PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to be an 'early implementer' of the 30-hours funding?

moggy
26-08-2015, 02:06 PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a-year-until-first-working-parents-receive-doubled-free-childcare

Looks like it is full steam ahead...will any childminders go for the opportunity to be an 'early implementer' and help to shape the new system? Interesting times... No mention of the crucial issue of how much £ we'd get per hour, so fundamental to whether we can offer it or not.

It does not favour CMers getting involved at this stage as I guess you'd need to have children of the right age at the right time- easier for a nursery, I couldn't say if I would or not... I hope that does not reduce the number of CMers trialling this as we need to get across the issues we face with this.

FloraDora
26-08-2015, 02:19 PM
I have just received an email directing me to this.....I am thinking about it...
It says it's worth £5,000 to parents so divide by 38 and then by 30 and it gives you a figure of £4.38 an hour - but will Counties take some of this?
I would quite like to offer myself if they give me all the money and not go via anyone ...a bit like an acadamy - I could be an Acadamy childminder!
My parents would certainly be interested ...I can't work out if you just register your interest or have to say how you would use the funding when you register your interest...will need to read it again!

I have nothing against the government funding 30 hours childcare...just that we do not get all the funding and £4.38 doesn't go very far in some areas.

moggy
26-08-2015, 02:33 PM
I have just received an email directing me to this.....I am thinking about it...
It says it's worth £5,000 to parents so divide by 38 and then by 30 and it gives you a figure of £4.38 an hour - but will Counties take some of this?
I would quite like to offer myself if they give me all the money and not go via anyone ...a bit like an acadamy - I could be an Acadamy childminder!
My parents would certainly be interested ...I can't work out if you just register your interest or have to say how you would use the funding when you register your interest...will need to read it again!

I have nothing against the government funding 30 hours childcare...just that we do not get all the funding and £4.38 doesn't go very far in some areas.

I think it is registering to be part of the trial run-out of the scheme, to work with your LA I suppose (so they need LAs who are willing to do the trial + settings in those LAs). And I hope to give feedback and input to how it is working. Would be great for someone to do and keep us all involved via the Forum.

Mouse
26-08-2015, 03:25 PM
This is the only info I can find that gives any sort of explanation

"Early Implementers for the 30 hours free childcare offer for 3 and 4 year olds can now register their interest with the DfE. While the free childcare expansion will be rolled out nationally in 2017, trials in some areas will begin in September 2016.

Organisations who would like to register their interest can do so by emailing DfE at early.implementers@education.gsi.gov.uk by Monday 28th September. All you have to do now is to email saying ‘I’d like to be an early implementer’ and they will email you details on how to apply shortly."

Simona
26-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Well this news has been received with some scepticism as the 30 hours is due in 2017 but brought forward for some in 2016...without consultation with the sector or waiting for the funding review to be announced.
Who would want to trial this without knowing how much the funding will be?....some will I am sure.

This has been in the news all day...NDNA, PLA and many more have all been giving their ideas and thoughts on TV.
DfE is running some sort of discussion with parents on Facebook and also on twitter using #30hourschildcare

Not sure how the DfE can say it is worth £5000 to parents if we still don't have a reviewed figure for funding
The £4.38 is the figure DfE has arrived before we were asked to do the funding review...look at PLA own research to bust that figure!

All you have to do is email... which is given in the DfE announcement

This survey by the DfE for parents has been out a while
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/D8VC5CD

Read more on this

Government urges childcare providers to be the first to deliver 30 free hours childcare scheme (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1570798/Department-for-Education-invites-childcare-providers)

Ministers reaffirm 30-hour childcare pledge, but funding crisis looms | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1153362/ministers-reaffirm-30-hour-childcare-pledge-but-funding-crisis-looms?utm_content=&utm_campaign=26.08.15%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnur sery-world%2Fnews%2F1153362%2Fministers-reaffirm-30-hour-childcare-pledge-but-funding-crisis-looms)

hectors house
26-08-2015, 03:58 PM
I have replied saying I would like to register to be an "early implementer" PROVIDING the rate for 3 & 4 year olds in Somerset isn't lower than the current rate. The current rate is 7p an hour more than my hourly rate, I am only interested in doing it to help my current families as I haven't any spaces to take on new children.

Simona
26-08-2015, 04:27 PM
I don't think you just have to deliver 30 hours...you also have to come up with innovative and flexible way to deliver the hours...so basically give the govt ideas!
My understanding The Implementers will get £4.30...maybe I am wrong?

This is from Gyimah himself:
Calling on providers/Councils to be early implementers & step up with innovative ways of delivering our childcare pledge

There is also a mistake in the funding quoted for 2 year olds in the DfEannouncement...it says £2500 which is 570 hrs at £4.30
In my LA we get £6.20 = £3534
Someone has not done the sums!!

Reminds me of when the DfE asked cms to give them 'ideas' of what we needed from Cms agencies!! wicked I know!

Good luck to those willing to be Implementers!...keep us posted.