PDA

View Full Version : tax credits help

shazsull
23-08-2015, 12:41 PM
im very very new to posting so hope this in right place advice needed please
just had a parent with 2 children 4 and 11 need ing 21 hours a week in school time and 70 hrs in holiday time this is also due to a 4 hr (roughly ) commute everyday she is not sure tax credits will help her pay enough she has been using another minder for 3 weeks who is stating 27 hrs a week am i missing something its 12 -7 a day 5 days 2 kids feeling very thick i only usually have after schoolies i know mum is in a low paid job not sure how its going to work out

bunyip
23-08-2015, 05:14 PM
im very very new to posting so hope this in right place advice needed please
just had a parent with 2 children 4 and 11 need ing 21 hours a week in school time and 70 hrs in holiday time this is also due to a 4 hr (roughly ) commute everyday she is not sure tax credits will help her pay enough she has been using another minder for 3 weeks who is stating 27 hrs a week am i missing something its 12 -7 a day 5 days 2 kids feeling very thick i only usually have after schoolies i know mum is in a low paid job not sure how its going to work out

I'd suggest you ask the mum to use the following link:-

https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator

This will allow her to access the HMRC tax credit calculator. Be aware that it will give her an estimate. There is no absolute guarantee of how much she gets until she is actually paying for childcare and submits a claim for real, but this is about the best she can do until then.

Beyond that, all you need do is to give her an estimate of fees for the hours she needs. You or mum will need to work out the average fee per week/month, allowing for the different hours she'll need in term-time and holidays, and deducting for holidays/closures.

A couple of words of caution:-

Beware of trying to advise on TCs or other money matters. You can make her aware of such financial/government assistance schemes, but you must not recommend or advise. We are not regulated financial advisors and if we so much as act like one, we can find ourselves liable for any losses. This may sound a bit OTT - it's not like you're selling her a pension or investments - but such is the way that regulations work or can be legally interpreted, even when you're only trying to help.

Make it absolutely clear that mum will be required to pay you in full, on time, every time, and you do not wait while HMRC get her TC claim sorted out. Far too many CMs end up being paid late - or not at all - while a client is waiting on a TC claim to be processed. She pays you; HMRC reimburses her through TCs. You are not involved in the TC claim, unless HMRC ask you for supporting evidence of payments or you have very good reason and substantive evidence to believe there is any fraud involved.

shazsull
23-08-2015, 08:36 PM
thanks so much ive spoken to another minder with regard s to hours ect it much clearer now ,there was a language difficulty also me being put on the spot with hours needed but hopefully all sorted now x thanks for your advice as well

TinyTinker
24-08-2015, 08:55 AM
problem with tax credits is that they will only tell you how much you will get once you are in the situation - they won't do a 'what if' scernario quote! so mum will have to committ to childcare and the job - and then apply for the tax credits and see what she gets!

I had this before and by the time mum found out what help she was getting it wasn't enough and she quit her job only weeks after starting - and obviously quit childcare also......:(

I wish they could tell you in advance so you know what you can and can't do:(