PDA

View Full Version : First progress report?

mumofone
02-09-2015, 11:41 AM
I have a mindee who's been with me for 6 weeks and I was going to update the parents on where I see their current learning for each of the 7 areas of learning. They provided me with their starting points when the child first joined.
I was just going to do this in an email. Is that ok?
Would it then be ok to update parents every 6 months on their progress? They go to school next year...and are currently attending nursery part time.

moggy
02-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Yes, but it does not just have to be an update of your view of their progress-

For the first report- I see it as an opportunity to get the parent's input on how they feel the child has settled, how they are feeling about using my service & going back to work, how the child has developed over the last 6 weeks. I write a summary per Area and suggestions of Next Steps (some big, some small, all quite long term) and this is a big part of supporting their learning at home (hot with Ofsted!) as we can talk about how they do things at home (are they still having a bottle, have they tried a cup? how is the bedtime routine going? etc etc) and suggest ideas etc. I always invite parents in for these reports, we sit for a chat at the end of the day, 20 mins or so.
I do this every term and ask parents to give me input on each Area (only Prime Areas for the little ones) in a 'what I'm doing at home...' kind of format I provide.
The final report goes in the LJ and is on my online system, copy to parents (unless they can access online).

FloraDora
02-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Yes, but it does not just have to be an update of your view of their progress-

For the first report- I see it as an opportunity to get the parent's input on how they feel the child has settled, how they are feeling about using my service & going back to work, how the child has developed over the last 6 weeks. I write a summary per Area and suggestions of Next Steps (some big, some small, all quite long term) and this is a big part of supporting their learning at home (hot with Ofsted!) as we can talk about how they do things at home (are they still having a bottle, have they tried a cup? how is the bedtime routine going? etc etc) and suggest ideas etc. I always invite parents in for these reports, we sit for a chat at the end of the day, 20 mins or so.
I do this every term and ask parents to give me input on each Area (only Prime Areas for the little ones) in a 'what I'm doing at home...' kind of format I provide.
The final report goes in the LJ and is on my online system, copy to parents (unless they can access online).

Like you I include parents. I don't see this summative assessment as something that I do. WE do it together, verbally and via our online system as parents can add their obs and photos too, once we've met and TOGETHER decide Next steps ....I write up the summary. I will send it via online system and email them an attached document.
There is a requirement that we work with parents closely and collaboratively and this is an ideal way to show an area we do this in.

mumofone
16-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Yes, but it does not just have to be an update of your view of their progress- For the first report- I see it as an opportunity to get the parent's input on how they feel the child has settled, how they are feeling about using my service & going back to work, how the child has developed over the last 6 weeks. I write a summary per Area and suggestions of Next Steps (some big, some small, all quite long term) and this is a big part of supporting their learning at home (hot with Ofsted!) as we can talk about how they do things at home (are they still having a bottle, have they tried a cup? how is the bedtime routine going? etc etc) and suggest ideas etc. I always invite parents in for these reports, we sit for a chat at the end of the day, 20 mins or so. I do this every term and ask parents to give me input on each Area (only Prime Areas for the little ones) in a 'what I'm doing at home...' kind of format I provide. The final report goes in the LJ and is on my online system, copy to parents (unless they can access online).

Can I do it less than termly? I have a 4 year old in pre school who will be going to primary school next September, how often would you say I need to be doing it?

moggy
17-09-2015, 07:00 AM
Can I do it less than termly? I have a 4 year old in pre school who will be going to primary school next September, how often would you say I need to be doing it?

6 monthly could be sufficient. You need to decide what is managable for you and the family, you may want to highlight a concern and do more reviews or an earlier review... it is your decision how to do that. Reflect on how you decide that and how you evaluate its sucess in your SEF.

FloraDora
18-09-2015, 07:27 PM
I like to do mine half termly, but I am used to this from my previous life where we monitored progress every half term. I then set next steps with parents, well WE decide next steps, 6 monthly would be too long for me, I like to reflect on my obs, where the child is and how I might have to change, plan, rethink, reorganise to enable the individuals to ensure progress. Some Next steps are longer term but most I would expect to achieve within 6 weeks, or they were not the right next steps to have set. Small steps, achievable goals, a purpose for learning.

loocyloo
18-09-2015, 10:15 PM
I'd love to meet to discuss with my parents every half term, or even termly ... but with 9 EY children, and all of us with busy families there just isn't time. It seems harder as my children are older and their activities keep me busy between 6&8/9 most evenings, not to mention my own activities to keep me sane!
It took me from Feb until July to have a sit down conversation with everyone earlier this year!
I do try and chat every week with my parents and we keep each other updated, but sometimes we are reduced to quick texts!