PDA

View Full Version : School ready poster - can anyone help?

Mouse
27-08-2015, 01:08 PM
I'm looking for a school ready poster that I've seen somewhere.

It's like a path that you can follow.

I've tried googling it, but can't see that particular one.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TinyTinker
27-08-2015, 02:55 PM
http://nurseryresources.ontraport.net/c/s/vBY/C5r/6/zw/zcI/67U7iV/stQEcsFIqB

not sure if this will work as it's a link from an email from nursery resources - should come up with a box saying to open or save with.....(whatever program you want etc).

Mouse
27-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Brilliant, thank you!

TinyTinker
28-08-2015, 09:04 AM
ooo did it work :0 good if it did :)

loocyloo
28-08-2015, 05:07 PM
That's great, I've never seen it before. Thanks x

Smiley
28-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks from me too, also not seen it before

Mouse
28-08-2015, 08:20 PM
I think I probably saw it in an email from Nursery Resources (I use their attendance register).

I've got 4 mindees who will be going to school in Sept 2016, so they'll be on their final year with me. They all go to pre-school or nursery and will only be coming to me one day a week. I'm doing scrapbooks with them for the year and thought the poster would be good to put in the front to show what we're working towards.

mumofone
28-08-2015, 08:33 PM
I think I probably saw it in an email from Nursery Resources (I use their attendance register). I've got 4 mindees who will be going to school in Sept 2016, so they'll be on their final year with me. They all go to pre-school or nursery and will only be coming to me one day a week. I'm doing scrapbooks with them for the year and thought the poster would be good to put in the front to show what we're working towards.

Is it something you would share with parents directly so they are on board with what's considered "school ready"?

Mouse
28-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Is it something you would share with parents directly so they are on board with what's considered "school ready"?

Yes, definitely. Many parents think "school ready" means being able to read, write and do sums. It's good to let them know that it's more about children being able to get themselves dressed, open their packed lunch, manage to go to the toilet themselves etc.

mumofone
28-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Yes, definitely. Many parents think "school ready" means being able to read, write and do sums. It's good to let them know that it's more about children being able to get themselves dressed, open their packed lunch, manage to go to the toilet themselves etc.

Thanks mouse, sorry i should have elaborated, I have a preschool child who will start school next year so wondered about sending it to the child's parents but concerned (even though I love the poster) they might think a bit insulting and patronising...or am I missing the point of my job?! What do you all think?

Simona
28-08-2015, 08:50 PM

This is a subject that causes many different reactions.
I agree with you that school ready is not about doing sums or reading.....but can we really expect children to be school ready at 3 or even 4? Let alone 2?
If the legal school age is 5 and a quarter why are we jumping through hoops to get children ready so much earlier?
Emotionally they cannot be ready for formal schooling at such young age.

We all started by being against ' schoolification' but we seem to comply with this now...at what cost to the children?

Mouse
28-08-2015, 09:13 PM
This is a subject that causes many different reactions.
I agree with you that school ready is not about doing sums or reading.....but can we really expect children to be school ready at 3 or even 4? Let alone 2?
If the legal school age is 5 and a quarter why are we jumping through hoops to get children ready so much earlier?
Emotionally they cannot be ready for formal schooling at such young age.

We all started by being against ' schoolification' but we seem to comply with this now...at what cost to the children?

I am talking about children who are 4 and don't see a problem with expecting them to be able to use a knife and fork at that age. I would encourage that whether or not they were going to school. Neither do I see a problem with encouraging them to sit still and listen to a story, or to put their own coat on. I think we all do that as a natural progression in their development, not specifically because we're getting them ready for school.

Although the legal age for children going to school is over 5, it's a parent's choice when to send them. If they decide to send them to reception class, I will do what I can to make sure they are as ready as they can be. Surely we would be failing in our duty to the children if we didn't do what we could to make the whole process as easy for them as possible?

mumofone
28-08-2015, 09:14 PM
This is a subject that causes many different reactions. I agree with you that school ready is not about doing sums or reading.....but can we really expect children to be school ready at 3 or even 4? Let alone 2? If the legal school age is 5 and a quarter why are we jumping through hoops to get children ready so much earlier? Emotionally they cannot be ready for formal schooling at such young age. We all started by being against ' schoolification' but we seem to comply with this now...at what cost to the children?

Hi Simona, i think we were both actually talking in relation to kids who are starting school next year :-)

Mouse
28-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks mouse, sorry i should have elaborated, I have a preschool child who will start school next year so wondered about sending it to the child's parents but concerned (even though I love the poster) they might think a bit insulting and patronising...or am I missing the point of my job?! What do you all think?

I'm using it as a tracker for the child's year before school. It's much more parent friendly than printed out Development Matters or whatever. I think it depends how you present it. I make sure it's done as a positive thing so parents are on board with it. It's not really any different to presenting them with 'next steps' ideas.

Simona
28-08-2015, 10:10 PM
I am talking about children who are 4 and don't see a problem with expecting them to be able to use a knife and fork at that age. I would encourage that whether or not they were going to school. Neither do I see a problem with encouraging them to sit still and listen to a story, or to put their own coat on. I think we all do that as a natural progression in their development, not specifically because we're getting them ready for school.

Although the legal age for children going to school is over 5, it's a parent's choice when to send them. If they decide to send them to reception class, I will do what I can to make sure they are as ready as they can be. Surely we would be failing in our duty to the children if we didn't do what we could to make the whole process as easy for them as possible?

I think you misunderstood my argument Mouse
I am not talking about putting coats on and ability to sit still...it is the ability to adapt to a very inflexible school environment at age 3 or even 4 in a class of 30 and about emotional intelligence

Mumofone....I know what you are talking about...children starting school .
Some do at a ge 3 others at 4...it is still starting school at an inappropriate age which causes concerns to all inclusding parents , judging by a recent research by one of the representing associations which has been very well publicised this
week

FussyElmo
29-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks Mouse for the question and TinyTinker for finding the poster.

I like that and will be adding it to one of my mindees folder after Christmas :thumbsup:

mumofone
29-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Would it be relevant to pop it in a LJ?

FussyElmo
29-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Would it be relevant to pop it in a LJ?

Lj. scrapbook whichever format you use.

it could go in a number of places your planning folder, send a copy home to show parents what you are working on :thumbsup: