PDA

View Full Version : PSED books, any suggestions?

Bundle
24-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Does anyone have any good books about emotions for using with one and two year olds please? I'm looking at the PSED feelings and behaviour, Enabling Environments column in Development Matters and drawing a bit of a blank:

8-20 months - 'picture books and stories that focus on a range of emotions, such as 'I am happy''
(I have board books with pictures of happy baby/grumpy baby etc, but can't think of a story)

16-26 months - 'choose books and stories in which characters help and support each other'

22-36 months - 'provide books, stories, puppets that can be used to model responding to other's feelings and being helpful and supportive to them'

Any ideas folks?

alex__17
24-08-2015, 09:42 PM
I have one called Little Pim Feelings, I bought it thinking it'd be a good one in case Ofsted asked for evidence of books covering feelings or languages (has words in French and Spanish too) and it has turned out to be one of the more popular books I own!
It is a board book, has a simple story and flaps to open and bits to slide to reveal real photos of children with emotions, all the preschoolers I have love it and it gets read virtually every day, well worth it, I keep meaning to look into more from the same series.

loocyloo
25-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Sounds good. Thanks for recommendation.

FloraDora
25-08-2015, 08:40 AM
For the older age - Stick man by Julia Donaldson - excellent for stimulating a discussion around the Stick man's feelings.....also good if you want to limit the amount of sticks being brought back from walks!!

All kinds of feelings - Emma Brownjohn - great lift the flap illustrations.

I also have When Sophie gets really really angry....but not wonderfully happy with the fact that she runs a long way ....but good for talking about taking time out and calming and that they are not going to get into trouble ...life carries on after.

Maza
25-08-2015, 09:28 AM
I love the Jennifer Northway stories - 'Lucy's Quarrel' etc.

There is also a lovely series called 'I Feel Jealous' 'I Feel Angry' etc. Can't remember the author but if you googled the titles I'm sure loads would come up.

'Dogger' and 'I Don't Want to Go' - Shirley Hughes

'Have You Filled Your Bucket?'

'What To Do When You Worry Too Much' - Dawn Huebner (Series covers a range of emotions)

Once you start googling you will probably find loads come up. I usually take down the titles of a few and order them at my library. If I think they are worth becoming a permanent resource then I will buy them once I have checked them out. Our library has a section called 'First Experiences' (doctors, dentist, divorce, pre-school, sleepovers etc) and I am sure it has a section on emotions.

I have used puppets a lot over the years and find that they are a fantastic way of modelling positive interactions and the children are always spellbound. I use them as and when something comes up, such as children excluding another child from play, a new child who is missing their parents, a child who just drops resources on the floor and doesn't respect the environment, name calling... I need to get them out today actually...

Bundle
25-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Alex_17, FloraDora and Maza, thank you, that's really useful. I have Dogger, but all the others are new to me. I have googled, but it's sometimes hard to know what you're getting with a book - it's nice to have somewhere to start. And ordering books from the library to check them out first is a great idea, Maza, thank you.

I don't have any puppets, but I have just got some nice soft type dolls from the car boot sale that look as if they may have feelings/misbehave etc... Hmmm.