PDA

View Full Version : Winter inspections

mumofone
25-08-2015, 12:28 PM
I've seen so many reports from inspections conducted between November - February when the weather is probably dire and the area for improvement is always "improve outdoor area so children who learn better outdoors can"...or words to that effect!! If you have an inspection during winter what can you realistically set up or do in the garden?

moggy
25-08-2015, 12:34 PM
It is being discussed here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/ofsted-inspection-tips/136572-inspection-heavy-rain-forecast.html at the moment! See it as an opportunity, make sure you all have right clothes to hand (for yourself too!), give the children the choice and have lots of evidence of when you do play outside in case children don't want to go out.

FloraDora
25-08-2015, 02:45 PM
I was inspected in January.
It didn't matter that it was cold and damp to the children....or the inspector, though I was a little bit cold as I had left my fleece upstairs and didn't want to dash to get it so just donned my big cardi that was available!

My outdoor environment has all year round resources and activities so the children went outside, after talking about what they needed to wear today.....( this was when I should have fetched my fleece, but stress of the day kicked in ) and just played as they usually did.
The key is to have an enabling outdoor environment and the children always have suitable clothes. I provide a puddle suit, have spare hats and gloves and mitts, the parents provide wellies and warm spare clothes that they leave here. We wear the puddle suits all year round as it helps to protect their clothes too.

My all weather outdoor environment : Outdoor kitchens, natural resources, bird feeders, natural musical areas, ramps, small world areas - we have a dinosaur land and fairy garden, always needs sorting or adding to with stones etc.. Digging area, bird feeders - the first thing they do on going out is to check the bird feeders and fill them up..they did this when Inspector was here , she could see this and the other play they chose was an everyday activity, not something set up for her visit.
I didn't get anything out the shed , the children got out the digging tools, wind ribbons and windmills, some cars for the ramps and balls aswell as the bird food - from the small greenhouse we have where we store equipt in the winter and use for the Childrens seeds in Spring - they fetched a wheelbarrow from its parking spot behind the shed and tipped some seed into it, wheeled it up to the bird feeding station and then asked me to help get the feeder down, I was actually talking to the inspector about my outside area and letting the children play....I then took this opportunity to count, talk about capacity etc... As they filled. I had planned a nature 'what can you find 'where they found what was on the picture in the garden and talked about prepositions( a LO's next steps) and some windy weather activities, but I didn't use them in the end as the children instigated their own play ( stone soup was made- from a book we had read the previous week) and I just acted as facilitator.
Some good rainy day activities being discussed in the other thread too!

Simona
26-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Isn't there a saying that goes...'there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing'

Being inspected in winter has the same concerns as being inspected during very hot weather...both present pros and cons

Has anyone ever seen the 'supposed free flow' play in larger settings where the doors are constantly open regardless of temperatures outside or rain and snow? and the result...worth observing!

FloraDora
26-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Isn't there a saying that goes...'there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing'

Being inspected in winter has the same concerns as being inspected during very hot weather...both present pros and cons

Has anyone ever seen the 'supposed free flow' play in larger settings where the doors are constantly open regardless of temperatures outside or rain and snow? and the result...worth observing!

I had a series of plastic strips at our nursery doors- great for keeping out draughts but some of the children hated going through them!
Not sure what you are implying Simona? Good or not so good? I always had a freeflow - unless extreme weather, snow would definately cause the door to be closed but the children still went out. The good thing about nurseries is that you can make sure you have the staff to supervise - like another room and you usually have a large area you can develop. This means that if a child wanted to take his play outdoors they could and their friend could stay inside.

In my setting it is generally all in or out, but I do have one LO who I am happy to be inside when I am out as I know the reading corner is a favourite place - no amount of book areas outside will replace cuddling in on the sofa for her! I can see her if I position myself well and as long as she is getting a balance then it's also ok I think to freeflow indoors! We have just decorated our dining room which always involves changing furniture around and I am going to spend next week making a cushiony thing( a bit like the baby nests you see) that she might like to cuddle in to when she reads with left over fabric. My patio doors go from the dining room and I have a better view of that area from all of the garden.

I think freeflow to outdoors is losing its importance over an enabling environment and a well designed outdoor play area or experiences in parks etc.. if you haven't got a garden. Realistically, energy savings and costs, supervision etc..mean it is often not viable - It's the quality that is important, children can pop in and out to their heart's content but if the environment is not enhancing their experiences then they do not learn.....in my opinion a load of little Tykes play ons and climb ups in a bare artificial lawned area or patio, with little natural world to experience and explore will not enable Characteristics of Learning development either in a nursery or childminder setting.

Simona
26-08-2015, 09:15 AM
I had a series of plastic strips at our nursery doors- great for keeping out draughts but some of the children hated going through them!
Not sure what you are implying Simona? Good or not so good? I always had a freeflow - unless extreme weather, snow would definately cause the door to be closed but the children still went out. The good thing about nurseries is that you can make sure you have the staff to supervise - like another room and you usually have a large area you can develop. This means that if a child wanted to take his play outdoors they could and their friend could stay inside.

In my setting it is generally all in or out, but I do have one LO who I am happy to be inside when I am out as I know the reading corner is a favourite place - no amount of book areas outside will replace cuddling in on the sofa for her! I can see her if I position myself well and as long as she is getting a balance then it's also ok I think to freeflow indoors! We have just decorated our dining room which always involves changing furniture around and I am going to spend next week making a cushiony thing( a bit like the baby nests you see) that she might like to cuddle in to when she reads with left over fabric. My patio doors go from the dining room and I have a better view of that area from all of the garden.

I think freeflow to outdoors is losing its importance over an enabling environment and a well designed outdoor play area or experiences in parks etc.. if you haven't got a garden. Realistically, energy savings and costs, supervision etc..mean it is often not viable - It's the quality that is important, children can pop in and out to their heart's content but if the environment is not enhancing their experiences then they do not learn.....in my opinion a load of little Tykes play ons and climb ups in a bare artificial lawned area or patio, with little natural world to experience and explore will not enable Characteristics of Learning development either in a nursery or childminder setting.

it can be good and not so good....depends on the interpretation of free flow.
I see free flow as an extension of the indoor environment...both can be very enabling

TinyTinker
28-08-2015, 07:34 PM
I was intending to make a covered outdoor space this summer - so that we can go out in the rain etc and still be outside but undercover - but due to lack of new business we didn't have the budget - so are now looking forward to another winter where outdoor play is wet play! oh well we have all in one rain suits for the littlies and coats and leggings for the bigger ones! hope ofsted bring their waterproofs and brolly!

FussyElmo
29-08-2015, 07:53 AM

I did a course a few back on outside play. the trainer kept telling us this and had insisted we all went in decent boots waterproofs as some of the the day would be outside.

As we were heading out the heaven opens (mini monsoon) and gale force winds and apparently there is such a thing as bad weather.

Luckily she found it funny but it still makes me giggle when I hear the phase :D

TinyTinker
29-08-2015, 08:38 AM
puddle suits and wellies! some kids will happily go out and pay and splash about and not care it's raining, while others are horrified at the prospect! luckily our setting allows those who want to stay dry to play in the playroom, while others are outside, both can be supervised together as playroom is a conservatory leading to the garden :) I don't think you can force outdoor play everyday if the child isn't happy

Maza
29-08-2015, 09:47 AM
puddle suits and wellies! some kids will happily go out and pay and splash about and not care it's raining, while others are horrified at the prospect! luckily our setting allows those who want to stay dry to play in the playroom, while others are outside, both can be supervised together as playroom is a conservatory leading to the garden :) I don't think you can force outdoor play everyday if the child isn't happy

That is a very important point you made - about not being able to force outdoor play. I have always been a fan of promoting outdoor play but then when my DD started nursery at 3, going on 4, she wouldn't use their outdoor play area at all. It was an amazing space with fabulous learning opportunities set up on a daily basis - the best I have ever seen - so I was disappointed, but it was an eye opener for me. She loved playing outdoors at home. My interpretation of it was that she felt 'safer' indoors as she could see a member of staff close by at all times (big separation anxiety) and the other children were quieter, physically slower and more predictable inside. The staff worked on it and she progressed to going outside when her key worker was on duty outside, but she would want to hold her key worker's hand all the time. They encouraged her to then play close by to the member of staff, which she did but would keep looking up to check that the teacher was still there. One day in February it snowed and DD was out there like a shot and stayed out for as long as she could. There were so many photos on her LJ of that big wow moment!

Gone off the point a bit as it clearly wasn't 'bad weather' keeping my DD inside, but it is important to remember other challenges of outdoor play (for some children), alongside the many. many benefits. She's fine now by the way and loves playtimes at school.

bunyip
29-08-2015, 12:37 PM
I've seen so many reports from inspections conducted between November - February when the weather is probably dire and the area for improvement is always "improve outdoor area so children who learn better outdoors can"...or words to that effect!! If you have an inspection during winter what can you realistically set up or do in the garden?

Personally, I'd be tempted to take the lo's out sledging for the duration.

Given that inspectres drive everywhere and probably don't bother to bring a coat, I'd have the deepest pleasure in watching her freeze her t1t5 off. :D

bunyip
30-08-2015, 05:31 PM
I'd be genuinely interested to know if whether inspection outcomes tned to rise and fall according to the time of year. I can't help feeling that a winter inspection could be disadvantageous, either becuase of weather conditions, nothing growing in the garden, or the 'seasonal affective disorder' making the inspector grumpy. :(

FloraDora
30-08-2015, 06:26 PM
I'd be genuinely interested to know if whether inspection outcomes tned to rise and fall according to the time of year. I can't help feeling that a winter inspection could be disadvantageous, either becuase of weather conditions, nothing growing in the garden, or the 'seasonal affective disorder' making the inspector grumpy. :(

Mine was as happy as a lark in cold January, came with warm clothes and stayed and played with us all the time we were out.
I know what you mean about garden though, I had a slideshow on the Tv all the time she sat doing paperwork and I highlighted and talked about all the growing, gardening and nature stuff we do. I also pointed things out in the garden and she talked to the older child about what she did in the garden - luckily she loves everything and could chatter away enthusiastically about it.
The LO's picked brussel sprouts for my tea and one gave her a bagful to take home ( unprompted my me, she had filled a bag for herself to take home and gave it to the inspector, then filled another for herself!)

Maza
30-08-2015, 07:09 PM

It was snowing when I had mine and there was thick snow everywhere. The inspector had brought her moonboots though and was well prepared! She trudged around my garden looking for ivy and kept mentioning how she loved the crunching sound of footsteps in fresh snow. We had got rid of a load of ivy and luckily the snow had covered up any other poisonous plants that we might have (I know you put forward an excellent answer on poisonous plants Bunyip, but at the time I hadn't been blessed with the common sense approach and was a bit nervous as I didn't know the name/status of every plant in my garden) and so the snow kind of helped me!

Having said that, snow is 'easy' in terms of bad weather. I would have hated thunder/lightening or gale forced wind during an inspection as that probably would have stopped us going out and therefore I would not been able to have that box ticked.

mumofone
30-08-2015, 07:37 PM
It was snowing when I had mine and there was thick snow everywhere. The inspector had brought her moonboots though and was well prepared! She trudged around my garden looking for ivy and kept mentioning how she loved the crunching sound of footsteps in fresh snow. We had got rid of a load of ivy and luckily the snow had covered up any other poisonous plants that we might have (I know you put forward an excellent answer on poisonous plants Bunyip, but at the time I hadn't been blessed with the common sense approach and was a bit nervous as I didn't know the name/status of every plant in my garden) and so the snow kind of helped me! Having said that, snow is 'easy' in terms of bad weather. I would have hated thunder/lightening or gale forced wind during an inspection as that probably would have stopped us going out and therefore I would not been able to have that box ticked.

Lol why was she looking for ivy?!

blue bear
30-08-2015, 09:24 PM
I always seem to have Mine in winter, last was a January inspection, when the inspector rang I warned her that my crew loved being outside whatever the weather and to bring appropriate clothing. She came in her best thermals, wooly socks and big jumper and the children for the only time I remember decided to play inside that day! Poor inspector she was roasting. :blush:

mumofone
31-08-2015, 06:10 AM
I've been convinced my inspection would be this coming winter but realise I've been stuck on being inspected within 7 months of registering when they've actually changed it to within 30 months (taken a while for the penny to drop!!). This just seems crazy to me, I could be working badly or incorrectly and children suffering (not literally) and I don't find out until up to 30 months. Crazy.

bunyip
31-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Lol why was she looking for ivy?!

It boils down to yet another example of how inspection is based on irrational, unscientific ideas: in this case, risk in relation to botany.

Inspectres divide the plant world into 2 categories:-

Those which are "safe".
Those which are poisonous (but only where present in a CM's garden)

As a point of reference, The RHS's guide is useful: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=524

The average inspectre's categorisation is bad science.

Many plants perceived as 'safe' are not wholly so. Frinstance, the only edible part of the potato plant is the tuber: the rest of the plant is potentially harmful. Some plants change from 'safe' to 'harmful' through their life cycle: spring/summer asparagus spears are a staple foodstuff of the bourgeoisie, such that Waitrose place asparagus cuppa-soup within their "Essential" range; but when you leave the shoots to develop into 5 foot high ferns, themselves a skin irritant, they produce poisonous little fruits. Other edible plants may be harmful to some people: figs irritate the eyes and skin of some people, but not everyone.

Humankind has identified those plants which it is useful to eat, then chosen to eat a tiny proportion of that range, based on the efficiency of production in relation to the nutrition benefit, flavour preferences, etc. Even this changes over time: within the last 200 years the use of runner beans transformed from purely decorative garden flower to allotment foodstuff. So a big chunk of the plant world might be in a garden because it is nice to look at (or invasive and difficult to keep out) but is neither dangerous nor nice to eat.

In summary there are plants which are beneficial to eat; those which are potentially harmful to eat/touch (in part, in whole or at some time during their cycle); and a whole load of 'mostly harmless' (they won't do significant harm, but you'd not want them in your mouth) ones in between. Very few of the 'harmful' ones will do serious harm: you wouldn't want to be stung by a nettle, but neither would you rush to hospital with a nettle sting, though you could avenge yourself by eating the plant. ;)

I make the point that inspectres only consider plants to be poisonous in a CM's garden. That's me being naughty again. More accurately, I assert that inspectres are disproportionately concerned about the presence of 'harmful' plants in a CM's garden, whilst ignoring them in other environments the children may visit. Individual CMs will approach this as they will, but to my mind it is entirely unreasonable to expect anyone to rip out half their garden plants on the grounds of 'risk management' then walk the children through the countryside or a park which contains even more potentially harmful species. Yet some Ofsted inspectres are on record as criticising the flora of some CM's gardens, but wouldn't dream of insisting the children are only allowed in parks and public footpaths which are similarly stripped bare of potentially harmful plants.

Hence, my reasoning that risk management should not be based on the principle of defoliating CMs' garden, but instead on the twin use of supervision and behavioural boundaries.

FloraDora
31-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Intersting points Bunyip..

Since inspections really took hold in 1992 I have had the pleasure of being inspected 9 times in a school seytting, including nurseries- on none of these occasions has an inspector investigated my outside areas for plants that are deemed 'poisonous'.
Yet...on the one inspection I have had as a CM the subject was mentioned.... To do with a spiky bush. ( We had a hedge of wild roses in one school) I asked the children in her query of whether that bush should be there ..."what do we do if we see a spiky plant?" " we don't touch it" was the unison response...in voices of credilation that I should ask such a silly question. The Inspector smiled. I highlighted precisely your point of that I spend most days also in the nature reserve...children have to learn to recognise plants that might cause them harm in any way and learn how to avoid them...it's a life skill in my opinion. Where better to start than in the garden? Of course if I had a crawler, a young child who couldn't yet be taught these dangers then I would corner of with some sort of barricade to ensure they didn't get pricked. ( one child has pricked themselves on this bush...and never went near it again!... No harm done, but a lesson learnt) the inspector didn't mention it again, in fact changed the subject, showing me that I was ok, but she wasn't prepared to enter into a debate about it.
Ivy is an interesting one as I drape my mantle shelf in ivy and holly at Christmas!! Until I get a really tall early years child I should be ok I think!....but then......I might have to do a RA on ensuring it doesn't fall off ( It hasn't in 40 years!) .

Maza
31-08-2015, 11:29 AM
On that point Floradora, I have also had far too many Ofsted inspections in schools and NOT ONCE was I asked how I work with child minders. I bet every single child minder has been asked how they work with schools/pre schools...

loocyloo
31-08-2015, 04:49 PM
On that point Floradora, I have also had far too many Ofsted inspections in schools and NOT ONCE was I asked how I work with child minders. I bet every single child minder has been asked how they work with schools/pre schools...

Arghhhhhh ! My friend teaches reception, she mentioned how she shares info with the childminder who collects from her class everyday ... inspector smiled blankly and changed the subject!