PDA

View Full Version : story sacks?

Jessymax
06-09-2015, 09:32 AM
I have searched on amazon for a lovely story sack but they only seem to sell the sacks with ' golidlocks, 3 little pigs etc on the front but no contents?! im baffled can anyone point me in the direction to buy a completed story sack with props or puppets that isnt stupidly priced?! thanks in advance xx

Simona
06-09-2015, 10:18 AM
I have searched on amazon for a lovely story sack but they only seem to sell the sacks with ' golidlocks, 3 little pigs etc on the front but no contents?! im baffled can anyone point me in the direction to buy a completed story sack with props or puppets that isnt stupidly priced?! thanks in advance xx

Apparently story sacks are available on ebay
If you google 'story sacks' for sale you may get some ideas on cost.
Do you have a toy library near you where you can 'borrow' them?
There are also the Gruffalo, Going on a bear hunt, 3 baby owls and much more available
You could also use the EYPP to buy story sacks

Good luck!

blue bear
06-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I started off with a filled story sack, the contents were a bit diaspointing to be honest. I then bought empty sacks from crafty crocodiles (think about £1 each) printed off pictures off google onto iron on paper and made my own sacks then added contents from car boots etc. this has then developed on to the children taking ownership of the sacks/pots/boxes/baskets (children didn't feel limited to sacks) they choose a story and use the resources we have already got to re enact the story,they have drawn on the sacks with fabric pens themselves, older children and younger children all working together. (We use calico shopping bags and just decorate the back)
It's a popular activity here,choosing a story and finding props. They often see things in shops and ask for them, " look an elephant like in the bad baby story" which I will buy if reasonable

There's a Facebook Paige childminding resources to buy where people often sell on sacks with contents in if pre made is they way you prefer to go.

Jessymax
06-09-2015, 12:32 PM
probably stupid question but whats EYPP?

thanks going on ebay now i think they are a lovely idea to be used daily

Maza
06-09-2015, 12:49 PM
There was a good discussion on story sacks on here a few months ago. If you use the 'search' function you will be able to find it. Do you want a sack or just the contents, or both? I do the concept of 'story sacks' all the time but don't have a single 'sack' if that makes sense. I make up my own and mix and match the contents, so an owl from 'Owl Babies' can also be used for 'The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark', a bear from 'Goldilocks' can be used in 'Can't You Sleep Little Bear' and so on. I find the commercial ones way too expensive and I love putting together my own. Now my 6 year old enjoys putting them together for the little ones.

Simona
06-09-2015, 01:07 PM
probably stupid question but whats EYPP?

thanks going on ebay now i think they are a lovely idea to be used daily

The Early Years Pupil Premium...£300 per year for those eligible children
It can be used anyway to buy resources that support better outcomes and in this case ...the story sacks would be ideal :thumbsup: