PDA

View Full Version : Pasta craft ideas

mumofone
27-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Am looking for inspiration of what to do (arts and crafts stuff) with dried or cooked pasta? Any ideas welcomed :-)

FloraDora
27-08-2015, 09:43 PM
I am not happy to use food for play and art. Sticks, crunchy leaves, seed pods , bark, shells, small stones, sand etc..... The list of non food, FREE play alternatives are endless. Nature provides me with all we need for sensory play and art activities.

I spent years handing out food vouchers to families to use the food bank, I can't bring myself to give the message it's ok to waste food in art activities when I know a bag of pasta is top of the list for a food bank.
Once a month we take something to our local food bank, often dried foods like rice and pasta, I don't feel I can then next day stick it on a piece of paper when I've talked about how important it is that everyone gets enough food.

But I know there are endless Pintrest ideas so I suspect not many people feel the same.

mumofone
27-08-2015, 09:45 PM
I am not happy to use food for play and art. Sticks, crunchy leaves, seed pods , bark, shells, small stones, sand etc..... The list of non food, FREE play alternatives are endless. Nature provides me with all we need for sensory play and art activities. I spent years handing out food vouchers to families to use the food bank, I can't bring myself to give the message it's ok to waste food in art activities when I know a bag of pasta is top of the list for a food bank. Once a month we take something to our local food bank, often dried foods like rice and pasta, I don't feel I can then next day stick it on a piece of paper when I've talked about how important it is that everyone gets enough food. But I know there are endless Pintrest ideas so I suspect not mant people feel the same.

You make a very valid point flora. I think it can be easy to get carried away with what is the "done thing" to do with children and we don't always stop and consider things like this.

Simona
28-08-2015, 05:58 AM
I agree about using food for activities at a time when food has become a basic need many cannot afford.
If we have to play with food we can always do a cooking activity where children end up eating it!

Mumofone...using past for activities is not really 'the done thing'....There are so many natural resources we can use we could easily leave pasta out as it usually ends up being stuck on flimsy sugar paper which cannot stand its weight...frustrating to say the least!

Mouse
28-08-2015, 07:22 AM
I don't use cooked/prepared food (cooked pasta, made up jelly etc) for play as I don't think edible food is for playing with, especially as it will be thrown away as soon as play has finished. I remember at my children's nursery they used to fill a builder's tray/tuff spot with fruit & veg for the children to cut up. I used to think that was a complete waste as it all went in the bin afterwards.

I will use dry rice and pasta though. They are a good introduction to messy play for children who don't like getting their hands messy. We often start with dried pasta, then move onto rice, before ending up with sand. We also use them for weighing, measuring, pouring activities. A big bag of pasta or rice is relatively cheap (cheaper than a lot of craft resources) and lasts a long time as it can be reused. I am also happy to use pasta, lentils etc on pictures or in a craft as it produces a finished, lasting result. What I won't do is use food that has one use and is then binned.

I understand the argument that we shouldn't use food for play as some people struggle to have enough to eat, but we could use the same argument about water play - how much of that do we get through in play when there are people who don't even have clean water to drink?

TinyTinker
28-08-2015, 09:03 AM
I use penne - let the children paint each one a different colour - leave to dry and then thread on string or ribbon to make necklaces.

I once went to a messy play session at our children's centre - and was disgusted! They had a tough spot on the floor filled with pasta, cornflakes and raisins! on the floor to allow children to stand in it and crunch the things for texture etc - but as it's for children 0-5 there were children with their outdoor shoes on trampling all over the tray of food - and then crawling babies and toddlers sitting there eating it!:panic: the thought of the stuff on the bottoms of their shoes mixing with the food being eater - YUK! need I say there was also a tray of jelly on the floor - some children squishing it and babies in nappies sitting in it! and others eating it! YUK again, lol. Needless to say I didn't go back:p

FloraDora
28-08-2015, 09:39 AM
I understand the argument that we shouldn't use food for play as some people struggle to have enough to eat, but we could use the same argument about water play - how much of that do we get through in play when there are people who don't even have clean water to drink?

Great point about wasting water too!

We have 8 water butts, all kept clean and fresh, used continuously for my garden - we only use this water in outdoor water play and the children are taught how precious it is and don't 'waste' a lot - at the end of the day they always help me reuse by watering the plants. We were one of the first houses to have a water meter years ago and soon realised how much we wasted so got in to the habit of reusing all water ..for our conscience and cost! We have a syphoning system for bath water and the LO's love helping DH do this. They help us reuse all indoor water too, washing bowl, water bottle remains, vegetable water etc
When they brush their teeth I don't let them run water but they all seem to do this at home.
One of the charities we support is Water Aid too.
The thing about the food waste which brings it home to me is that it isn't just a global problem, it is also round the corner from me, ordinary people, not wasting money on frivolous things, struggling to live. When we supported children in need at school it was always a little awkward talking about where the money went as some of the children I taught where those 'in need'.
Not sure about all the 'sensory experiences' that some think babies need - just crawling around a garden gives them what I think is a good experience of different textures. Collecting crispy leaves and crunching them surely is as good as cornflakes!
Good point too about the message we are sending to the children about that we can 'play' with food.
Food is for eating.

TinyTinker
28-08-2015, 02:49 PM
I'd be interested to go back to a messy play session to see what they do now - as I'm talking about a sessions I went to about 2 years ago!:laughing: wonder if they still use food? I may give it a go when the big ones are back to school. I'll go with an open mind and hope it's changed.

Maza
28-08-2015, 04:26 PM
I've read about messy play sessions like that on here a few times. It is so short sighted, and achieves...what...? My local sure start does a weekly messy play session but it is never silly like that. People really lose sight of what 'sensory' play/learning is all about.

Yes, I agree with the food wastage issue, although I am guilty of letting the children 'play cooking' with uncooked pasta and rice, and to be honest, they love it and play constructively with it (in my opinion). I store it and we use the same packet of rice/pasta many times over the years.

Out of interest on this issue, where do people stand with home made playdough, cornflour and water, salt dough, bicarb and vinegar experiments?

Dragonfly
28-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I heard at a children's centre recently they used porridge think it was mixed with water yuck!

mumofone
28-08-2015, 07:23 PM
I don't use cooked/prepared food (cooked pasta, made up jelly etc) for play as I don't think edible food is for playing with, especially as it will be thrown away as soon as play has finished. I remember at my children's nursery they used to fill a builder's tray/tuff spot with fruit & veg for the children to cut up. I used to think that was a complete waste as it all went in the bin afterwards. I will use dry rice and pasta though. They are a good introduction to messy play for children who don't like getting their hands messy. We often start with dried pasta, then move onto rice, before ending up with sand. We also use them for weighing, measuring, pouring activities. A big bag of pasta or rice is relatively cheap (cheaper than a lot of craft resources) and lasts a long time as it can be reused. I am also happy to use pasta, lentils etc on pictures or in a craft as it produces a finished, lasting result. What I won't do is use food that has one use and is then binned. I understand the argument that we shouldn't use food for play as some people struggle to have enough to eat, but we could use the same argument about water play - how much of that do we get through in play when there are people who don't even have clean water to drink?

I have a fairly new sand and water table and when I first came to having replace the water I couldn't bring myself to do it as it seemed so wasteful! We're on a water meter so I'm very aware of how much we use. My partner then reminded me of our water butt and the fact it was free rain water so we started to use that and now I feel much better haha!!!

mumofone
28-08-2015, 07:25 PM
I use penne - let the children paint each one a different colour - leave to dry and then thread on string or ribbon to make necklaces. I once went to a messy play session at our children's centre - and was disgusted! They had a tough spot on the floor filled with pasta, cornflakes and raisins! on the floor to allow children to stand in it and crunch the things for texture etc - but as it's for children 0-5 there were children with their outdoor shoes on trampling all over the tray of food - and then crawling babies and toddlers sitting there eating it!:panic: the thought of the stuff on the bottoms of their shoes mixing with the food being eater - YUK! need I say there was also a tray of jelly on the floor - some children squishing it and babies in nappies sitting in it! and others eating it! YUK again, lol. Needless to say I didn't go back:p

Lol I could never bring myself to go to one but I can imagine that's just what they're like!!

mumofone
28-08-2015, 07:28 PM
I've read about messy play sessions like that on here a few times. It is so short sighted, and achieves...what...? My local sure start does a weekly messy play session but it is never silly like that. People really lose sight of what 'sensory' play/learning is all about. Yes, I agree with the food wastage issue, although I am guilty of letting the children 'play cooking' with uncooked pasta and rice, and to be honest, they love it and play constructively with it (in my opinion). I store it and we use the same packet of rice/pasta many times over the years. Out of interest on this issue, where do people stand with home made playdough, cornflour and water, salt dough, bicarb and vinegar experiments?

Good point, I make playdough but haven't considered it being wasteful, it can last Really well if you keep it in an airtight container or bag.

As for cornflour and water I did this for the first time the other day and must have got the quantities wrong because it was just like regular liquid so it pretty much got poured down the sink shortly after which is wasteful but somehow didn't feel as bad as wasting pasta (rubbish argument I know!!) :-)

alex__17
28-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Naïve question here but I hate water waste but my own son especially is obsessed with it and would have the hose on all day filling buckets and water tables etc if I let him (which I don't!).
With a water butt don't you get mosquito larvae in it? Our paddling pool only has to be out more than a day or two and it has loads in...turns my stomach to see them but I can't bring myself to empty the paddling pool after just a day of it being filled and it rarely gets filled as a result, same with water table.
Does water butt water stay larvae free being covered? I'd look at getting one if I could use water in the table etc

Mouse
28-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Naïve question here but I hate water waste but my own son especially is obsessed with it and would have the hose on all day filling buckets and water tables etc if I let him (which I don't!).
With a water butt don't you get mosquito larvae in it? Our paddling pool only has to be out more than a day or two and it has loads in...turns my stomach to see them but I can't bring myself to empty the paddling pool after just a day of it being filled and it rarely gets filled as a result, same with water table.
Does water butt water stay larvae free being covered? I'd look at getting one if I could use water in the table etc

Our water butt has got a lid and we just collect water from the gutter. I only use the water for watering the plants and wouldn't use it for the children to play in.

alex__17
28-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Ah ok maybe I missed the point there, reading through and perhaps not paying attention I thought it was possible to use it for play, thanks for clarifying!

mumofone
28-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Ah ok maybe I missed the point there, reading through and perhaps not paying attention I thought it was possible to use it for play, thanks for clarifying!

I use mine for the water part of the sand and water tray (where children put their hands in) but probably wouldn't use it for a paddling pool (where whole bodies go in) but I'm not sure there's any logic to that! X

FloraDora
28-08-2015, 11:23 PM
If using collected rainwater you need to complete a RA.
The HSE website has lots of info.

My RA is that : I thoroughly clean the Waterbutt that the children use every half term.
The water butt is covered and painted on the outside to keep it cool.
It is positioned in a cool area of the garden which never gets direct sunshine.
We have a liitle gravel filter system on the down pipe to ensure debris doesn't fall in.
The temperature never goes above 20C - if it did we wouldn't use it.
We take the temp twice a week, more if it's warm.
We use a non toxic water butt treatment as recomended by HSE which keeps it slime and algae free.
The children do not drink it.
The children wash their hands after play.
(The water butt water is generally played with using containers, so they don't swish their hands around in it - but they do get it on their hands as they spill it. )
It usually gets used and emptied within two days of filling, but we make sure we empty it by watering the garden with the water if it hasn't emptied after 3 days.
( it's a good way too of encouraging a variety of play - once the water butt is empty they know the have to wait for it to rain to fill again so they play with other resources until it does - unless I use tap water)

The 'grey water' - bath, sink bowl, veg water - is never played with.

Loads of precautions, but you can't take risks.

mumofone
29-08-2015, 06:29 AM
If using collected rainwater you need to complete a RA. The HSE website has lots of info. My RA is that : I thoroughly clean the Waterbutt that the children use every half term. The water butt is covered and painted on the outside to keep it cool. It is positioned in a cool area of the garden which never gets direct sunshine. We have a liitle gravel filter system on the down pipe to ensure debris doesn't fall in. The temperature never goes above 20C - if it did we wouldn't use it. We take the temp twice a week, more if it's warm. We use a non toxic water butt treatment as recomended by HSE which keeps it slime and algae free. The children do not drink it. The children wash their hands after play. (The water butt water is generally played with using containers, so they don't swish their hands around in it - but they do get it on their hands as they spill it. ) It usually gets used and emptied within two days of filling, but we make sure we empty it by watering the garden with the water if it hasn't emptied after 3 days. ( it's a good way too of encouraging a variety of play - once the water butt is empty they know the have to wait for it to rain to fill again so they play with other resources until it does - unless I use tap water) The 'grey water' - bath, sink bowl, veg water - is never played with. Loads of precautions, but you can't take risks.

I hadn't considered this, thanks flora :-)

FussyElmo
29-08-2015, 07:08 AM
Out of interest on this issue, where do people stand with home made playdough, cornflour and water, salt dough, bicarb and vinegar experiments?

I make it all the time :thumbsup:

I see it no different in buying the ingredients to make it as buying the stuff made up.

Maza
29-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Woe Floradora, that's amazing. You deserve a medal for all the effort you put into providing environmentally friendly/safe water play. You put me to shame. I always think that I'm not too bad but then I visit my brother and his wife who are very environmentally friendly (or read posts like this) and I always come away realising that I need to do more.

FloraDora
29-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Woe Floradora, that's amazing. You deserve a medal for all the effort you put into providing environmentally friendly/safe water play. You put me to shame. I always think that I'm not too bad but then I visit my brother and his wife who are very environmentally friendly (or read posts like this) and I always come away realising that I need to do more.

I suspect it is easier to reuse the sink water when you live in a house Maza and just need to step outside the kitchen door!!! If I lived in an apartment I suspect I would not be as Eco friendly as I am! When I stay with either son, both live in apartments, I water all the balcony plants with the water I have used but since in one , the sink is in the living room, even DS hates me leaving the dishwater in the bowl to use on the plants when it is cooled !
It's also more difficult to store recycling too, but they both have a reasonable system of collecting at the front door so that every time they leave the apartment they take something to recycle with them.

Maza
29-08-2015, 02:39 PM
I suspect it is easier to reuse the sink water when you live in a house Maza and just need to step outside the kitchen door!!! If I lived in an apartment I suspect I would not be as Eco friendly as I am! When I stay with either son, both live in apartments, I water all the balcony plants with the water I have used but since in one , the sink is in the living room, even DS hates me leaving the dishwater in the bowl to use on the plants when it is cooled !
It's also more difficult to store recycling too, but they both have a reasonable system of collecting at the front door so that every time they leave the apartment they take something to recycle with them.

(Meant to say 'wow', not 'woe', lol!) Yes, you've got a point actually! Recycling is easy for us as we have two smaller bins built into one of our kitchen cupboards, so out of sight out of mind. Composting is a bit more of a pain though as I don't always want veg peelings hanging around until I can be bothered traipsing downstairs and round the back of the building, double locking two sets of doors to get to the compost bin. There's always more that most people can be doing though and it is good to reflect. Mmmm, I sense a project/challenge coming up in our house. :)