felt very natural. Then one mum had a baby and didn't want to get the baby out of the car and so she started dropping at the door instead (I went on to mind that baby for a couple of years). A new dad would arrive on his bicycle and didn't want to leave it outside our flat and preferred handing over at the door. I have to say, I couldn't imagine having this dad come into the flat every day as he is like a bull in a china shop and his son turns into one too when his dad arrives. It was hard enough trying to get him off my doorstep each night without trampling/climbing on everything.

I think the point someone made about having your own little children at home also impacts such decisions - and what time you finish each evening. Come 6.00ish and my daughter needed me to herself and I needed to get my home back in order for when DH got home from work.

If you don't have 'open house' you just have to maybe think a little creatively about how you will meet all the needs in a different way.

greenfaerie
08-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Only had to introduce once since I'm new, but sent the parents a message about the new child after I'd signed contracts and then introduced them at drop off time, since they were in my arms at the time. :) I'm usually not far from the children anyway! Picture a person covered in tiny children and that's about right. :S

I don't leave my door unlocked as my own 2 year old would be out in a shot. (She keeps trying the door to test it at random times!) O_o I do invite parents in when they arrive though. I just like the feeling of welcoming or saying goodbye to the child in the hallway so they can finish what they were doing whilst I tell their parents about their day. I usually have a lot to chat about or something to be signed, so I find it's easier if the parent comes into the playroom. Plus the parents usually have nappy bags and stuff to bring in.

I like the open feeling I have by inviting the parents in, they can see where their child plays all day and often the chaos they've created. Plus I like the fact that they know I'm not hiding anything and everything is available for viewing. :)