PDA

View Full Version : Activities and diaries for after school care

Lucy M
23-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Hi all. I'm just about to start doing my first after school pick ups as my daughter starts school this September. I'm just thinking about what types of activities to do with the children. I understand children are pretty exhausted when they first start school and don't want to give them too much to do. I know if I gave them the choice they would probably want to just watch TV! What do others do as after school care for 4/5 year olds? Do you let them watch TV at all? Also as I'm used to doing under fives I tend to do comprehensive diaries and of course development objectives. I know we don't need to do this so much as the school 'takes the lead' on this now but do you still do any sort of assessment and objective setting? Sorry so many questions! Any advice on any of these questions would be much appreciated! Thanks.

sarah707
23-08-2015, 03:46 PM
There is no requirement to complete learning and development records for children when they are in school.

We pick up - walk back - have a big drink (most children in school are dehydrated) and a little snack - play - crafts are always out from earlier if they want to do something - more play - read books if we have time - tidy up - sing songs - eat tea - watch TV or read quietly - go home :D

Lucy M
27-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks Sarah!

TinyTinker
29-08-2015, 08:31 AM
I tend to see how they are when they get here! they are always hungry so tea and snacks are early = sometimes they want to come in and go straight outside and go crazy on scooters and the slide etc, other days they come in and sit on the sofa staring into space! so I don't tend to plan for them, as it would be awful to have an activity ready for them and non of them in the mood to do it :) I find the later in the week it is the less they want to do.

Jelly Baby
29-08-2015, 01:55 PM
The children I have are all pretty long term, they are very clear on what they can & cant do and usually settle straight away into something be it, drawing, laptop, games or tv and I rotate if needed. I don't do any sort of diarys, the little ones paperworks is enough if i'm honest!

Lucy M
09-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks everyone!