PDA

View Full Version : Religious/multicultural festivals

mumofone
07-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Can anyone help me out with multicultural or religious festivals to mark and celebrate and learn about with my mindees? I'm useless on this front (embarrassingly so!) so any advice appreciated. Will be with a 4 and 6 year old x

FussyElmo
07-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Can anyone help me out with multicultural or religious festivals to mark and celebrate and learn about with my mindees? I'm useless on this front (embarrassingly so!) so any advice appreciated. Will be with a 4 and 6 year old x

There is no right or wrong ones to celebrate.

I would say any that have any relevance to the children themselves.

there is a 2015 planning guide on childcare .co.uk :thumbsup: (its under 2015 planning in childminder guides )

This month im going to be doing about it being the longest reign of any monarch and roald dalh day

Simona
07-09-2015, 08:27 AM

Look no further than Development Matters: Understanding the World 'People and communities'
Also part of British Values to respect other faiths customs and cultures!

mumofone
07-09-2015, 08:05 PM
There is no right or wrong ones to celebrate. I would say any that have any relevance to the children themselves. there is a 2015 planning guide on childcare .co.uk :thumbsup: (its under 2015 planning in childminder guides ) This month im going to be doing about it being the longest reign of any monarch and roald dalh day

Thanks fussy, yes the queens reign is a good one. Dyou know what you're doing for it?

FussyElmo
07-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks fussy, yes the queens reign is a good one. Dyou know what you're doing for it?

I'm going to be doing afternoon tea. Baking for the eyfs mindees.

Also going to get them to write a letter to the Queen says congratulations. Hoping for a reply back.

You can make crowns dress up.
Link to queen Victoria. Castle and palaces oh the list is endless.

But definitely afternoon tea on the Wednesday

Mouse
07-09-2015, 08:50 PM
This week we're making crowns to mark the Queen record breaking reign!

I've got the Happyland Royal Family toys out we've looked at pictures of the coronation and how the Queen looks now.

FloraDora
07-09-2015, 09:47 PM
I've downloaded a picture of the queen and we are going to add the crown as a collage. Plus one for us to wear.
I have made a little book about The Queen and her role with pictures and it has been looked at loads today.

Dragonfly
08-09-2015, 06:38 AM
You are all so good.

loocyloo
08-09-2015, 08:23 AM
we walked past a picture of the Queen in someones window on our way home from school just now ... ' oooh look, there's a picture of the Queen ' I said ... 'look loocyloo, there's Les, and he's got a new dog. can we say hello?' ... any mention of the queen abandoned and lots of talk about new dogs! I might try again later when we walk past on our to and from school again!

tomorrow my LOs are 14 & 18mths so not really anything I can do with them, but I might read a book about a queen! Thursday - I have 3 boys - 22mth, 2yr, 2 1/2yr ... again - not sure what I can do - apart from read a book, maybe look at a picture and see what happens! they are not into craft/making/dressing up ... prefer tools, balls & cars plus trains! maybe I can have a royal train!

BallyH
08-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Just shown my 3 a picture of the Queen. Ages 3, 3 and 4(waiting to start school next week). They all shook their head and one said 'I don't know who's granny that is'.

Maza
08-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Just shown my 3 a picture of the Queen. Ages 3, 3 and 4(waiting to start school next week). They all shook their head and one said 'I don't know who's granny that is'.

That made me laugh! Children don't really think of people as kings/queens/princesses etc unless they see them actually wearing a crown and the robes or ball gowns etc. They probably think they sit around in them ever day!

Jiorjiina
10-09-2015, 04:30 PM
I have one mindee who can identify the Queen (he learned that when we did Royal Baby things earlier), one who knows what a Queen is in the general sense (crown, jewels, thrones, carriages, etc) but doesn't recognise ours, and one who isn't bothered! (closet republican? Must monitor...)

We watched some of the news video and you tube video of the coronation, looked at a couple of books (The Queens Hat is ace!). We have the Happyland royal family bits, but tbh she mostly gets used as a train passenger or digger driver!

Other than that, I mostly try and stick to things relevant to the mindees. So Christmas, Easter, Chinese New Year (though that one is mostly me), patron saints days. I would rather they had a real understanding of what the festivals mean, than celebrate them for the sake of it.

For the last week though we have been looking at more multicultural things as a couple of mindees have noticed the pictures and news about Syria and Europe, so I've been trying to help them make some sense of that.

mumofone
10-09-2015, 07:07 PM

Haha classic! X

BallyH
10-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Mine also would have the Queen as a digger driver. I managed to get the Happyland baby Prince George in a little pram when it was released. When tidying up this evening I found him on his side stuffed under the Happyland little tent with a little cat for company.