PDA

View Full Version : Advice

mumofone
03-09-2015, 01:13 PM
I have a just turned 4 year old mindee who can't write their own name, hold a pencil properly or write any letters. Is this normal? I don't know if they're really behind in this area? Early years outcomes seems to imply maybe they should be able to but the age ranges are so big it's hard to know. Any advice appreciated :-)

Pixie dust
03-09-2015, 01:26 PM
I am guessing that this little one starts school next year so this normal.....you could plan some activities to support pencil control and recognising their own name. children learn all about letter formation in reception so I wouldn't worry.

AliceK
03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
In the past I have had 4yr olds that have been interested in writing their own name and have a good pencil grip and so I have provided them with the resources and helped and encouraged them and they have learnt really quickly. I have also had (and have got 1 now) just turned 4yr olds who have no interest and IMO their pencil grip is not mature enough so although they have lots of opportunity to mark make they are not pushed by me to try and write anything.

xx

moggy
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM
I think the EYO are far too demanding for writing and reading. In other countries, and other education-methods, they are not even trying to get them to write at that age- or even until they are 7!
Keep it fun and remove any preassure to do it. My son went in to reception year very reluctant to read or write and it all fell into place by Y1. More important is to build on motor skills which are the basis of pen-control: play dough, threading beads, pegs, tweezers, lego etc. Fun mark making- like paint, water, sponges, big-scale, water painting on patio/walls, etc etc And build it into your normal play- shopping lists on little clip boards, menus at the play cafe etc. Don't ask him/her to write, just write yourself and have nice writing materials available (fun envelopes with stickers, novelty pencils, glitter pens or whatever s/he might be 'in to'). Read the link below, probably a lot of info in there:

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2011/11/Gateway-to-Writing-crucial-role-of-the-early-years-practitioner.pdf

Is s/he starting school this month? If so, try to talk to the teacher to work together in supporting him/her, or at least they may reassure you that all is OK!

Ellisha
03-09-2015, 01:31 PM
It's normal. There is a massive variation in age on when children learn to write. My 4 yo has been writing her name since just turned 3 and some of her friends who she is starting school with next week have no real interest in writing.

Simona
03-09-2015, 02:44 PM
The development of pencil grasp from 'power grasp to dynamic tripod grasp'

http://www.sensationalkidsot.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Pencil-Grasp-Development.pdf

mumofone
03-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys. Because it's something they can't do I kind of feel pressure to teach them to do it :-(

Lal
03-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Our local primary school has installed a lot of new climbing equipment and bars for the children to hand from by their hands to strengthen the children's hands and fingers.

Activities like cooking esp. mixing, whisking etc all help to strengthen the muscles and improve the co-ordination needed to be able to hold a pencil.

mumofone
03-09-2015, 06:51 PM
The development of pencil grasp from 'power grasp to dynamic tripod grasp' http://www.sensationalkidsot.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Pencil-Grasp-Development.pdf

Thanks Simona :-)

Simona
04-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys. Because it's something they can't do I kind of feel pressure to teach them to do it :-(

That is exactly your role...teach or support or encourage children...whichever word suits you... in any skill that may be developing...as in pencil grasp and writing.

Also check Development Matters and see what Physical Development and Literacy writing suggest you do in the appropriate column

Another good thing to do is ask the parents to check 'What to expect, when'? and check how they are supporting their child to learn to write and hold pencils. and plan together for next steps.

I am sure an inspector will want to see this at inspection.

JCrakers
04-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Ive had children before who are very eager to sit and write their name.

But 1 also had a 4.5yr old mindee who was stubborn from birth...:laughing: She showed no interest in sitting and writing, even the E for the start of her name. Even if the other children were sitting drawing or colouring she wouldn't be interested.

She did love sand though so we drew anticlockwise circles in dry sand I used her interests to incorporate letters. Alphabet magnets on whiteboard, mazes for pencil control which she seemed to like. I made a laminated placemat with her name on so at least she recognised her own name. :thumbsup: